Hacks, Has-beens And Never-was's

I don't agree with the OP. Mancini has been his own worst enemy. It isn't that we failed in Europe, it's how we failed in Europe. Even with far superior players, we were outplayed by Naples and Ajax. It isn't that we finished second in the league this year, it's how the team played worse and worse. The reality is that Mancini was absolutely stubborn and insistent on signing Dzeko and Balotelli, even though the rest of the world saw Balotelli's character problems and Dzeko's misfit capabilities with our team. Mancini insisted on Savic who was totally out of his depth. Mancini hasn't made a single shrewd value move in the transfer market. Mancini can play the arrogant genius who doesn't need to engage the press, if he's getting the team to play at or above their best level, or buying players for a bargain. The reality is that we only achieved those heights at the beginning of last season before we started to feel the pressure, and then at the end of last season when the pressure was off.. until the QPR, when we reverted to the classic Mancini narrow formation with everyone playing down to the opponents level. City are easy targets, as is any institution that spends an obscene amount of money to try and reach a goal. Managing the press is a part of the manager's job. Mancini has done it very poorly. Never taking personal responsibility. Always pointing to needing to spend another obscene amount. Or to the failings of one of the players. I respectfully disagree with the OP. A better manager could have won over the press more effectively. Blaming the press is weak.

To be fair james1910, I thought Samuels was spot on in his assessment having just read it. Once again, to borrow from a very old Chinese insult, we are living in interesting times.

am not to sure about that bow!!!
i just get the feeling the guy is in for a kicking in the press!!!!!!!

Twas ever thus james!

@ Austin Blue - I'm not blaming the press for Mancini's demise, merely pointing out that he has never been given a fair crack of the whip. The same will happen with Pellegrini too. Mourinho might have been afforded some respect, but it would never have lasted. All of course, in my humble opinion.

thats more to the point
it dont matter who gets the city job the press are going to slagg him!!!!!
our little club who was allways good for abit off fun as got abit to big for its boots
so our wonderfull free press you have you belive!!!!!!
so fuck'em lets stick togather blues and this time next year we will be danceing in the streets just like last year!!!!

strongbowholic said:
Twas ever thus james!

@ Austin Blue - I'm not blaming the press for Mancini's demise, merely pointing out that he has never been given a fair crack of the whip. The same will happen with Pellegrini too. Mourinho might have been afforded some respect, but it would never have lasted. All of course, in my humble opinion.

I agree that the press was predisposed to make Mancini look bad.. but Mancini didn't do enough to help his own cause. You can be brooding and curt when your teams are cutting everyone to pieces. It's a bit hard when you've had the biggest transfer budget in the history of the game for multiple years and getting beat by teams with less than a tenth the same budget. And I don't see Mourinho getting a pass in the Spanish press. Not even by the Madrid press.

strongbowholic said:
From day one, the knives were out for Mancini. He replaced a rag legend, and at the time it happened, media darling and rising star in management. His poor English in his first interview saw him pounced upon - "my contract is 6 months and 3 years". It was a clear indication, according to them that City were not sure they had appointed the right man, that City were hedging their bets.

From then on in, Mancini was never given the respect afforded Wenger and Ferguson - he's just a cheque book manager. He was never praised for the attacking football played in a season that saw City with the best goals for and best goals against record in the league. No, the praise was reserved for Tottenham who were doing things the right way under 'Arry - a man who let his dog manage his finances.

Even winning the league in such dramatic fashion, which helped the Premier League achieve the most phenomenal contract upgrade, was not enough even to secure a Manager of the Season trophy; that honour went to Alan Pardew who guided Newcastle to the dizzying heights of 5th place, some 24 points behind the Champions.

Unfortunately, Mancini's Achilles' heel has been Europe. Our first foray saw us finish 3rd on 10 pts which would have seen us in the next round in any other group. Next season was an unmitigated disaster. Despite domestic success, this has shown (apparently) that Mancini is an inept a manager as John Sitten.

I'm not sure there has ever been a manager so unfairly treated by Fleet Street's finest. Martin Samuel has oft been the lone dissenting voice in fairness. The esteemed writer Henry Winter - who gave Mancini such a torrid time at his first press conference - has come around a bit, however that took a fair amount of wooing by the club. Does that mean Winter is nothing more than a prostitute who will write what you want so long as their is a slap-up grill in it for him? Who knows?

Then there is David Conn, the self styled moral crusader who craves the days of Meredith and jumpers for goalposts and laments the inevitable road football took towards becoming a real business. A huge City fan, Conn then showed himself as adept as Ronnie Irani by releasing a book about City full of inaccuracy and fulsome in its praise of FC United of Manchester.

Typical City? Probably.

The rest though have certainly lived up the the Spitting Image caricature of moral-less, nose in the trough, alcoholic freeloaders given some of the outlandish, absolute tripe written about City. It's galling we allow an agenda to be set by a profession that sees no wrong in hacking murder victims' mobile phone voicemails and puts topless pictures of 16 year old girls on its 3rd page.

Noble profession indeed.

It seems then Mancini is history and we move forward with Pellegrini. The whole appointment has once again been very badly managed - manna from heaven for reporters everywhere of course. So will we now see some righteous indignation the club has sacked its most successful manager in a generation? Will we now be portrayed as some demented Chelsea wannabe? Will Pellegrini be given the same welcome and coverage Mancini had? Time will of course tell.

All I know is once again, the press are finding any angle they can to denigrate the club I support. All I know is the club appear to be doing little to try and manage or control the pernicious cabal of reporters laughing their way to the bank as they scribe yet more unfounded tittle-tattle. From a PR perspective, City are either naive or hugely unprofessional.

I just hope that through all of this, the Engineer, as Pellegrini is nicknamed, lives up to his billing. After all, there are no guarantees in football and just because a manager comes from the most technically gifted league in the world at the moment, it does not mean it necessarily translates to success in the Premier League.

Ask Juande Ramos, he'll tell you.

Absolute top post Strongbow!
And I for one think City have been both naive and unprofessional the way this has been handled.
And just because we are changing the manager it doesn't mean that things will change because 'the media' need a God (Rags) to worship and a Devil (City) to loathe.
No coincidence that the minute Ballotelli departs our shores another 'Johnny Foreigner' in Suarez immediately becomes the new Devil.
Should Pellegrini lose his first 2 matches you just watch the hacks do their finest - whilst Gollum picks up a trophy in his very first game at Wembley against Wigan in the Charity Shield and the hero worship will begin....

strongbowholic said:
From day one, the knives were out for Mancini. He replaced a rag legend, and at the time it happened, media darling and rising star in management. His poor English in his first interview saw him pounced upon - "my contract is 6 months and 3 years". It was a clear indication, according to them that City were not sure they had appointed the right man, that City were hedging their bets.

From then on in, Mancini was never given the respect afforded Wenger and Ferguson - he's just a cheque book manager. He was never praised for the attacking football played in a season that saw City with the best goals for and best goals against record in the league. No, the praise was reserved for Tottenham who were doing things the right way under 'Arry - a man who let his dog manage his finances.

Even winning the league in such dramatic fashion, which helped the Premier League achieve the most phenomenal contract upgrade, was not enough even to secure a Manager of the Season trophy; that honour went to Alan Pardew who guided Newcastle to the dizzying heights of 5th place, some 24 points behind the Champions.

Unfortunately, Mancini's Achilles' heel has been Europe. Our first foray saw us finish 3rd on 10 pts which would have seen us in the next round in any other group. Next season was an unmitigated disaster. Despite domestic success, this has shown (apparently) that Mancini is an inept a manager as John Sitten.

I'm not sure there has ever been a manager so unfairly treated by Fleet Street's finest. Martin Samuel has oft been the lone dissenting voice in fairness. The esteemed writer Henry Winter - who gave Mancini such a torrid time at his first press conference - has come around a bit, however that took a fair amount of wooing by the club. Does that mean Winter is nothing more than a prostitute who will write what you want so long as their is a slap-up grill in it for him? Who knows?

Then there is David Conn, the self styled moral crusader who craves the days of Meredith and jumpers for goalposts and laments the inevitable road football took towards becoming a real business. A huge City fan, Conn then showed himself as adept as Ronnie Irani by releasing a book about City full of inaccuracy and fulsome in its praise of FC United of Manchester.

Typical City? Probably.

The rest though have certainly lived up the the Spitting Image caricature of moral-less, nose in the trough, alcoholic freeloaders given some of the outlandish, absolute tripe written about City. It's galling we allow an agenda to be set by a profession that sees no wrong in hacking murder victims' mobile phone voicemails and puts topless pictures of 16 year old girls on its 3rd page.

Noble profession indeed.

It seems then Mancini is history and we move forward with Pellegrini. The whole appointment has once again been very badly managed - manna from heaven for reporters everywhere of course. So will we now see some righteous indignation the club has sacked its most successful manager in a generation? Will we now be portrayed as some demented Chelsea wannabe? Will Pellegrini be given the same welcome and coverage Mancini had? Time will of course tell.

All I know is once again, the press are finding any angle they can to denigrate the club I support. All I know is the club appear to be doing little to try and manage or control the pernicious cabal of reporters laughing their way to the bank as they scribe yet more unfounded tittle-tattle. From a PR perspective, City are either naive or hugely unprofessional.

I just hope that through all of this, the Engineer, as Pellegrini is nicknamed, lives up to his billing. After all, there are no guarantees in football and just because a manager comes from the most technically gifted league in the world at the moment, it does not mean it necessarily translates to success in the Premier League.

Ask Juande Ramos, he'll tell you.

Great post here.............

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.