Guvnors

blueinsa said:
A dissapointing read imo, not helped by a writing style, akin to it being written by a 13 tear old!

Page after page of.."we had a right good toe to toe, then we legged it" does nothing for me im afraid!

Books like this never deliver what they promise in my opinion

whats wrong with writing in a style befitting the subject? Wasn't it ACTUALLY written by a journo anyway Peter Walsh?

Donald was a neighhbour of mine and friend along with many lads from those days. We've all moved on mostly since those days. Those people calling Mickey a wanker need to look at themselves carefully because it's them that sound like gobby know nothing wankers to me.

The book has been out many years and is a good historical account.

mancityvstoke said:
blueinsa said:
A dissapointing read imo, not helped by a writing style, akin to it being written by a 13 tear old!

Page after page of.."we had a right good toe to toe, then we legged it" does nothing for me im afraid!

whats wrong with writing in a style befitting the subject? Wasn't it ACTUALLY written by a journo anyway Peter Gardner?

Donald was a neighhbour of mine and friend along with many lads from those days. We've all moved on mostly since those days. Those people calling Mickey a wanker need to look at themselves carefully because it's them that sound like gobby know nothing wankers to me.

Shows you weren't a primary source then......... well known the book is nothing but fiction, written on the back of Donald and his experiences. Donald is a top bloke, mad as a hatter but a true gent, mickey is a fraud..... and those who were around know exactly what went on. Remember Mikey Williams (god rest his soul) being rather annoyed with mr francis after its release.
And mickey doesn't post on here, but donald does (:

Well Donald was my neighbour in Openshaw.

I read Mickeys book and lots of what was written I remember witnessing myself. Whether it was from Donalds activities I don't know. You may know more than me there.

I never knew Mickey Francis as he is slightly younger than me . I used to go on Donalds coaches.

I remember Mikey Williams....selling tickets. A great guy.

mancityvstoke said:
blueinsa said:

whats wrong with writing in a style befitting the subject? Wasn't it ACTUALLY written by a journo anyway Peter Walsh?

Ahemmm!

Where did i call the guy a wanker?

blueinsa said:
mancityvstoke said:

Ahemmm!

That bit was aimed at "The Citizens from Perth Australia" (he says its "glorifying wankers" which he is entitled to say if that's his opinion) not you.....read the whole thread sorry the quote did look like it was aimed at you although I DID say "those people". I'm fkin shit at this forum stuff. Just getting the hang of it all still. It will probably take me years and I'll still be shit.

I have now been reliably informed that it was all fiction anyway. So not to worry eh?

jimmy grummble said:
I enjoyed the read, but at the end of the day these people helped ruin footy.

Think you'll find that was the Sheik.

Never read this, but has been on my list to read for a while now. I'm in to my football autobiographies at the moment. Robson's was really good but was let down by poor sales, Keegan's was broadly optimistic but in reality, didn't last long.

mancityvstoke said:
blueinsa said:
Ahemmm!

That bit was aimed at "The Citizens from Perth Australia" (he says its "glorifying wankers" which he is entitled to say if that's his opinion) not you.....read the whole thread sorry the quote did look like it was aimed at you although I DID say "those people". I'm fkin shit at this forum stuff. Just getting the hang of it all still. It will probably take me years and I'll still be shit.

I have now been reliably informed that it was all fiction anyway. So not to worry eh?

No worries mate.

No doubting that the stories these boys have, should be told and that there is an audience for them, myself included.

I just wish that they would be told more intelligently and as you have stated about Mickey, co written by someone who knows how to write!

mancityvstoke said:
Well Donald was my neighbour in Openshaw.

I read Mickeys book and lots of what was written I remember witnessing myself. Whether it was from Donalds activities I don't know. You may know more than me there.

I never knew Mickey Francis as he is slightly younger than me . I used to go on Donalds coaches.

I remember Mikey Williams....selling tickets. A great guy.

Mikey was one of my dear friends, miss him a great deal........ wasn't having a pop by the way, just the book although well written, enjoy peter walsh work, cocky being one of my favorite books, it distorts the enigma which is MF. And donald is a great bloke, would stand toe to toe with anyone, though he himself would tell you it is a great regret he lives with being involved in that scene.

the guvnors book was superb. one of the first of its kind and written in a no-nonsense manner which many can relate to,ffs,its not wuthering heights! i dont know if everything was spot on but i was a young lad then and can vouch for many of the stories in the book.if its not your thing then fine but its a BOOK for gods sake,climb down from that horse!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.