Has the BBC become a Tory tool?

Not really followed this story and dont watch motd because its normally shit, although I imagine no commentry/punditry would be an improvement.

My understanding is that lineker has been sacked for thinking he can say what he likes on whatever social media.

Just stick to football gary, thats your job,and you are overpaid for it. Keep your political? rants/views confined to the pub with your mates, not social media as free speech is no longer a thing with everyone being offended by everything these days.

If the other pundits dont want to work because of the situation then sack them too,and while youre at it bbc, sack the whole bbc red sports section and employ people with simple and fair values to reporting.

Everything about football is becoming more and more like a circus these days, fcking rubbish.

It’s not so different from the policy Australia had in recent years. Hardly the precursor the next holocaust. Anyway, I’m not particularly interested in the policy which will probably end up getting thrown out by legal challenges anyway.

My point is simply that it is antisemitic to minimise the holocaust. Lineker has done that here, in a minor way, but he has done it none the less. This isn’t a unique standard I’ve invented for Lineker. I’ve highlighted the recent example of Andrew Bridgen. Look back to past years and you’ll find plenty of other times minimising the holocaust is considered antisemitic.

At the end of the day, Lineker has done that here in a crass unthinking way. It more ignorance than malice and I don’t think he needs to be sacked over it, but a word and perhaps some education would be helpful.
Great post, C, but would the people involved in this be open to 'some education'? Lineker sent his son to a fee-paying school and expected that the fees would deliver the top results regardless of how intelligent the student was. I think they would be the last to accept that they need educating.

I've just read a book about the holocaust in Lithuania, where locals were as much a party to the murders as the Nazis, and more so in some towns. But get them to accept their murderous part in it? Little chance.

I disagree. I think it is an appropriate comparison, at the right point in time. It isn't the first either, and shouldn't be the last. And he should have every right to make it.

By the same logic, you are now 'minimising holocoust' by exaggerating his comment to that extent.
Ok, care to produce some of the quotes in context of the startling similarities in language? Or is it the case that they don’t particularly exist, or if they do they’re very much something and nothing? A kind of Hitler drank water so water is evil type argument.

I'm not going to get into the ins and outs of boats, the conservatives, or the BBC because I skew to the left of most people here and I'm not sure there's much to discuss really.

But I will say that Match of the Day isn't really for hardcore football fans who go to the games and post on football forums. It's for a much, much more casual viewer. It's a magazine format, punditry is required to talk people through basic interpretations of the law rather than intensive tactical analysis. I tend not to watch because by the time the evening comes around I've watched half of the games, usually attended one of them, and have already read and watched highlights on others. Most people aren't like me or us.
You’re absolutely right but that raises another point; there isn’t currently a show that *does* provide intensive tactical analysis.

For the most part BBC, BT and Sky aim all their coverage at the casual viewer. Maybe for the BBC that’s spot-on anyway, but I’d wager on the other two networks half of the viewership is a bit more football inclined.

I like MoTD and for the same reasons as you stated want to see it come back how it was, once the dispute is resolved. But does this also identify a gap in the market for another, more analysis-intense and knowledgeable program?

Further evidence it's a Tory tool to cater for deviants.

Blue Peter will be going for a record number of cream pies in a minute on Red Nose day....

Great post, C, but would the people involved in this be open to 'some education'? Lineker sent his son to a fee-paying school and expected that the fees would deliver the top results regardless of how intelligent the student was. I think they would be the last to accept that they need educating.

I've just read a book about the holocaust in Lithuania, where locals were as much a party to the murders as the Nazis, and more so in some towns. But get them to accept their murderous part in it? Little chance.
Maybe not, but the BBC could’ve provided him with some material, perhaps from the IHRA or some such body that set out the issue. I suspect Lineker is clued up enough to get it. I suppose the issue from the BBC side is that Lineker has already had one warning and now he has courted controversy again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.