Greta Thunberg

Oh dear. Are you not getting enough attention, petal?

Is there anything in that post that is untrue? Genuine question as I would like it to be bollocks but the poster tends not to be factually incorrect from what I've seen. Like I said earlier I would prefer the message to not be muddied and used by others to sidetrack a pretty important issue.

I'm not convinced.Using/brainwashing a child to further that message doesn't sit right with me.....but each to their own.

It's speculation, and a bit hyperbolic, to say she's been brainwashed, but the message on climate change is simply not wrong. It might be a sad indictment of the world we live in, but it often takes wealthy backers to get your message across. Its not like she's using the platform she's got to campaign for something superfluous.

Everyone takes it seriously. Just not as a bigger threat, because it isn't. No matter how much that dickhead Attenborough may witter on about the fate of whatever furry/scaley/feathery thing he tries to pull at your heart strings with.

That's utter bollocks. I'm sorry but it's clear that 99% of humans don't care about it.

Although I'm concerned about the welfare of our planets incredible bio-diversity, I can understand selfish attitudes towards other living creatures. If they're tucked away on Antarctica, who gives a damn, right? As long as you get your shiny new 20 mpg 4x4, that all your mates love, that's all that counts right? Imagine all those superficial, materialistic women you'll attract wearing those posh clothes that an entire sea was drained to produce. All so worth it!

Hell, in 50 years time when sea levels rise, we see an increase in extreme weather patterns, we see food shortages etc, it won't be us rich Brits starving to death, it'll be those 'people' in Africa who're screwed. However, they're tucked away on another continent, who gives a damn, right?

That's utter bollocks. I'm sorry but it's clear that 99% of humans don't care about it.
Well the above is clearly nonsense. You can barely have a conversation without someone mentioning it. We don't care enough to do *more* about it (than is already being done), because most people have a sense of proportion about the likely risks and scale of the problem.

It's speculation, and a bit hyperbolic, to say she's been brainwashed, but the message on climate change is simply not wrong. It might be a sad indictment of the world we live in, but it often takes wealthy backers to get your message across. Its not like she's using the platform she's got to campaign for something superfluous.
Climate Change is a political movement, not just a scientific one. There's all sorts of reasons why scientists are bigging up the issue - peer pressure; funding pressure; desire to see action; career opportunity... as well as genuine beliefs of course. I am not saying all scientists are bent. And then you have the issue of how does the very complex scientific data get translated into a format which the layman can understand? By jounalists and politicians, all with their own agendas, and many of whom who have no scientific background whatsoever.

Here's the Earth's temperature record, going back millions of years, courtesy of the British Geological Survey:

https://www.bgs.ac.uk/discoveringGeology/climateChange/climateThroughTime/map.html

Note the Permian period, 298.9-252.2 million years ago, when temperatures were much higher than they are now. Note the Cretaceous, 145-66 million years ago, when sea levels were much higher. Much higher in fact than they are event predicted to rise under the current IPCC predictions.

And yet I read the other day that the IPCC is suggest all coral reefs will be destroyed unless we constrain temperature rises to 1.5C or less. (And 90% will be lost at 1.5C). Really? I wonder where the present day coral reefs have come from given they must have all been wiped out previously?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.