Has the BBC become a Tory tool?

A reminder of the Holocaust is not minimising it. It's reminding people what people and Governments are capable of is left unchecked.

And I don't see how mentioning the Holocaust and keeping a spotlight on it, serves to minimise it. Would you rather the Holocaust wasn't mentioned at all?
The holocaust should be remembered. It should be remembered in the proper context with respect for the victims. Comparing it to trivial contemporary events is not a fitting form of memorial, it is simply offensive because it serves to minimise the tragedy of it.

I understand your comment about the premise of his argument but referring to Nazi Germany is offensive and way out of order. He should look at some of the documentaries on concentration camps. Also, where was his great concern for human rights when he happily took all the Qatari money at the World Cup.
Referring to Nazi Germany in a statement about a parallel with the lead-up to Nazi Germany is offensive?

Where can you talk about Nazi Germany? Where can you not? We have to learn from history or we are destined to repeat it. People might find it uncomfortable, but we have to speak about these things and we have to watch out for the parallels… which sometimes involves making comparisons.

Obviously those being discussed in that way might feel offended, but it doesn’t make it less true and it doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be said or that people don’t have a right to say it.

Penning letters to the state broadcaster to shut down public dissent isn’t the best way of stopping comparisons with Nazi Germany

I liked it, but I'm sure things will be back to normal within a week or so, with the BBC having egg on it's face.

I don't think GL deserves his sky high salary though, Anyone could do his job for less. He's a decent presenter to be fair.

I like Shearer though, he has been there and done it, (Highest premier league scorer) and he is on a fraction of Gary's wage.

There is a clear implication because we have only one history. That is the history in which the 1930s Nazi regime lead to WW2 and the holocaust. Minimising the evils of that regime, even in the 1930s, by comparing it to something trivial is to deny the terrible reality of history.
Warnings from that history should then always be pointed out then. However early in that path or however unlikely that path will lead to the same outcome.
Not pointing out would be an unnecessary risk. Do you think the language was appropriate ? If no do you think it should then go unchecked ?

I think Sky would say that Monday Night Football is their tactical coverage, and is ok sometimes, but I agree. I get all that stuff from podcasts and YouTube and The Athletic. I think there is a space for it on TV, but broadcasters, as you say, think differently.
Tifo and The Athletic are great for that sort of thing

The holocaust should be remembered. It should be remembered in the proper context with respect for the victims. Comparing it to trivial contemporary events is not a fitting form of memorial, it is simply offensive because it serves to minimise the tragedy of it.

It minimises the tragedy of it "in your eyes". To mine, it highlights the tragedy of it and serves to remind us of what we need to avoid.

Lineker's comparison wasn't to the Holocaust but to what led to it. You obviously know what went on but there are a hell of a lot of people out there who don't realise or know how things led to it. Shining a light on it should hopefully educate some.

I was thinking the same.

I’m finding his invoking of the holocaust as a means of criticising Lineker quite contemptible and I can’t be arsed discussing it with him any more as he seems to be a bit of an idiot.
It was Lineker that brought up the Nazis, and by clear implication the crime they are most associated with, first - blame him. I agree it was a quite contemptible thing for him to do.

There is a clear implication because we have only one history. That is the history in which the 1930s Nazi regime lead to WW2 and the holocaust. Minimising the evils of that regime, even in the 1930s, by comparing it to something trivial is to deny the terrible reality of history.
You think the erosion of our civil liberties is ‘something trivial’?

with all the fall out to the tweet do the bbc back down and reinstate him or will they die on their sword

You think the erosion of our civil liberties is ‘something trivial’?
Civil liberties as in those freedoms that apply to citizens? Covis romanas sum as Kennedy invoked in his famous Berlin speech? I’m very keen on those and don’t consider them a trivial issue. However, I can’t detect any erosion of those in the actions of the Home Secretary. Care to enlighten me?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.