Happy 70th birthday Colin Bell

A very Happy 70th birthday to the great man, I was lucky enough to see the best of him in a City shirt and he is such an under-rated player in footballing history, but then with his reserved, almost shy manner I guess he may prefer it that way. Thanks for some unforgettable memories.

It was and an incredibly emotional game, 0-0 at half time and then the King appeared down the tunnel for the second half. The noise was incredible and the emotion you could almost touch it. We went on to win 4-0 but sadly the King was never the same again.

The best player I have ever seen wearing our shirt, the happiest of birthdays to you King Colin

I remember the talk on the way down to Maine Road from the adults about whether today would be the day we would see him back. I remember the whisper - Bell's coming on - swept steadily along the Kippax during half time. Maybe as a kid with a very restricted view, what was being whispered above my head in hushed terms probably added to the sense of wonder. I remember people on tip-toes craning their necks, bobbing side to side to see if he was one of the players emerging from the tunnel. Then suddenly he was there, coming out in that beautiful blue shirt. I can see, hear feel that moment as clearly as if were yesterday. Pure joy, hope, excitement, relief.
Then, well it wasn't OK and it would never be alright. But never mind that, or the goals, the appearances, England caps or anything else. What an achievement to be so deeply interwoven into the lives and experiences of so many people. What a contribution to our club.
Tonight I'll drink a drink to THE KING.
Cheers

3705977_orig.jpg

Number 8

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.