Guitarists thread

Fully agree with the above - got myself a Squire Tele years ago and it's the only electric guitar I have now. Just feels perfect in the hand. And now I've (well, my mate) put a twin rail at the bridge it sounds like a beast and perfect for the music in the band I'm in. Have an old Westfield acoustic as well, which is like my best mate. :-)

Little story, I used to teach this young guy, he was quite brilliant at 17, his only guitar was a Korean Squier strat, it was quite roadworn due to the fact that he sat in his bedroom for hours every day playing it, it actually looked very cool, anyway I asked him if he was wanting an upgrade at any time and his immediate answer was NO, I love my Squier, its my best friend, he'd even set it up himself.
It made a refreshing change as most young guys say, yeah this is crap I want a USA strat or Les Paul etc etc

Little story, I used to teach this young guy, he was quite brilliant at 17, his only guitar was a Korean Squier strat, it was quite roadworn due to the fact that he sat in his bedroom for hours every day playing it, it actually looked very cool, anyway I asked him if he was wanting an upgrade at any time and his immediate answer was NO, I love my Squier, its my best friend, he'd even set it up himself.
It made a refreshing change as most young guys say, yeah this is crap I want a USA strat or Les Paul etc etc
From my own experience if you're going fender the Mexicans play and sound better than the American models. Now tbf that's probably because a luthier in the states doesn't get out of bed and scratch his sack for less than a grand which doesn't leave much for time and materials but the Mex are better. Not too keen on the Korean ones but tbf with electrics it's somewhere around the region of 75% fingers, 20% amp and 5% guitar. So I'd go for playing comfort rather than sound anyway.

I own a Hofner Verythin and a Eastwood 12 string. I am left-handed and so the Hofner is in dark red as that's the only colour they come in for left handers. Got a quote for a respray but sacked it off when they quoted £300!!!!!

I own a Hofner Verythin and a Eastwood 12 string. I am left-handed and so the Hofner is in dark red as that's the only colour they come in for left handers. Got a quote for a respray but sacked it off when they quoted £300!!!!!

I love the dark red mate...keep it

Nice guitars, I love the blonde Fenders. I was going to by a LP special just like yours but held back because it didn't feel right, that's my problem with the Les Pauls. I've tried a hell of a lot (standards, specials, traditionals etc) but none has felt right yet, Fender necks seem to fit better!

I used to have a Strat and I loved it, but I ended up selling it. As for Les Pauls I've had 2 and they've been great :)

Not overly enamored with the Telecaster, it's such a difference to the Les Paul..

I used to have a Strat and I loved it, but I ended up selling it. As for Les Pauls I've had 2 and they've been great :)

Not overly enamored with the Telecaster, it's such a difference to the Les Paul..

I think that's the problem I have too (but the other way round). I've had the strat for 9 years now, the tele is a recent purchase. It was my only guitar for 8 years so everything else feels weird, other Fenders less so because the bodies are similar weights and the necks similar shapes but as you said Les Pauls are very different.

I love the sound of LPs, all my favourite guitarists use(d) them someday I'll find one I like too. Ebony finishes are beautiful, one of my favourite with wine red (ducks).

I think that's the problem I have too (but the other way round). I've had the strat for 9 years now, the tele is a recent purchase. It was my only guitar for 8 years so everything else feels weird, other Fenders less so because the bodies are similar weights and the necks similar shapes but as you said Les Pauls are very different.

I love the sound of LPs, all my favourite guitarists use(d) them someday I'll find one I like too. Ebony finishes are beautiful, one of my favourite with wine red (ducks).

I went for the gold top but do like the wine red finish too

In our house we have, my fender acoustic, wife's Washburn and baby Taylor and jnrs redwood half size. I bought the wife the baby t a couple of years ago and she loves the small size, that leaves the Washburn free. It is a 'better' guitar than my fender. I prefer my fender though as its mine! It was my first guitar and the one I always go to. If anyone wants to buy a Washburn send me a pm, lovely old and well built guitar available for cheeps!

I went for the gold top but do like the wine red finish too

Yes the gold tops are very nice too, what pickups does yours have? P90s or normal humbuckers? I asked before but I think you must have missed it due to my essay like post. If I remember right they originally made gold tops as a slightly cheaper version of the Les Paul and they had p90s in them. I've seen them newer like that too.

Is it possible for an old duffer like me (64) to learn myself cos I'm struggling or would I be better gettin some lessons although there's plenty of stuff on YouTube

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.