Handing Down Allegiance

You only pass it on if you have association. My sons are fourth generation and should be fine on age. Grandad stood on Hyde Road

My son is forth generation blue. My daughter moved to Wales and married a dipper loving Welsh man, whos son is also Liverpool. However their daughter is blue haha lovin it

Always considered it a 'rite of passage' that the kids, especially sons, follow the fathers team, fuck me, even my rag ex wife agreed if we had had children, they should be Blues.
Admittedly, I was a bit taken aback when my son bought his nephew a City kit, when his Dad is a born and bred Bolton fan, if someone had done that to us when he was young they'd have been given a few flying lessons.

My dad was a keen sportsman, played football, cricket, tennis, badminton. Never played Rugby but loved League and in later life watched Rugby Union, him and four of his retired mates went all over watching Lancashire clubs and county games. Got to know the likes of Beaumont, Slemen etc very well. Cut a long story short he was too busy playing to support a football team and for him he'd rather watch a good game, a typical neutral. He'd favour local clubs over southern teams and would want England to beat whoever they were playing. He didn't push me one way or another, but the first football strip i had was Bolton Wanderers. A great strip and it doubled as an England strip as well. I followed Franny Lee and his move to City and became a City fan. My daughter is keen on sport, but it's rugby union for her, Cardiff and Exeter Chiefs, and England . She wears an England top in Cardiff at internationals so she's doing well in my opinion, loves it. My son was the one i tried to influence the most. Took him to quite a few games over the years and he's had a number of shirts bought for him. I thought all was lost through his teenage years, he didn't really follow football . But when he was 19 he bought himself a set of boots and started playing a bit at Uni, and he bought himself the black and blue away strip of a few years ago and we've been to a few games again. He requested the City vs Gillingham shirt for Christmas ! as he said it was always his favourite, and he likes the fact that not many of his mates support City - They're mainly United or Everton or Blackburn. I guess from my point of view my son worked out ok , but it was nice that he kinda got there under his own steam. Last year, he became a dad for the first time and before i could get involved he'd been bought a City strip, so i guess my job has been done. My grandson is half Brazilian, so i will be seeing he gets a Sao Paulo shirt sometime in the future. World Cups have dramatically improved as i always follow Brazil after England. It will be interesting if they play each other but i will let Arthur chose. I suppose it may be a case of who gets in first tends to have the most influence. For peace and harmony i would say the child should go with the parents choice if they are keen on a club themselves and it would be wrong for in laws to try to influence if it was a different team. Later on i dare say when the child is older it may jump ship and it would be free to do so , but if it was me i wouldn't be happy. My nephew lives in Essex, when he was a kid my sister bought him a West Ham Shirt . My sister knows fuck all about football and her husband even less. As it turned out, the shirt was actually a Burnley shirt ! He isn't big on football but but if you asked him who he supports, it would be Burnley and he loves how it happened

I appreciate how cheeky I am even being on the forum as a "Dipper", well I am being even more cheeky now by starting a thread!

So.....you have a son/daughter and are an avid football fan, In this case, we shall say a Liverpool supporter of many years. You look forward to the day of sharing your love for your club with your child. However, your father/mother in law supports, we shall say City and buys then their first full kit and tickets to a City game. Their first "proper" football match. Kids being kids take that first experience and kit and then decide they are then a City fan.

There will no doubt be an obvious answer to this considering where I am but I would welcome the view if you speak as a parent yourself. Irrespective of the teams involved is it wrong of the "in law" to get in the way of you handing down your allegiance?
My eldest lad supports Liverpool, it’s my biggest failure as a father, Robbie Fowler’s to blame too ... I tried desperately to make him a Blue but it wasn’t to be... My other 4 kids are as Blue as me... Don’t tell any of the ****s on here though mate, it’s just between me n thee...!

I appreciate how cheeky I am even being on the forum as a "Dipper", well I am being even more cheeky now by starting a thread!

So.....you have a son/daughter and are an avid football fan, In this case, we shall say a Liverpool supporter of many years. You look forward to the day of sharing your love for your club with your child. However, your father/mother in law supports, we shall say City and buys then their first full kit and tickets to a City game. Their first "proper" football match. Kids being kids take that first experience and kit and then decide they are then a City fan.

There will no doubt be an obvious answer to this considering where I am but I would welcome the view if you speak as a parent yourself. Irrespective of the teams involved is it wrong of the "in law" to get in the way of you handing down your allegiance?
Good post, great thread

My eldest lad supports Liverpool, it’s my biggest failure as a father, Robbie Fowler’s to blame too ... I tried desperately to make him a Blue but it wasn’t to be... My other 4 kids are as Blue as me... Don’t tell any of the ****s on here though mate, it’s just between me n thee...!
Oh fuck, I thought I’d sent this as a pm .....

When my lad was born yer couldn't have given away a City season ticket unless yer paid a king's ransom for the idiot to take it off yer hands. However, he did want a blue shirt - royal blue, and the only shop in Rochdale happened to have two - Rangers and, yer've guessed it, 1878 Nil Satis Nisi Optimum. Well, I wasn't gonna buy a Rangers kit, not even to piss off Magicpole, so it was EFC, and like we CIty fans he's seen both ends of footballing life - trip to Wembers with Mrs Ewing when they tipped over Stretford, and the near death experience but saved on the final day with a masterclass from Hans Seegers in the Wimbers goal. It was probably written in the stars that he would support EFC long before I'd even clapped eyes on Mrs Ewing - Goodison was the first ground I visited when I was in primary school!

However, his son, my grandson, is the proud wearer, at six months old, of next season's City kit! My other grandson (they were both born in Islington!) also has a City kit but I've not seen him wearing it yet. His Dad's an erstwhile Rag so there may be issues!!

Funny thing is that my lad is more pissed off when City lose to 'certain' teams than I am!!

Admittedly, I was a bit taken aback when my son bought his nephew a City kit, when his Dad is a born and bred Bolton fan, if someone had done that to us when he was young they'd have been given a few flying lessons.

Appreciate the loyalty to City from your son, but thats the thing that prompted my post. The thing that I think stops that father having that connection (or giving that gift / or curse possibly if a Bolton fan) with their son. Maybe cheeky, but maybe should have asked first.

Appreciate the loyalty to City from your son, but thats the thing that prompted my post. The thing that I think stops that father having that connection (or giving that gift / or curse possibly if a Bolton fan) with their son. Maybe cheeky, but maybe should have asked first.

Totally with you there, and pointed it out to my lad, who said his Dad wasn't bothered, when I asked him (the Dad) eventually, it didn't seem a huge issue, but he did have a look that said "what am I supposed to say/do" lol.

Tbh I'll happily take him to see Bolton if that's what he ever wants to do.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.