Greta Thunberg

you simply cannot bolt so many nations and cultures together expecting them all to function like Germany or France.

In January 1871 a number of Central European states were bolted together. Some, like Bavaria, had little in common with others, like Prussia. Some were mountainous, others flat. Some industrial, others agricultural. Some Catholic, others Protestant. They all spoke German, but even then a number of the German speaking nations wanted no part of this Frankenstein’s monster.

The resultant nation is called Germany. It’s not doing badly.

To say that you cannot bolt so many nations and cultures together and expect them to function like Germany is to ignore the fact that Germany is itself a nation that was bolted together.

In January 1871 a number of Central European states were bolted together. Some, like Bavaria, had little in common with others, like Prussia. Some were mountainous, others flat. Some industrial, others agricultural. Some Catholic, others Protestant. They all spoke German, but even then a number of the German speaking nations wanted no part of this Frankenstein’s monster.

To say that you cannot bolt so many nations and cultures together and expect them to function like Germany is to ignore the fact that Germany is itself a nation that was bolted together.
The Bavarians might want a word with you on that...

And those same bolted together states got into their heads they could become an Empire and went to war with the rest of the world... twice.

'Great' for Germany, not so great for it's neighbours. Ambition can be dangerous. But they also shared the same culture and religion, so it was much easier for these duchy's to unify, which is essential when you want to work together with others. It was also initally done to expand the influence of Prussia, not to create a Federal German State.

And the driving force behind this sense of 'unification'? Nationalism. 'German' Nationalism.

Last edited:

Playing Devils advocate, as I like our German friends, things did go horrifically bad for Germany at the beginning of the 20th century.

I’m not saying Germany shouldn’t have been formed nor that it doing so directly started anything but things did badly go wrong and it is maybe so, that the cultures that merged in this way had some contribution, if only a tiny amount.

I’m also not saying the EU will result in a similar fashion but there must be warning signs and a break to this deeper federalism.

Anyway, this is for the Brexit thread and I’ve only said this to try and add to the debate.

They all had to behave or the Prussians would give 'em a good thumping!

The Bavarians might want a word with you on that...

And those same bolted together states got into their heads they could become an Empire and went to war with the rest of the world... twice.

'Great' for Germany, not so great for it's neighbours. Ambition can be dangerous. But they also shared the same culture and religion, so it was much easier for these duchy's to unify, which is essential when you want to work together with others. It was also initally done to expand the influence of Prussia, not to create a Federal German State.

And the driving force behind this sense of 'unification'? Nationalism. 'German' Nationalism.

Absolute nonsense. The driving force was Bismarck. They shared the same religion like the orange and the green do in Northern Ireland. It was not easy for duchies to unify because the heads of the individual states were essentially turkeys voting for Christmas.

If you want to debate history it does help to know it.

Playing Devils advocate, as I like our German friends, things did go horrifically bad for Germany at the beginning of the 20th century.

I’m not saying Germany shouldn’t have been formed nor that it doing so directly started anything but things did badly go wrong and it is maybe so, that the cultures that merged in this way had some contribution, if only a tiny amount.

I’m also not saying the EU will result in a similar fashion but there must be warning signs and a break to this deeper federalism.

Anyway, this is for the Brexit thread and I’ve only said this to try and add to the debate.

Are you suggesting that Kaiser Wilhem and Adolf Hitler were inevitable consequences of unification in 1871?

As soon as you made this comment I knew you were going to be inundated with "but Hitler" comments lmao

Are you suggesting that Kaiser Wilhem and Adolf Hitler were inevitable consequences of unification in 1871?

No, I didn’t suggest that it directly impacted it. I said that it may have lead to some cultural issues within the country that transpired into what later happened but it definitely didn’t directly make it inevitable.

They then did try and create an empire from it.

You could argue though that without it happening then WW1 and WW2 wouldn’t have happened but it’s a terribly pointless argument as you could say that about any country and any war.

My point is that there are dangers to merging different cultures in such a way.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.