Handing Down Allegiance

My whole family are Rags, they taunted me for years based on their success, it was a tough few decades. Anyway the only one who wasn't was my Grandad (Dad hated football), he sneaked me to Maine Road one Saturday when I was around 6 I think. The rest is history, family get togethers are most fun these days. Grandad has now sadly left us so I am the only one left, and I really mean 'the only one' Rag central at the get togethers.

Appreciate the loyalty to City from your son, but thats the thing that prompted my post. The thing that I think stops that father having that connection (or giving that gift / or curse possibly if a Bolton fan) with their son. Maybe cheeky, but maybe should have asked first.

that bond of supporting the same club as your dad and grandad etc is special. Nowadays with my eldest lad is our only real father and son time we have. Its holds us together, having a pint, swearing at the ref, singing together, hugging when we score ( var is trying to stop that ! ), its special.
Living in deepest Kent we have alot of father and son time as an home match takes up most of the weekend and midweek games its two days. Lucky both our partners are happy for us to do it, in fact my new wife was all for us having the time together as father and sons.

My name was mud in my Sisters house for years. Her ex husband was a Liverpool fan and wanted their Daughter to follow them too. I bombarded my Neice with City kits, City teddy bears, City flags etc.
What really won her over though was babysitting her for the weekend and then taken her to the Etihad as a surprise.
She was a City fan for life, he hated it.
Now, if it was the other way around and he'd tried to turn any of my kids into a dipper, i'd have killed the cnut

I have a nephew, 4. His mum is my sister. Dad is a red, we’re blues. I try to teach him that it’s naughty to say United etc. My dad, his grandad, buys him city tops, takes him to the Etihad when we win trophies etc. He’s never been to a game.

I also have a son. There is not a cat in hells chance he would be persuaded to support anyone but City. I bought him his first full kit at the age of 2 months. I’d be fuming if anyone even tried to persuade him otherwise.

My brother is in a mixed marriage (her family are all reds). From day one I took it as my sworn duty to ensure my niece and nephew took the right path.
This not only took the form of bombarding them with kits, merch, tickets from when they were old enough to go. No, I basically told them on more than one occasion as toddlers that the other lot have the devil on their shirts and so that meant that anyone who supports them would go to hell and burn in a fire for all eternity, screaming in agony. Including their cousins, uncles, aunties etc.
Tough love. Sounds harsh but whatever gets the job done. And it worked as they’ve been absolutely City obsessed season ticket holders ever since.
Mind you, I cant say my sister in law was overly impressed when she overheard me one day setting it all on the line to a three year old girl

Do what the religious nuts over here in the States do - home school your kids and don't let them have any contact with non-Blues until you've properly brainwashed them.

I have this dilemma right now, my lad is 12 took him too his first city game 7 years ago, Wigan at home cup match 5-0 we won.
We’ve been regular since then And we always had a great time. Me and his mum split 4 years ago, she’s with a united fan nowadays and my lad rocks up in a United top on my last weekend with him. I had to laugh because it sums his mum up but then I spoke to him about it and he said he supported United now as his mum does because of ‘Dave’. My only son turned by his carol baskin mother and Dave exotic :-)

I have this dilemma right now, my lad is 12 took him too his first city game 7 years ago, Wigan at home cup match 5-0 we won.
We’ve been regular since then And we always had a great time. Me and his mum split 4 years ago, she’s with a united fan nowadays and my lad rocks up in a United top on my last weekend with him. I had to laugh because it sums his mum up but then I spoke to him about it and he said he supported United now as his mum does because of ‘Dave’. My only son turned by his carol baskin mother and Dave exotic :-)
Disown him like Daft Donald

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.