Gundogan as an attacking midfielder

How many times do we have to get beat with Gundogan in that position before Pep realises he is the problem?

You can change the formation as much as you like but when you've got Gundogan always in the team and passing up chances in front of goal, he will always be a huge weak link for us as an attacking player.

Our record with Gundogan playing there is absolutely abysmal and the only person who didn't see this result coming was Pep.

The sad thing is, we'll carry on playing every formation under the sun before Bernardo Silva or Foden get half the chances Gundogan has had in that position.

How many times do we have to get beat with Gundogan in that position before Pep realises he is the problem?

You can change the formation as much as you like but when you've got Gundogan always in the team and passing up chances in front of goal, he will always be a huge weak link for us as an attacking player.

Our record with Gundogan playing there is absolutely abysmal and the only person who didn't see this result coming was Pep.

The sad thing is, we'll carry on playing every formation under the sun before Bernardo Silva or Foden get half the chances Gundogan has had in that position.
He’s fucking shite.

1 good game in 10.

Shite. I could stand still in the middle, let the opposition play around me and pass the ball 5 yards continuously.

Considering I’m shite, and he’s a professional, adding the occasional goal and nicely dinked pass isn’t worth his fucking 4 year contract.

Gundogan is an absolute pass master. 2 to 3 yards sideways and backwards, he can't be beaten. He doesn't create anything but Pep loves his pass completion rate. He offers nothing defensively and his boots are lead lined. What a player. Look at our results. He plays, we lose. It's really not rocket science.

On top of that he's figured out the one thing he's supposedly good at & managed to bottle that now as well.

I've never seen a player so reluctant to shoot be in & around the opposition box as much as him. It's utter madness that he's given that role.

That's the bottom line.

Unless you've got a prime David Silva there, you can't get away with playing someone at this level and in that position who has such an aversion to shooting.

Every time, he gets the chance, it's one more little 5 yard pass or a dummy. I've never seen a single player completely ruin a team in the way that he does in that position.

How Pep doesn't see it when the stats are all there, I'll never know. Complete delusion.

Virtually every time we drop points, Gundogan is normally on the pitch and out of position playing behind the striker. Why does Pep play him there when he's so gifted as a number 6 and when, by playing him out of position, he's keeping one of KDB, David Silva, Bernardo, Foden and potentially Mahrez or Sane out of the team as well? City dropping points and Gundogan as an 8 seem to go hand in hand.

I've updated the statistics after the Wolves game.

Since he came back from his nine month injury in 2017, we have won 72 out of 79 games without him playing as an attacking midfielder at a win-rate of over 91%. When he comes into the team (as an AM), that win rate drops almost 30% to 63% turning one of the greatest teams of all time into a Europa League team. I don't even think the stats were that bad with Mangala in the team. Shocking that the management or presumably anyone in the club who looks at stats can't see how poor we become with Gundogan in the side as an attacking midfielder.

More stats: https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...l-news/gundogan-foden-stats-man-city-17046357
Obvious to watch him pass sideways or slow it down going forward. When he has the ball, it's as if the team are suddenly running in treacle. As an attacker he isn't quick enough, takes few shots, and gets few goals. Hes good enough to fill in when the game is won. For our level he has always looked average. Plenty better. THE THREAD TITLE IS A CONTRADICTION IN TERMS

Whilst I’m not a fan of Gundo and Rodri together due to their zero pace, had we took any of our 108 chances today and it wouldn’t be a problem. We controlled the play and created countless chances. Their goals had nothing to do with Gundo

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.