Greta Thunberg

No life?

This is an rediculous exaguration imho of tackling the issue of consumerism. You don't do away with the sort of materialism that is usefull for humanity, rather you disincentivise conspicious consumption, miimise resource waste in advertisement and push for higher product stadards.

I got a tablet, a laptop, a desktop, a small smartphone and a bigger smartphone. the phones, tablet and desktop are all more than 8 years old, in fine condition and performing as needed. I do not change electronics purely for fashion and thats one of the most crucial distinctions in the story of consumerism. We don't need to take away functionality from humans nessecarily to reduce waste, we need to disincentivise the highly inpactfull culture of throwing functional things away just for fashion. We need to make our products more durable and exhaust their use as long as they can provide it, rather than incentivise a culture of throwing away which has been pushed in the past by advertisement.

We will certaintly still need nuclear and it's pragmaticly part of "green sollutions". Pitty that Nuclear currently doesn't evolve as fast as other alternative technoligy's like Solar and Wind, even with a breaktrough in fusion now i guess it would take years if not decades to build it up to meaningfull output. One can expect that nuclear will have a fair market share besides wind and solar when moved to green energy, with solar graduatly gaining territory i think as technoligy evolves.

I have to agree with the consumerism argument and certainly companies are making products that are actually designed to fail or be replaced, obviously for money.

This is where they need to be incentivised and encouraged though. Why not for example reduce VAT or taxes on items that have an established product recycling program? Apple for example offer this and you can trade in your phone to be suitably recycled for a discount on a new one. Diesel scrappage is another.

The issue with the green lobby is all they want to do is punish companies through tax and regulation and that is not going to work because ultimately it is customers and people that suffer.

The issue with the green lobby is all they want to do is punish companies through tax and regulation and that is not going to work because ultimately it is customers and people that suffer.

Regulations and tax work, it's also that you cannot put it as extreme as having no regulations as if companys would be for example allowed to dump lead in youre drinking water.

Youre argumetn is probably that in youre oppinion the Greens have too much regulations and taxes.

Tomorrow isn't happening and that's the real issue here.

Solutions are years off and us humans have to drastically alter our way of lives to even begin to start the process.

No tv, no phones, no pc's no laptops, no more constant demand for tech and consumerism.

Check the carbon footprint out for mobile phones that everyone wants every 12 months, especially from the young who are demanding the change, its scary.
add no more births and we might have a chance

I have to agree with the consumerism argument and certainly companies are making products that are actually designed to fail or be replaced, obviously for money.

This is where they need to be incentivised and encouraged though. Why not for example reduce VAT or taxes on items that have an established product recycling program? Apple for example offer this and you can trade in your phone to be suitably recycled for a discount on a new one. Diesel scrappage is another.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.