Happy Clapper thread

They’ve been parking the bus against us since 2012, we’ve not done too bad. Likewise Pep, whose spent his entire management career playing against defensive teams.

I honestly think the worst thing about this season is how quickly it’s come off the back of the Lyon game. The fans, rightly so, are angry with Pep about that and there’s not been enough time passed for our form to be this average.

There’s a bigger picture though, look at Spurs. 3 pre season games and 3 weeks more rest/preparation than us with very few injuries and two strikers playing brilliantly. Yet they’ve lost to Everton, drew with Newcastle and lost a 3 goal lead to West Ham. Take out the result last week and there’s been very little between us and them yet they’re heralded having had much easier fixtures until now. We’ll be with a couple of points of them by Boxing Day.
The main difference between us and them is the 8pt gap and I don't want it to get any bigger jay, lol.

This season is not dissimilar to several others over the last 8 or 9 years. We make a boatload of chances but don't score enough. How many times did we used to come away from the ground thinking that, soon, someone's going to get a good hiding? This season is a bit more like what seasons used to be before our freakishly great ones.
Keep the faith brothers; we can't score 100 plus every season. Still plenty of time left to turn the corner.

Missing chances is definitely a problem. But we’ve got the personnel and management to address it, I believe. I remember a couple of years ago, maybe the beginning of the centurions season, and we had the same problem. Me and my dad kept saying “We are going to put ten past someone soon” and suddenly everything clicked and we were getting 4,5,6 every week. It feels like that to me-that we just need to tweak things. It’s much better to be making chances and missing them than not making them at all.
I definitely agree with your last point, but I think we’ve got too many solidly poor finishers.

We lack pure ruthless natural quality in front of goal. Some have good goal scoring stats, but when you actually see some of their misses and how many chances they have and we have as a team in general, and how long it’s gone on for, we’ve been waiting for this to click for too long which makes me think it’s a personnel problem.

In previous years we’ve created and missed the chances but they were often good efforts and near misses, and it really was a case of “we’ll hit someone for 10 soon”. Now I think it’s terrible finishing and it’s not clicked yet because our finishers aren’t good enough. I don’t feel like we’re going to hit anyone for 3, never mind 10.

[Cue a 6-0er today!]

Last edited by a moderator:
I definitely agree with your last point, but I think we’ve got too many solidly poor finishers.

We lack pure ruthless natural quality in front of goal. Some have good goal scoring stats, but when you actually see some of their misses and how many chances they have and we have as a team in general, and how long it’s gone on for, we’ve been waiting for this to click for too long which makes me think it’s a personnel problem.

In previous years we’ve created and missed the chances but they were often good efforts and near misses, and it really was a case of “we’ll hit someone for 10 soon”. Now I think it’s terrible finishing and it’s not clicked yet because our finishers aren’t good enough. I don’t feel like we’re going to hit anyone for 3, never mind 10.

[Cue a 6-0er today!]
I’m saying nothing, mate ;-)

It's a dull dreary day. For us happy clappers ,we can go to page37 of the pre match thread yesterday. It's hilarious reading. Rants by dullards, fucking offs of pep, ffs by the dozen, Foden leaving and more. Cheered me up no end.

Our main issue is not so much scoring goals, but scoring them against the big clubs. So far this season, we have won 1, drawn 1 and lost 1 against the so-called big 6 (and not even clear if Arsenal even qualifies any more for this). We will need to be getting 4 or ideally 6 pts in the remaining games against Scum and Chelsea in first half of season. The derby is crucial - we know exactly what their gameplan will be, even playing at home. Can Pep adjust and prevent that?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.