Harry Maguire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who though? He would have to be homegrown... Aké? Dunk? Tarkowski? I'm not sure there's anybody who would be worth the extortionate amount they would cost at this time in the window.
Cancelo in and Sané staying would do me nicely.
We have 3 top centre-backs, plus Fernandinho and Walker who can cover there and 2 excellent young players who need experience in García and Harwood-Bellis. We can reassess in January if we still need a CB.
I get your reservations, but in the heat of a 4 competition battle, we need to use our youngsters wisely. Now is not the time to throw them in at the deep end.

As for which CB? Maguire was favourite because he was a decent player & more importantly English. After yesterday's performance, I'd say Otamendi should stay.

There's a dearth of top class English alternatives, but I'm sure our player acquisition team have identified alternatives. In terms of age & potential the two who stand out are Ake & Tarkowski.

Otamendi will have a couple of good seasons left in him, so there will be enough time to judge where our young CB alternatives are in their development once it's time to move him on.

Perplexing statement from Pep.
We have the best and rich owners on the planet and to say we can't afford Maguire is untrue and bizzare unless he's implying something about FFP.
We've been lucky that their signings that could have come to us have not worked but this luck won't last forever. Maguire does strengthen them somewhat.
Surely some day we need to spend 100m

City's owner maybe rich, but City have been operating on a self-financing basis for some time.

Perplexing statement from Pep.
We have the best and rich owners on the planet and to say we can't afford Maguire is untrue and bizzare unless he's implying something about FFP.
We've been lucky that their signings that could have come to us have not worked but this luck won't last forever. Maguire does strengthen them somewhat.
Surely some day we need to spend 100m

Its not if you see how we have done our business over the last 4 seasons where have been self sufficient even the rags will have to sell lukaku to pay that much for Maguire and that be that for them no more signings.

When Pep says we 'can't afford it' he means we can't afford to spunk 80 mil on players who are worth much less, like Utd do every season.

If Mbappe was available for 80 mil, we would afford it.

Correct - it is basically flagging up the price and the fact we do dont pay out whatever figure is quoted by a selling club - especially not a bang average player. I the next 2/3 years we will have to replace Aguero. A like for like will cost us well over £100m maybe even £150m. I fully expect us to pay the money, if required, when the time comes.

Correct - it is basically flagging up the price and the fact we do dont pay out whatever figure is quoted by a selling club - especially not a bang average player. I the next 2/3 years we will have to replace Aguero. A like for like will cost us well over £100m maybe even £150m. I fully expect us to pay the money, if required, when the time comes.

I'm sure we will pay for a proven, exceptional player.

But imo, we will most likely try to bring in young players who hopefully become that good & only pay the huge fees if we have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.