Greatest winger to play for City

Labatt Blue said:
Alot has been said of our lack of width recently so I was thinking who does everyone rate as our best ever wide man.I was too young by a few years to see Summerbee play but the word is that he was one ,if not the best we had. What say everyone?
Lee Bradbury if anyone winged it it was him

In my time watching City, it has to be Buzzer Snr, for his all-round contribution to the cause and medals won.

Dennis was my boyhood hero, and Peter Barnes wasn't far behind him in the hero-worship stakes.

David White was such an exciting player. There was no better sight than Whitey in full flight during the late 80s and early 90s, IMHO.

Beagrie provided some great service for Rösler, Walsh and Quinn and brought much excitement to Maine Road during his time with us and SWP was great during his first spell, but disappointed far too often second time around.

Any of these would have been an asset to the current squad, IMHO, as would Meredith and Brook, I reckon. I would love to have seen those two play.

Another question for Gary. Was Buzzer jnr the first third generation professional footballer?

Vienna_70 said:
Another question for Gary. Was Buzzer jnr the first third generation professional footballer?

That's a great question and to be honest I don't know. In the early days of football there were some notable footballing familes, so I'm not convinced he would be. However, I can't personally think of any earlier 3 generation footballers who have each had decent/average careers (or better).

Pity Mike's dad didn't play for City as well then they'd have been the 1st with the Blues.

kismet said:
Eric Brook, again and again and again

Gary James what are your views on Brook

This is a profile I wrote on Eric Brook for "Manchester The Greatest City" (published 1997):

MAINE CITIZENS NUMBER 7 - ERIC BROOK

Eric Brook is City's record goalscorer and fourth in the list of most appearances, but he very nearly became a hero at rivals Manchester United before joining the Blues. Louis Rocca, United's former chief scout, had been watching Eric play for Wath Athletic as an amateur and was so impressed that he decided to keep a close watch on the player when he moved to Barnsley. Rocca quickly noticed another fine Barnsley player - and future Blue - Fred Tilson and kept in close contact with Barnsley manager Jimmy Commins - a good friend of the United scout.

After a few months Commins met Rocca in Manchester and told him that United could sign both players for a combined fee of £5,000. He also warned Rocca: "If you don't take them, they are going to City."

United were still a relatively poor side at this time and, despite considerable effort of Rocca's part, the two men joined City in March 1928. Brook made his debut in the 2-0 victory over Grimsby town on 17th March before almost 50,000 at Maine Road and went on to appear in 450 League games for the Blues plus the 3 matches in August and September 1939 which were expunged from the records. He also scored a magnificent 158 League goals (plus one against Leicester in August 1939) which leaves him at the top of the Blues goalscorers table.

Probably his most impressive goal came in the 1934 Cup match with Stoke. Watched by a record crowd if 84,569, Brook fired home a swirling left foot shot from a spot on the left wing midway between the corner flag at the Platt Lane end and the Kippax tunnel (close to the 1980s segregation fence). Stoke's Welsh international 'keeper, Roy John, stretched to reach the ball but was helpless as it entered the top corner just beyond the reach of his left arm. It was an incredible goal and was variously described as a fluke, a freak shot, or a well placed, well thought out attempt. Whatever it was, it guaranteed a return to Wembley for Brook who had received a runners' up medal the previous April.

At Wembley in 1934 Brook was delighted when his good friend and team mate Fred Tilson scored twice to bring the Cup home to Manchester.

In addition to F.A. Cup medals, Brook was also an important member of the City side that won the League Championship for the first time in 1937. He was an ever-present that year and also contributed twenty goals to the Blue cause. In 1931 and 1936 he was the club's top scorer and, during his time at Maine Road, he made 18 international appearances. He also played against Wales in a Wartime international on 18th November 1939, alongside Frank Swift, Bert Sproston, and Joe Mercer. Sadly, it was his journey to another wartime international that brought a premature end to his football career. After missing the train at Leeds, he and Sam Barkas were travelling by car to Newcastle for a game against Scotland when they were involved in a car crash near Ripon. 32 year old Brook received a fractured skull and was told he would never be able to head the ball again.

Not put off by the accident, he later took a job as a coach driver in his native Mexborough, then for two years he became the landlord of the Albion Inn, Halifax. Afterwards he returned to Manchester as a crane driver at Metrovicks. He passed away at home in Minsterley Parade, Wythenshawe on 31st March 1965 at a time when City were enduring their worst ever period. He was only 57.

Eric Brook will always be remembered as a true Blue hero who, over 30 years after his death, remains the highest City goalscorer of all time.

(of course the profile was published in 1997 so "worst ever period" should mean "worst ever period at that time").

Thanks Gary that is brilliant as always.

I never realised that Brook ended up in Halifax.

You latest book is for me, the Bible on City.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.