Guardiola: “If the club wants me, I want to stay here”

I mean I don’t doubt for a second that if his contract was up this summer he would consider his job done and go take a long break…

He has 2 years left though, plenty of time for him to find the fire and extend again.

If we keep hold of him for two more seasons, I'll be delighted. That'd be nine seasons, three times as long as anywhere else that he's managed at. He might just say at that point that that's enough, and that he'd fancy a sabbatical from the game for a year or so. Go away, recharge the batteries then come back to, maybe, a national team gig. Regardless of the support he clearly gets from the hierarchy at the club, I imagine he puts himself under intense pressure to be the best he can be. That has to be physically and mentally draining.
Two years more are enough time for another champions League trophy....then we will see...

Imagine the meltdown if Pep was still here coaching at 65..The red tops wouldn't be able to handle it.
Hodgson is 75, and just finished the end of the season whilst officially keeping the door open to jobs. That gives us… potentially another 23+ years of Pep ;))

That aside, realistically, the job does tax him, we know this and he has talked of this season being the most draining, at some point he may want to take a break again. We have at least got two more years, he won’t end his time before 2025.

If he does end up taking a sabbatical, I genuinely believe we should give him an offer of one years ‘gardening leave’ or some phrase like that, keep him on the books, and appoint an interim for a year ready for a rejuvenated Pep to return and pick up where he left off. I’m not saying he would definitely take the offer, but it would be worth it if he did.

I do think he will, at some stage, go to another countries’ league, one he has yet to manage in. Serie A, Ligue 1, Eredivisie, or another continent altogether. I recon Ajax would appeal to him due to the Cruyff factor / birthplace of total football.

International football, if it ever happens, will be the very, very last swansong. Spain is never happening. If England does, the FA will do his nut in.

Keep enjoying him, and these times, blues. We are literally top of the world. “Drink it in”.

Hodgson is 75, and just finished the end of the season whilst officially keeping the door open to jobs. That gives us… potentially another 23+ years of Pep ;))

That aside, realistically, the job does tax him, we know this and he has talked of this season being the most draining, at some point he may want to take a break again. We have at least got two more years, he won’t end his time before 2025.

If he does end up taking a sabbatical, I genuinely believe we should give him an offer of one years ‘gardening leave’ or some phrase like that, keep him on the books, and appoint an interim for a year ready for a rejuvenated Pep to return and pick up where he left off. I’m not saying he would definitely take the offer, but it would be worth it if he did.

I do think he will, at some stage, go to another countries’ league, one he has yet to manage in. Serie A, Ligue 1, Eredivisie, or another continent altogether. I recon Ajax would appeal to him due to the Cruyff factor / birthplace of total football.

International football, if it ever happens, will be the very, very last swansong. Spain is never happening. If England does, the FA will do his nut in.

Keep enjoying him, and these times, blues. We are literally top of the world. “Drink it in”.
- He won't go to Ajax, at least not at this moment under the leadership of the current Ajax board.
- If he goes to Italy, it won't be Juve or Inter or AC Milan. Hopefully, it's... Brescia because many years ago, he said “If I go back to work in Italy, it will only be to train Brescia. And I will do it for free.” I don't particularly love Brescia, but just want to see that he can keep his promise (this's a huge promise, especially considering the positions of Pep vs. Brescia nowadays): https://thesefootballtimes.co/2020/...years-in-serie-a-that-helped-shape-guardiola/
So... I just hope he won't go to Serie A, he still has so much more to give to the football world.
- France, which club? PSG? That's a joke of a club, totally a mess at the top management layer, not a chance he would go there.
- Of course, not Germany, not Spain.

So basically, just hope he stays here with us for a long, long time.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.