Has anyone on here played professionally?

Next doors lad has just been released from Burnley's academy after being there since being a kid. There is a possibility that he could play for Curzon Ashton. He is a good lad and I feel sorry for him.

In my early teens I was captain of Gatley Rangers for a couple of seasons, a sunday league youth team. Both Peter Barnes and his brother Keith were on the team. They were both bloody good and I thought if anything, Keith had the more natural flair, but he lacked Peter's application. When the City scouts came, Peter was selected. The rest is history. I think Keith might have gone on to play for Latics but not 100% sure of that.

Next doors lad has just been released from Burnley's academy after being there since being a kid. There is a possibility that he could play for Curzon Ashton. He is a good lad and I feel sorry for him.

It’s a perilous career. A huge number of men want to be professional footballers. I’d love to have played.

We entered a summer football 5 a side tournament organised by Darlington FC. I was about 33 at the time and through reffing knew a few decent up & coming players. Our starting line up was
GK Ben Roberts - playing for Boro at the time and is now keeper coach at Brighton
Paul Jarps - 2 seasons at Coventry - now under 18 coach at Sunderland
Stuart Brightwell - no relation but had been at the rags for 2 years as a kid. Ended up in the MLS
Mark Tinkler - who was at Southend at the time. When he was at York he got me tickets for that game
Adam Reed - think he was at Blackburn at the time - now a physio for Boro

Now we went on to beat Darlington in the final who then went on to complain to the organiser that we were fielding "proper pros". Can you imagine a set of pro's rocking up for a local summer tournament these days.

I don't want to go off topic but I wish all pro footballers and managers would have to ref a few games. I've done it twice and I have so much respect for them. It's bloody hard!

How many academy kids go on to make a career at the top levels of the game (PL/Championship)? 1 in 100? 1 in 200?

Look at the City squad and there’s only Foden broke through. They’ve spent a fortune on the campus and I’m cynical as to how they find the next Aguero.

A lad from my first work was offered a contract at Walsall as an 18 year old but turned it down because he liked drinking, smoking and chasing the girls too much. What a wanker.
met a few like that over the years,all the talent in the world but could really take it or leave it & never took it that seriously,each to their own i suppose...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.