Greatest night games at the Etihad

It was a great game and a great performance but the overriding feeling was disappointment that they were still in the game. It should have been about 6-1. We missed a load of chances and Fernandinho and Laporte cost us two goals. Ultimately it cost us the champions league I think.

Agree with everything you say but it was an absolute classic game.

I don’t know why I don’t have the same memory of Hamburg, maybe I had an ear infection that night, I remember it being good but I think it’s been better. For me its
Liverpool & Spurs both in 2019.
Not etihad but shout out to Wigan in the play of 2nd leg at Maine road. The first only time I’ve heard the sound crackle!
I think it's because it was easily the best the coms had seen up to that point. I'd say we've definitely had better since. We'd all struggled with the new stadium up until that night as it started out as such a grey lifeless place until we made our mark there

The Liverpool game in January 2019 was indeed up there due to tension, nerves, excitement of what it all meant, as was the United game in 2012, but for sheer noise, I've never heard anything like the Hamburg European quarter final, and I've been going since the 70s. I remember watching the away leg in the pub the week before. Ireland scored in the first minute to put us 1-0 up and I thought we were going to stuff them. For the next 89 minutes, we got absolutely battered and were lucky to escape with only a 3-1 defeat. I remember the start of the home leg starting very noisy but then being punctured as Hamburg scored again, and silence and tumbleweed descended. As City walked back to the centre circle to kick off, a rumble started and gradually gained volume until it became absolutely deafening. I recall Caicedo putting us 2-1 up and thinking my ear drums were going to burst. The volume was at "Aguero" levels for about 80 minutes and you could see the Hamburg players wilting. Elano smashed one against the bar late on which would've taken it to extra time. Remember that these were the days before we got in the Champions League. As stated by many, there have been countless memorable nights, but for sheer sustained noise, this one wins for me.

I love games like the other night that sort of game stays with you for ever and you are always grateful that you where there.

Atmoaohere wise..

Hamburg

1- 0 win against utd in the first leg of CL semi (2010)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.