Happy Takeover Day! (7 years ago today)

I think that even Marco only posted the news hours before it officially broke so it was kept well under wraps.

Just over 2 months before I'd been involved in discussions involving some high-powered and well-connected people in the game about potentially rescuing the club from administration. Yet none of my extensive network of contacts knew or, if they did know, they were keeping schtum.

Given that Thaksin and his representative Amanda staveley lived in Dubai at the time I´m sure the real negotiations was going on in UAE somewhere.
Marco posted about it early the same day.. and everyone was going crazy saying that we´ll sign Thierry Henry :D

Lovely thread http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/threads/somethings-going-on.83909/

Given that Thaksin and his representative Amanda staveley lived in Dubai at the time I´m sure the real negotiations was going on in UAE somewhere.
Marco posted about it early the same day.. and everyone was going crazy saying that we´ll sign Thierry Henry :D

Lovely thread http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/threads/somethings-going-on.83909/

don't forget our Amanda - now of Park Lane for the summer season
article-2317258-06538A5F000005DC-453_233x423.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_Staveley

don't forget our Amanda - now of Park Lane for the summer season
article-2317258-06538A5F000005DC-453_233x423.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_Staveley

She did turn up representing Sheikh Mansour at the Barclay bank bailout..

Staveley_228x348.jpg

“Amanda acts as a confidante to some very wealthy individuals and funds in the Middle East. She finds opportunities for them, which fit what they are trying to do. She has a very good track record and she realises what her place is; she doesn’t tell her clients what they should want, instead she distils their wishes for them. She does what most investment bankers are bad at — she listens.”

My Brother sent me a text and said that there was a takeover bid and I didn't believe him
Strange isn't it. You'd never think there was anyone in football who would be wealthier than Ambramovic

One of the reporters on Sky when trying to explain how much HRH was worth said "imagine you're on a beach and you build a sandcastle. You stand back, admire it and think to yourself "that's all mine, I own that" Well that's Abramovic, the guy from Abu Dhabi owns the beach"

I worked nights at the time And I went to bed that morning hearing talksport gleefully prophesising that we would have to sell our record signing (Jo) a mere few days after signing him as the club were in such financial turmoil, and stating that there were doubts over wether Mark Hughes would still be manager by the end of the day due to "broken promises" only to wake up at tea time to hear we were the richest club in the world and were in for Robinho and Berbatov..

The most surreal day to be a city fan. Still makes me goosebumpy even now.

Time flies by when you're enjoying yourself.... Too quickly :(

wow 7yrs now.

I was lying in bed with morning glory, waiting for my then girlfriend (who's now married with a Rag) to go to Manc. Uni so I put on SlySportsNews to try and go soft... and this announcement came up.... :D

Best wank I've ever had.

Joking aside I honestly didn't know who they were, never even heard of the country (although I had been to Dubai before on a flight exchange to Thailand) never knew much about Abu Dhabi.

I brushed it aside like they were just some "other" owners, with big promises, and no end product.

How wrong was I?

My Brother sent me a text and said that there was a takeover bid and I didn't believe him
Strange isn't it. You'd never think there was anyone in football who would be wealthier than Ambramovic

One of the reporters on Sky when trying to explain how much HRH was worth said "imagine you're on a beach and you build a sandcastle. You stand back, admire it and think to yourself "that's all mine, I own that" Well that's Abramovic, the guy from Abu Dhabi owns the beach"

Hahahaha thats a great quote

Remember setting off for work happy on the knowledge we'd resigned swp and won against sunderland. n the car turned on the radio in the car and found out the world had gone mad. Nearly crashed the car as I constantly switched between talksport and gmr. Didn't do any work all day sat refreshing Internet. Went to bed in the early hours still laughing like a mad man.

Lol... that sums it up perfectly.

I know I've said it on here before but the news WAS whispered about beforehand, by quite a few weeks. I can't quite remember the details but I do remember seeing that "ARabian News" article (I think it was late at night on the 31st August) and thinking "So the rumour IS true". Got into work the next morning and all the office blues were buzzing with it, not much work getting done. Then by mid morning everyone knew we were the wealthiest club in the world.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.