Has anyone on here played professionally?

I played for Stockport County once at about 12 against Notts Countyt...that count? They never bloody picked me again I can reassure all.

Runs in my family a bit and I had a grandad and a couple of uncles who were pros in the 30-40s and 50-70s respectively. By all accounts, the old man could’ve made it, but he got a bad injury. At my generation it pretty much stopped dead. Had a cousin who did some non-league and a second cousin who was a pretty decent keeper in the system at a, then premier league, side. He got cut though, as he fell short of their minimum height requirement by an inch.

@billybluehat doesn't post much now, but used to play for Chadderton. He scored a free kick against FC United back in the day and ripped off his shirt to reveal a City shirt underneath (after about 45 seconds on the video below). Good lad.

I know Billy well, the centre half for Chaddy at that time I work with he played for City and was released by City by Kevin Keegan.

Had one season at Coventry when I was 17 before being released.
However, I did ref at semi pro level - Vanarama. Probably biggest crowd was an FA Vase game Whitley Bay V Coalville about 2 years before these 2 met in the final. Crowd was about 5k as neither Newcastle or Sunderland playing that weekend. I can honestly say that after about 5 minutes you really do not hear the crowd.

Are you telling us, r, that they 'weren't really there'?

Think a lot of capable players took that route. More than ever now lifestyle is a big factor in making it, that's not a criticism. Trials at Ipswich and Weds you must have been decent.
That's exactly it it's all about lifestyle now being dedicated, Years ago you'd turn up on a Sunday morning possibly still drunk playing a game at 11am after coming home at 3am from a night club, Don't think it's the way anymore the football club beside me all the lads dont really drink but definitely not a night before a game.
Ipswich scouts were constantly in Ireland 15-20 years ago theyd be there at twice a month. Sheffield Wednesday asked me and the other midfielder I played alongside to go on trials after our football club been invited over to a summer tournament in Sheffield which is how we got spotted there. They gave the club free tickets to Sheffield Wednesday v Leeds that weekend which was a nice touch.
Unfortunately never made it after that lost confidence and boozed that was it.
As you said lifestyle is such a huge factor now.

A rag I used to work with played in a trial game for City. Was the only one of the 22 starters that played full 90 mins. Never heard from City again!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.