Guitarists thread

The favourite I have is a Westfield Les Paul copy which sounds "meh" but ive had many people say what a beautiful piece it is and how fantastic it sounds. I know you'll say "wrong colour! but I love it!

31lnJPCp-qL._SX425_.jpg

I have a Fender Mustang amp running the Fuse software. Downloading preset sounds is a god send for me - I've literally lost days fiddling with pedals etc but as you can only buy an expensive footswitch for it to change sounds im looking into some Boss boards - any recommendations? The GT 8 and 10 look decent to me.

I have only been playing for 8 months am I allowed in here? Fair to say I am absolutely hooked now and don't doubt I will end up with at least a dozen myself in the coming years.

Can't justify a Gibson j200 yet, so got this one instead:

Epiphone-EJ-200CE-NA-20141219203922.jpg

sometimes I just open the case to stare at it :)

I have only been playing for 8 months am I allowed in here? Fair to say I am absolutely hooked now and don't doubt I will end up with at least a dozen myself in the coming years.

Can't justify a Gibson j200 yet, so got this one instead:

Epiphone-EJ-200CE-NA-20141219203922.jpg

sometimes I just open the case to stare at it :)

She's a beaut. Epiphone make some really good Gibson copies. I've had a Les Paul standard and an SG custom (the cream one with three humbuckers and gold hardware). Both were excellent although my friend's Epiphone Les Paul was pretty poor. I guess it just depends from guitar to guitar.

One thing I'll say though is that, if you have the money, don't worry about having to justify the price of whatever guitar you want. They're all overpriced scraps of metal and planks of wood anyway so there's hardly any point trying to avoid getting ripped off.

A lot of beginners I've known in the past avoid buying what they want because they don't feel like they've put in the hours to justify the cost. Truth is, if you're playing your dream guitar which sounds amazing and has been set up perectly by yourself or someone else, it will be infinitely more rewarding to play and you'll just want to practise more and more.

A rather long winded way of me saying treat yourself haha

She's a beaut. Epiphone make some really good Gibson copies. I've had a Les Paul standard and an SG custom (the cream one with three humbuckers and gold hardware). Both were excellent although my friend's Epiphone Les Paul was pretty poor. I guess it just depends from guitar to guitar.

One thing I'll say though is that, if you have the money, don't worry about having to justify the price of whatever guitar you want. They're all overpriced scraps of metal and planks of wood anyway so there's hardly any point trying to avoid getting ripped off.

A lot of beginners I've known in the past avoid buying what they want because they don't feel like they've put in the hours to justify the cost. Truth is, if you're playing your dream guitar which sounds amazing and has been set up perectly by yourself or someone else, it will be infinitely more rewarding to play and you'll just want to practise more and more.

A rather long winded way of me saying treat yourself haha

very true mate- and don't worry I don't need any encouragement to splash out on a new one! We are off to the US for our 10th anniversary this July so the time might be right for a suitable memento.

I agree that when you start out, you have to love the guitar you are playing and want to pick it up at every opportunity. Of course so many beginners quit when they are trying to learn on a 100 dollar hatchet job that is uncomfortable to play and sounds awful

very true mate- and don't worry I don't need any encouragement to splash out on a new one! We are off to the US for our 10th anniversary this July so the time might be right for a suitable memento.

I agree that when you start out, you have to love the guitar you are playing and want to pick it up at every opportunity. Of course so many beginners quit when they are trying to learn on a 100 dollar hatchet job that is uncomfortable to play and sounds awful

Aye, I'm a collector of old broken and cheap guitars and they can play great if you give them a hell of a lot of tlc but the tone still isn't there most of the time.

The range of guitars in the U.S. is just mind boggling compared to here and usually a bit more cheap so I'm sure you'll find more than enough to swoon over.

I've been playing for 10 years now. Only 3 guitars so far, can't wait until I get some more money and can expand to a haul like yours @Bombo, what pickups are in the goldtop? Are they humbuckers or P90s?

So far my modest collection is a 2007 American standard Strat, 2004 Mexican standard Tele, last one is a 2009 Baby Taylor.

Amp is an Orange AD30 run through Orange 2x12 close back cab. I keep the pedals simple: Proco Rat, TC Electronics Hall of Fame reverb and the Orange channel switcher.

Me and my band recorded recently, hired a JCM800 and 1960 angled cab. I did a few parts with the engineer's Tele custom through the JCM and an Angry Charlie (very nice pedal). He said he'd 'never heard it sound so mean'! Great tone and it has got me thinking of modding my tele to have the US bridge pup and a WRH in the neck. Only worry with doing that is the difference between the single coil and humbucker outputs. Unlike the custom my tele only has 2 pots.

Here are the two Fenders (Magnum - like the ice cream & Sergio)

and the Orange

Hopefully in the future the line up can look more like this:
Strat
Tele
Gibson LP Custom

Orange AD30
JCM800 (an original)
Orange 2x12
4x12 (Orange/Marshall)

HoF
Boss DD7
Boss TU2/3
Rat

Better start saving...

I need a bass pedal, any recommendations??

What do you want it to do? Just a boost? The bassist in my band has a bass muff if boost and fuzz is what you're after, sounds pretty good with his Jazz Bass.

Been playing a long time, had a shedload of gear, mostly toys and trinkets, but whittling it down now. 2014 Les Paul Classic with BK Mules, 76 Ibanez Destroyer, 74 Antoria strat, couple of other old Jap copies of middling standard. I built an 18w Marshall head from a kit and have a 1964 Selmer T&B 50 too, not that it works very often. Best pedal from dozens is easily the Kingsley Jester, a two-valve boost and overdrive pre-amp thing, solved that problem finally.

I agree with the idea above that you should really just buy the best you can afford (or can't, in my case) as otherwise you'll end up like me with a pile of meh-quality gear that added up costs more than one nice piece of kit. The LP cost a grand, I must have unloaded that much on 2 or 3 project guitars which never really had a chance anyway.

I've been playing for 10 years now. Only 3 guitars so far, can't wait until I get some more money and can expand to a haul like yours @Bombo, what pickups are in the goldtop? Are they humbuckers or P90s?

So far my modest collection is a 2007 American standard Strat, 2004 Mexican standard Tele, last one is a 2009 Baby Taylor.

Amp is an Orange AD30 run through Orange 2x12 close back cab. I keep the pedals simple: Proco Rat, TC Electronics Hall of Fame reverb and the Orange channel switcher.

Me and my band recorded recently, hired a JCM800 and 1960 angled cab. I did a few parts with the engineer's Tele custom through the JCM and an Angry Charlie (very nice pedal). He said he'd 'never heard it sound so mean'! Great tone and it has got me thinking of modding my tele to have the US bridge pup and a WRH in the neck. Only worry with doing that is the difference between the single coil and humbucker outputs. Unlike the custom my tele only has 2 pots.

Here are the two Fenders (Magnum - like the ice cream & Sergio)

and the Orange

Hopefully in the future the line up can look more like this:
Strat
Tele
Gibson LP Custom

Orange AD30
JCM800 (an original)
Orange 2x12
4x12 (Orange/Marshall)

HoF
Boss DD7
Boss TU2/3
Rat

Better start saving...

What do you want it to do? Just a boost? The bassist in my band has a bass muff if boost and fuzz is what you're after, sounds pretty good with his Jazz Bass.

The boost would be cool, more distortion. That much out there I dunno where to start, even now I plug that sucker into a hi fi. Sounds alright but I think I'm gonna break it. add an amp to the pedal.

Funny to see this thread appear, i used to play guitar a lot as a teenager but stopped playing about 20 years ago, for the last 6 months I have been thinking about getting another and learning how to play again. I was amazed how much is available nowadays on Youtube and the like to help.

Anyway, yesterday I picked up an Epiphone Les Paul and can't wait to get started.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.