Guvnor General.

Wreckless Alec said:
I'll be buying it despite the fact that I'm now a "respectable" 51 year old with a decent job, a Masters degree and 2 grown up lads.

I loved those awaydays and the adrenalin rush of going to hostile away grounds and standing firm against a baying mob of home fans. In many ways it was a right of passage, a chance to prove you could stand when the temptation was to run. I think the media hysteria was exaggerated and it was rare that the casual bystander got caught up in the trouble.

That's not to say I would do it now, although I see that glint in my son's eye sometimes, but it was what it was, it was of its time and those who were there, by and large, enjoyed it.

That is exactly the way I remember it. Although I am only a mere 50 year old.

Noelsnapkin said:
Wreckless Alec said:
I'll be buying it despite the fact that I'm now a "respectable" 51 year old with a decent job, a Masters degree and 2 grown up lads.

I loved those awaydays and the adrenalin rush of going to hostile away grounds and standing firm against a baying mob of home fans. In many ways it was a right of passage, a chance to prove you could stand when the temptation was to run. I think the media hysteria was exaggerated and it was rare that the casual bystander got caught up in the trouble.

That's not to say I would do it now, although I see that glint in my son's eye sometimes, but it was what it was, it was of its time and those who were there, by and large, enjoyed it.

Jonny-come-lately !!

Wreckless Alec said:

^^^^^^^^^ This.
I feel sorry for the kids who are "up for it" nowadays I must admit. For me it was just the excitement of not having a clue what was gonna happen (although at Millwall, leeds etc you had a pretty good idea). Dont get me wrong I have some bad memories, vastly outnnumbered by the great memories though. Imagine how we would have taken the piss if we`d had the team we have nowadays?

books are okay as long as you do not take them too serious. normally go along the usual lines of battles v scousers,mancs and cockneys, and amazing how the cockneys took the fight to everyone and never ran. cass pennant once came to everton and stood his ground on scotty road against 300 scousers apparently!!! and they all seem to remember what clothes they wore on each individual occasion. anyone who went away in those days knew the score of being sussed and attacked, and with no cctv there were some naughty times, most of which have probably not been revealed in such books in fairness.

Wreckless Alec said:

Good lil post that Alec, lookin back on thangs them days is no different to lookin back on the rivalry of Schools, Estates or Area's etc it were simply part n' parcel of the said times.

bad news when you see yourself in a video but don't actually remember going there!

Balti said:
bad news when you see yourself in a video but don't actually remember going there!

I find this happens with age. We`re moving house this weekend and I`m finding shoeboxes full of Footy & Gig tickets - half of them I have no recollection of whatsoever. Scary!

I was in HMV last week and had a laugh to myself as Sully of hoolie lit fame was deep in thought while reading Bennys book. Class, the perfect book critic using his pointer figer on each word as he read it. Anyway good luck to em both, Benny and the young guvnors were really game. When we used to get `done` in town at every derby when we met there main firm, it was the young guvs. who helped turn the tide. I hope they make packet out of there books.

Chicken Kiev said:
These pathetic low life cowards shamed the game and the club. Why do people glorify these brainless idiots? I will not buy such shit the guy is a scum bag low life as are all the people like him.

Don't buy the book, spit in his face!

obviously you are either too young to remember the early 80s or you were too much of a coward to stand up and fight for your team allongside fellow blues when the occassion warrented it

Noelsnapkin said:
Wreckless Alec said:

Same here, great days.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.