Greta Thunberg

There are efforts underway. Certainly here in the UAE, which has one of - if not the - biggest solar farms in the world. I'm sure Qatar is working towards something similar.

The major problem with solar in this region is that the sand particles that inevitably fill the air cause extensive damage to solar panels, making them extremely inefficient. Science will find an answer to this problem eventually but it will take a while yet til solar use becomes widespread.
There are other forms of solar power that don't involve solar panels though. The issue in the Middle East is that there's a limited motivation to build it when you've got an unlimited supply of fossil fuels.

I"d assumed Qatar was a big oil producer - I stand corrected. Agreed about air-conditioning entire stadia in 45 degree heat.
Is that still happening? I thought the whole point of making it a winter tournament was so that games can be played in more reasonable temperatures.

There are other forms of solar power that don't involve solar panels though. The issue in the Middle East is that there's a limited motivation to build it when you've got an unlimited supply of fossil fuels.
There's an element of that, yes, but they'd much rather sell their oil than use it!

Is that still happening? I thought the whole point of making it a winter tournament was so that games can be played in more reasonable temperatures.
They're using some sort of cooling technology for the Athletics World Championships that are happening now.

I get that but I’m not sure what else they can do to make it at the top of the agenda and make everyone listen.

Watching hippies dancing on a bridge doesn’t inspire people I appreciate that but disruption is the only thing I can think of.

I want the governments of the world to get together and fucking sort it out. Half of our energy is clean already in the UK, just invest a lot more and then take what we’ve done on the road, showing others how they too can do it.

That’s very oversimplified I know but in a nutshell that’s what I want from the UK government.

I think in the future we’ll have the technology to alter the climate and I think we just need to buy our future selves some time.

Has half clean energy usage been achieved thanks to hippies or the protest movement?

Once climate change is solved the hippies will just go back to glueing themselves to arms factory fences which funnily enough pay for some of the investment to stop climate change.

These people do not contribute nor help in anyway whatsoever.

We are I think about 274 days into this year, how many days have been disrupted for you personally Mr Chips? Mine is currently 0.
I dunno, 5 or 6, whilst I was working in London earlier this year.

That's hardly the point though. It was fucking inconvenient, a total waste of time, directed at entirely the wrong people and extremely annoying. Tossers the lot of them, absolute tossers and hippies half of them. The dungaree and count was huge. Get a bloody job the layabouts.

I get that but I’m not sure what else they can do to make it at the top of the agenda and make everyone listen.

Watching hippies dancing on a bridge doesn’t inspire people I appreciate that but disruption is the only thing I can think of.

I want the governments of the world to get together and fucking sort it out. Half of our energy is clean already in the UK, just invest a lot more and then take what we’ve done on the road, showing others how they too can do it.

That’s very oversimplified I know but in a nutshell that’s what I want from the UK government.

I think in the future we’ll have the technology to alter the climate and I think we just need to buy our future selves some time.

Half of our *electicity* can at times be provided by renewables, but not reliably and sustainably so, and also that doesn't account for the still vast amounts of fossil fuels being burnt on transport and for heating. We are nowhere near 50% of energy needs being met by renewables.

Our total electricity generation was 86.9 Terawatt hours in Q1 2019 of which some 31.1 came from renewables.

However, our total gas demand was 283 TWh - some of which went into the 86.9 above, but only a small part of it. Most of our gas consumption goes on heating.

To get anywhere near zero carbon, at a guess we'd need something like 10 to 15x the current renewables capacity. What percentage of cars still rely on petrol or diesel for most or all of their miles?

Last edited:
Has half clean energy usage been achieved thanks to hippies or the protest movement?

Once climate change is solved the hippies will just go back to glueing themselves to arms factory fences which funnily enough pay for some of the investment to stop climate change.

These people do not contribute nor help in anyway whatsoever.

No it hasn’t but then again it’s nowhere near enough.

I don’t like hippies but half clean energy isn’t going to cut it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.