Handball rules to be redefined

MCFC1993

City changing football again.

Following the controversy over the Otamendi incident, the new wording on the rule will come into effect on March 2nd.

Full interview with the Times (behind a pay wall): https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/handball-rules-to-be-redefined-in-bid-to-end-confusion-tg3npvjmb

JOE have covered it as well: https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/handball-rules-to-be-examined-var-220707

Word's from David Elleray, the technical director of the International FA Board:

'The new text will clarify those situations where players can expect contact with the arms to be penalised and where they can expect not to be penalised. It will significantly reduce the grey areas around handball.'

They will be identifying the incidents where non-deliberate contact will be penalised and where it won't be.

So don't know whether they view Otamendi's 'handball' as correct or incorrect but I guess we'll find out based on the new definition. The wording on the law definitely needed to be rewritten though.

Following the controversy over the Otamendi incident, the new wording on the rule will come into effect on March 2nd.

I think not 'come into effect' but instead it's ratification of the proposal.

I don't think it will come into effect immediately mid-season here.

Full interview with the Times (behind a pay wall): https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/handball-rules-to-be-redefined-in-bid-to-end-confusion-tg3npvjmb

JOE have covered it as well: https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/handball-rules-to-be-examined-var-220707

Word's from David Elleray, the technical director of the International FA Board:

'The new text will clarify those situations where players can expect contact with the arms to be penalised and where they can expect not to be penalised. It will significantly reduce the grey areas around handball.'

They will be identifying the incidents where non-deliberate contact will be penalised and where it won't be.

So don't know whether they view Otamendi's 'handball' as correct or incorrect but I guess we'll find out based on the new definition. The wording on the law definitely needed to be rewritten though.
Surely it will still depend on what colour shirt the individual is wearing? ;-)

When I was a lad some 50+ year's ago handball was when it hits your hands, when did the definition to move it further and further up the arm come into force.
Let's redefine it - if it hits your hand it's handball no matter where your hand is, simple. If it hits your arm get on with it.
Refs making it interpretation is the problem, like how far the ball was traveling or was he looking at the ball nonsense, just simply if it hits the hand then it's handball

When I was a lad some 50+ year's ago handball was when it hits your hands, when did the definition to move it further and further up the arm come into force.
Let's redefine it - if it hits your hand it's handball no matter where your hand is, simple. If it hits your arm get on with it.
Refs making it interpretation is the problem, like how far the ball was traveling or was he looking at the ball nonsense, just simply if it hits the hand then it's handball

Complicating the rule to simplify it isn't going to work ;)

But players will deliberately target oppo's hands instead of the goals then, that's the problem.

But players will deliberately target oppo's hands instead of the goals then, that's the problem.
Yep, it'll be interesting to see the stats for shots from outside the area.

Also, if your arms are by your side or behind your back and it hits you above the elbow and is called as a handball, that's ridiculous.

I agree. I think the rule is very vague at the moment and decisions are coming down to interpretation which leads to inconsistency.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.