Harry Kane

I think Kane is trying his best to become a glory hunter.
I don't think we should touch him.
Yes he scores lots of goals,(lots of above average strikers would in our side) but he has to be centre of attention for both his club and country.
We don't need that ego at our club, and the huge transfer fee Spurs would command for him could be wisely spent on someone else, preferably someone younger and less injury prone, providing us with a better value for money transfer.

I can see why some fans would love him at City and why others wouldn't.
Im one of those that wouldn't

It's pretty clear that the club's main criteria, by far, for considering player purchases is what they bring on the pitch. Marketability just isn't anywhere near the top priority but obviously it would be taken into consideration with all other aspects.

Success breeds success. Look down the road; they've been signing incredibly marketable players for years. Public perception seems to be a much greater factor when it comes to their acquisitions and it's prevented them from successfully building a winning mentality in both the short and long term. I guess they've been nailing sponsorship deals still.

Forgive me if I'm also missing your main point but I think this idea of marketability being such a big influence on our transfer policy just doesn't hold up.

I think you may have seen from the my posts after the one you replied to that I am making precisely the opposite point. I agree with you that the club is looking at what they bring on the pitch. And making smart deals in that regard.

I don’t think we would have done what PSG did with Neymar, by paying what they did to Barcelona, for instance. But we would have (it’s a fact) paid for Mbappe what his price was had he chosen us. Every single scout saw that he was a generational talent and a marketable superstar. It would have been a smart investment.

Stars like those two, the ones that drastically change our place in the world, don’t come around often. We were willing to offer Messi an insane deal for him last summer because he too would have had an impact. As I have said in another thread, I am willing to bet that we won’t miss out on Haaland for being outspent. We may miss out on him in case he chooses another team, but the opportunity to sign him, not just for the immense talent, but the commercial opportunity, is not one we will let it pass. It doesn’t mean we won’t try to make the best possible deal, obviously.

With Kane, I just don’t see the evidence that the club would be willing to pay that much for a player that brings nothing off the pitch. I don’t rule out being wrong, but I have to see it happen to believe it. I don’t think any club would spend that much just for the sporting gains.

We already have what is already seen as the best team in the world, but there is a “next step” commercially that can still be taken. We can win all the titles this year, but that’s not the limit. We have the potential to be the most talked about club, the most sold shirt, etc in the world. Haaland is the kind of star (like Mbappe or Messi) that would make the kind of difference in that regard. Any of those three come in and they immediately become the biggest star in the Premier League, but not only that, they also change the profile of the Premier League, our merchandising goes through the roof as do our deals. Those stars aren’t made every two years. Which is why you make an exception to our model for them. Like PSG did — that was the point of my example. You look at what PSG does besides Neymar and Mbappe and it’s not very different from us. Those two took them to the next level. We were willing to make Mbappe in 2017 be “the one”. Then Messi last summer was an unexpected possibility that opened up. You can listen to Sam Lee’s podcasts around that time. He talks about how Messi has been a project of City for years, and how we saw him as a way to expand the brand of the group. Now you have Haaland who can take us there. Maybe you think we don’t care about having the same global presence of PSG or surpass that of our domestic rivals. I would say that is a naive view

Goals are literally the hardest thing to buy. Yet City paid 62.6 million pounds in ONE GO for Rodri. I'm comfortable in saying they'll pay twice that for Kane.
The fee paid for Rodri isn’t that extraordinary. It was for us but it’s not for the football world. I don’t take it as evidence of anything.

I think you may have seen from the my posts after the one you replied to that I am making precisely the opposite point.

Fair enough, I'll put it down to a lack of sleep on my part.

Personally, my gripe with Kane is purely his age and my questions about long term fitness. The second is by far my biggest concern and if that wasn't a problem then I'd welcome the signing. The guy's a superb player.

That being said, I'm fully in the Haaland camp.

For me it isn’t resale value, it’s whether we would need to spend similar again in 4 years. I think Haaland and Kane would both cost between £100-£120 mill. With Haaland you would hope to get 10 years maybe 12 from that, or if he left get our money back to replace him. With Kane even if we got 5 years we would need to be spending well over£100 mill maybe nearer 200 in 5 years to get a similar level player.
I f we can’t get Haaland, or though more unlikely Mbappe and the club decide on Kane, I have no problem at all with that,great. Just my opinion I have doubts the club would do it, if they do though I all good with that too.
Completely agree with that. Posters talking about resale value are missing the point though.

I completely agree with the sentiment . Our aim is to make money from players through their footballing ability and hence our sporting achievements as we have with Kompany Silva Aguero etc. However I think we have to acknowledge with Haaland his agent does tend to have his clients move fairly frequently to maximise their profitability and that his resale may be of importance to us.
Kane hasn’t got the same agent though so whilst I get your point, I don’t think that resale value comes into the Haaland vs Kane discussion.

I also think that Raiola isn’t as bad for that as he’s made out to be. He has a lot of players who have stayed put at their clubs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.