Has anyone put their central heating on yet?

I dont have a smart meter, still putting in readings and checking my bills
Could probably read each day for a week and then then the next and get a rough comparison

Does your energy supplier not show you your usage? Most now have apps wheee you can see usage each day and can experiment one week to the next.
I’m finding at moment that there’s not much different depending on usage (which is limited at moment) which probably makes sense given extortionate standing charges.
Dilemma for winter is whether it’s any more or less expensive to keep it ticking over at say 20’c than it is to keep it ticking over at say 17’c. Of course more energy to bring it up initially but is it then the same to keep it ticking over and therefore not worth being cold keeping it lower
Physics says more, as it’s down to the specific heat capacity of the air. Assuming air pressure is roughly constant (which it is) and the moisture content of the air doesn’t vary dramatically. It will always cost more to maintain a room at a constant 20 degrees rather than a constant 17 degrees.
One of the biggest issues is people have their boilers set to max which results in your home heating up very quickly, then exceeding the target temperature as the water in the radiators is very hot and then when it cools the cycle repeats, burning excessive gas in the process.
Set your boiler temp to around 57deg rather than max, like most people have it and it’s stops the cycle of overheating and uses less gas. Yes it takes longer to get warm but once it’s up to temperature it runs much more efficiently.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.