Harry Maguire

Discussion in 'Transfer forum' started by Super Joey Hart, 21 May 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BLUEMATT23

BLUEMATT23

Perplexing statement from Pep.
    We have the best and rich owners on the planet and to say we can't afford Maguire is untrue and bizzare unless he's implying something about FFP.
    We've been lucky that their signings that could have come to us have not worked but this luck won't last forever. Maguire does strengthen them somewhat.
    Surely some day we need to spend 100m

The Riot Club likes this.
  2. karen7

karen7

Our owner doesn't put his hand in his pocket now and hasn't for years so it doesn't really matter how rich he is,we will never pay 100m for anyone except maybe the worlds best player,the rags haven't been relevant to us for 6yrs,in which time they have spent on many players and it's made no difference at all,i also expect it was a tad sarcastic by pep

3. 1statetihad

1statetihad

Team supported:
    Manchester City
    If United win the league is the whole country going to say, they bought the league. I very much doubt it. Please get rid of the miguire thread. Good player but not at that price.

4. BlueCityfan

BlueCityfan

It's probably just not worded well. I'm sure we could afford Maguire at 80m. Just like we could have afforded Felix at 100m+.

We probably didn't want to spend 80m on a CB. And especially not for someone as unremarkable as Maguire.

JimmyNJ and Colin Bells Boots like this.
  5. xaphor

xaphor

Pep is not going to come out and publicly shame Maguire by stating he's not worth the money the rags are paying. He is naturally going to be gracious and say we were unable to meet the price required.

6. OccupiedPalestineBlues

OccupiedPalestineBlues

Team supported:
    Manchester City FC
    He didn’t say that we couldn’t fund the purchase. He said that we couldn’t afford it and my take was that it was in reference to us not being able to afford the reputation damage that arises from paying ridiculously over the odds.
    We manage our purchases very well nowadays but can only do this because other clubs know that we won’t be rinsed - we set our valuation and walk if they push it - it’s a reputation that we need to maintain.
    I’m pretty sure that we could have paid £80M for Maguire without breaching FFP but cash layout is only part of the wider value for money consideration.

7. cleavers

cleavers

It's not just the transfer fee, United will have offered him a certain wage, that we don't want to match if it damages our wage structure.

I'm unconcerned about what Pep said, fee or wage, he's not worth what they'll pay, not to us anyway.

8. kun

kun

Has this actually happened yet?

9. catalyst

catalyst

It's a language barrier thing.
    Just like he responded to the ins and outs question in press conference. He just meant 1 or 2, but said a few.

Same case here, he clearly means we cannot afford to spend as much on one player who clearly is overvalued.

10. catalyst

catalyst

There will definitely come a day where we spend over 100m but it won't be on some bum like Maguire.

steviemc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.