Greta Thunberg

Absolute nonsense. The driving force was Bismarck. They shared the same religion like the orange and the green do in Northern Ireland. It was not easy for duchies to unify because the heads of the individual states were essentially turkeys voting for Christmas.

If you want to debate history it does help to know it.
A driving force was also the Franco-Prussian War of 1870 in which Bismarck later "unified" the nation under the sense of German Nationalism in the face of European 'hostility'. You ignored the Bavarian issue, you ignored the element of Bismarck wanting to extend Prussian influence in Central Europe and you've made no comment on the fact that nationalism was also a major factor in how that unification came about.

It helps not to be selective and look at the broader picture and assess the attitudes of the time. And being a tad more respectful wouldn't hurt.

Are you suggesting that Kaiser Wilhem and Adolf Hitler were inevitable consequences of unification in 1871?
Since the whole premise of German unification was on the back of creating a sense of a German identity, a strong German Empire, one which went to war with European rivals in order to establish itself as the most dominant force in Europe, people with attitudes like Wilhelm and Hitler were unavoidable and indeed inevitable in the new German State.

Of course when posters bring up a German empire going to war with the rest of the world they must have been talking about Mr Blobby, my mistake.
I was referring to the Franco-Prussian War of 1870, the one which resulted in the German Empire being formed, the same German Empire which went to war with the rest of Europe, and whose ideology inspired others who believed in it, to continue on that cause.

You're the one whose mindset immediately turned to Hitler.

I was referring to the Franco-Prussian War of 1870, the one which resulted in the German Empire being formed, the same German Empire which went to war with the rest of Europe, and whose ideology inspired others who believed in it, to continue on that cause.

You're the one whose mindset immediately turned to Hitler.

It’s a distinct lack of knowledge of history to make the leap to Hitler without considering everything in between.

That is his problem.

A driving force was also the Franco-Prussian War of 1870 in which Bismarck later "unified" the nation under the sense of German Nationalism in the face of European 'hostility'. You ignored the Bavarian issue, you ignored the element of Bismarck wanting to extend Prussian influence in Central Europe and you've made no comment on the fact that nationalism was also a major factor in how that unification came about.

It helps not to be selective and look at the broader picture and assess the attitudes of the time. And being a tad more respectful wouldn't hurt.

I ’ignored’ lots of issues that were all part of a complex historical picture. Bismarck was a politician who played the cards he had. The Franco Prussian war was part of the picture certainly, as was the more limited union of northern German states some years before. Your comment that unification was the product of German nationalism was facile and got what it deserved.

It’s a distinct lack of knowledge of history to make the leap to Hitler without considering everything in between.

That is his problem.
A common theme amongst the Bluemoon intellects; that total lack of civility. There are better ways of disagreeing with others.

I ’ignored’ lots of issues that were all part of a complex historical picture. Bismarck was a politician who played the cards he had. The Franco Prussian war was part of the picture certainly, as was the more limited union of northern German states some years before. Your comment that unification was the product of German nationalism was facile and got what it deserved.
No it wasn't, German Nationalism WAS one of the factors in fuelling support for unification, not the way you've misinterpreted. They'd just beaten the French their old foe, they'd annexed land, and they'd done it together.

You've just read my post wrong.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.