Greta Thunberg

Its a good point, why are they not using solar power?
They say they are going to in future. But as they are a massive oil producing state, I am wondering (a) whether that's true and (b) just how ironic and disingenuous that is, considering they are not, I am sure, considering reducing their oil supply.

Slightly off topic perhaps but I find the idea that Qatar can air condition an entire athletics stadium - with god only knows how much energy and fossil fuel burning is needed to power that - and demands that I should unplug my phone charger to save energy, rather incompatible.

My argument is against them and not you unplugging your phone.

The argument needs to be concentrated at government level, it really does.

Lambasting the public for watching tele is ridiculous, when as you say, countries like Qatar and more so China, are taking the piss.

They say they are going to in future. But as they are a massive oil producing state, I am wondering (a) whether that's true and (b) just how ironic and disingenuous that is, considering they are not, I am sure, considering reducing their oil supply.
About on a par with the UK. Qatar's gig is gas, not oil.

Certainly not disagreeing with the insanity of air-conditioning an outdoor stadium though. That's appalling regardless of which country is doing it.

Its a good point, why are they not using solar power?
There are efforts underway. Certainly here in the UAE, which has one of - if not the - biggest solar farms in the world. I'm sure Qatar is working towards something similar.

The major problem with solar in this region is that the sand particles that inevitably fill the air cause extensive damage to solar panels, making them extremely inefficient. Science will find an answer to this problem eventually but it will take a while yet til solar use becomes widespread.

My argument is against them and not you unplugging your phone.

The argument needs to be concentrated at government level, it really does.

Lambasting the public for watching tele is ridiculous, when as you say, countries like Qatar and more so China, are taking the piss.

Totally agree, which is why I find the behaviour of the morons from Extinction Rebellion disrupting our daily lives here in the UK - a country whose *entire* CO2 output amounts to 1% of the total - so intensely infuriating.

About on a par with the UK. Qatar's gig is gas, not oil.

Certainly not disagreeing with the insanity of air-conditioning an outdoor stadium though. That's appalling regardless of which country is doing it.

I"d assumed Qatar was a big oil producer - I stand corrected. Agreed about air-conditioning entire stadia in 45 degree heat.

Totally agree, which is why I find the behaviour of the morons from Extinction Rebellion disrupting our daily lives here in the UK - a country whose *entire* CO2 output amounts to 1% of the total - so intensely infuriating.

I"d assumed Qatar was a big oil producer - I stand corrected. Agreed about air-conditioning entire stadia in 45 degree heat.

We are I think about 274 days into this year, how many days have been disrupted for you personally Mr Chips? Mine is currently 0.

I get that but I’m not sure what else they can do to make it at the top of the agenda and make everyone listen.

Watching hippies dancing on a bridge doesn’t inspire people I appreciate that but disruption is the only thing I can think of.

I want the governments of the world to get together and fucking sort it out. Half of our energy is clean already in the UK, just invest a lot more and then take what we’ve done on the road, showing others how they too can do it.

That’s very oversimplified I know but in a nutshell that’s what I want from the UK government.

I think in the future we’ll have the technology to alter the climate and I think we just need to buy our future selves some time.

Leaving the climate change argument to one side as I am not a scientist, if the worse thing that happens following this admittidely slightly annoying girl ( why is she not in school), is our seas and rivers are cleaner,we have more trees and our air quality cleaner then what is the problem.

Slightly off topic perhaps but I find the idea that Qatar can air condition an entire athletics stadium - with god only knows how much energy and fossil fuel burning is needed to power that - and demands that I should unplug my phone charger to save energy, rather incompatible.

Especially an entire athletics stadium with nobody in it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.