Have many of our “fans” become entitled?

I started a thread once titled 'City fans posting about City fans moaning about City fans moaning'

The general gist was that there are all sorts of people supporting City who have different dispositions to the same scenario. We have the laid back types, the pessimists, the optimists, the angry, the pompous, the old school, the lighthearted, the miserable and the fearful, to name drop just a tiny %.

My message was to not stress when people get stressed. Football is an emotive sport and open to many angles of opinion and conjecture, even from supporters of the same team.

Let people behave how they feel they need to, in victory and defeat; and ignore if it riles you.

If somebodies attitude or opinion is, in your opinion, entitled that is only your opinion.

I don't see that happening on here. I see fans expressing their viewpoint on the games as they see it. And a lot of it is warranted. Just because we have won pots doesn't mean we cannot comment or criticise.

The best moment to be objective and critical is when we are on an 'up', because if we let things slide we'll wake up one day and be Arsenal!!!

And nobody wants that!!!

P.s. my thread got pulled by the mods, btw. Not sure why. But I don't fancy your thread making it past tea time either!!! ;)
You bastard.
You`ve deliberately missed us off your list, us FOC`s !!
Ageist twat. ;)

It was always on the cards that some of us would begin to act like the entitled Rags we've come to hate. I alluded to this yesterday, only to be told I was being miserable (or words to that effect).

I wasn't being anything of the sort. I was merely trying to point out that we haven't yet won the CL, seemingly contrary to the belief of some on BM. Chelsea have beaten us the last two times we've played them. Quite why some of us believe all we have to do is turn up to be victorious, is beyond me.

We don't deserve to win the CL, we have to earn this victory, & thought processes like this can become infectious. Where we've come from is indelibly imprinted on my mind. Whilst I wholly appreciate who & what we currently are, we do seem to be slowly losing that widespread humble nature we were known for.

I defended our ESL involvement, as I believe we need to act in MCFC's best interests, because many PL clubs have proved they'll happily stiff us to curry favour with the Red Mafia. Personally I wouldn't say understanding why we tersely agreed to join the ESL was us feeling entitled, I'd say that was more of "If you can't beat em, join em". Whatever, we did the right thing in the end.

Let's hope posts like this remind us not to become like those we despise. That would be the biggest tragedy of our recent & hard won good fortune.

I come back from a long, difficult absence toward the end of another amazing season in which the club has again achieved things beyond my wildest dreams as a young lad and what do I find?

Far too many posts on here and elsewhere calling players “shitebags”, complaining about players’ commitment, criticising Pep’s management, and just generally moaning about the club.

After one loss in a dead rubber with one of the single worst (read: bent) refereeing performances I have seen in three decades of supporting City, a few weeks before our first ever Champions League final!

And on Twitter I see many abusing our players (some racially, especially when it comes to Sterling) after less-than-stellar performances or runs of form.

How have so many of our “fans” become so ****ing entitled, bordering on ragish. Or abhorrent, full stop. I know it’s not everyone — there are plenty admonishing and rebuking these impish idiots (at best). But there are still too many of these “fans” for my comfort. They are not what our club is about. They aren’t representative of our values. Perhaps United’s or Liverpool’s, bit not City’s.

Am I seeing more than are actually there? Am I falling in to just another trap of football tribalism, except creating more “us v them” amongst our own?

That could be the case and I am happy to be convinced I am.

But as of late, it seems like there has been a surge of the worst sort of “fan” in our ranks and I worry that the various aspects of the pandemic (isolation, shift to online engagement, return to the hooligan culture for many disaffected in order to find community/purpose/lost power, etc.) has them quickly taking over. At least the most visible, vocal realm of our support, anyway.

What do you think? Am I exaggerating the issue? Is it really that bad? Or is it just a prominent minority of “fans” that will eventually be drowned out as things get back to whatever “normal” is once the virus is under relative control?

I won’t be able to respond to all posts, or quickly to any, but I do appreciate everyone’s thoughts as I have been ruminating on this for some time, especially in light of the recent ESL debacle.

I think the general reaction of supporters — especially those in Manchester — really showed who we are and what we want the club to represent, but I also saw plenty of questionable stances among those claiming to be City fans. And I wonder what would have been the response of the club if the seemingly “entitled” contingent, who mostly appeared to love the idea of the ESL, had more time to rise in the ranks. And whether that means a similar situation in the future, if things progress as they are in my view, may result in a very different outcome.

Perhaps this is all down to my loss of sympathy for those that don’t know how good they have it. Maybe I’ve become even more of a miserable **** than I was before.

Regardless, although I can only mostly read threads these days, @Ric, it’s probably best to remove my mod privileges as seeing these daft, entitled, ragish posts throughout, it’s only a matter of time before I muster the energy to wildly swing the hammer. And, at any rate, I can’t really properly moderate any more, and have shed most of my diplomatic skills, so best I go back to being limited to addlebrained contributions like this.

Up the Blues!
Gave you a like, but do not despair, most on here remember the dark days and are aware that they can return.

It was always on the cards that some of us would begin to act like the entitled Rags we've come to hate. I alluded to this yesterday, only to be told I was being miserable (or words to that effect).

I wasn't being anything of the sort. I was merely trying to point out that we haven't yet won the CL, seemingly contrary to the belief of some on BM. Chelsea have beaten us the last two times we've played them. Quite why some of us believe all we have to do is turn up to be victorious, is beyond me.

We don't deserve to win the CL, we have to earn this victory, & thought processes like this can become infectious. Where we've come from is indelibly imprinted on my mind. Whilst I wholly appreciate who & what we currently are, we do seem to be slowly losing that widespread humble nature we were known for.

I defended our ESL involvement, as I believe we need to act in MCFC's best interests, because many PL clubs have proved they'll happily stiff us to curry favour with the Red Mafia. Personally I wouldn't say understanding why we tersely agreed to join the ESL was us feeling entitled, I'd say that was more of "If you can't beat em, join em". Whatever, we did the right thing in the end.

Let's hope posts like this remind us not to become like those we despise. That would be the biggest tragedy of our recent & hard won good fortune.
I never really understand where this point of view comes from. Total confidence / arrogance / entitlement call it what you will is a natural state of mind to a 20 yr old blue who can barely remember a time when we weren’t successful. Middle aged blues have the memories of the bad old days to keep us miserable / negative / sensible call it what you will.

I’m sure he means well but I think the OP’s post is divisive. An over confident blue isn’t necessarily an entitled JCL **** and nor is a cautious blue a miserable bitter old twat. In the end we all want the same thing even though we’re all different.

I've come to the conclusion that the matchday threads are just full of rags, dippers, and the mentally ill I'm afraid. More than one occasion when I've nearly hit the report button in there on 'obvious' rag/dip wummery only to recognise the username of a usually sane blue.
I looked at that thread once. Never again.

Now wait a minute, not sending an email is rotter behaviour. (cf. Derek and Clive).

Actually, I distinctly remember that it was in the post match thread after West Brom at home that someone called Pep a ****. I was deeply shocked. I just thought, these fans do not deserve the club that they've got. That thread absolutely was the pits. The one the week before, against United, had been bad enough. I thought it couldn't go lower. I took a sabbatical from here.
I admit, it only lasted about two or three weeks. I like the community of this place in general, and it's been a help through the Covid period in which I, for one, have been totally isolated.
There's quite a few things going on, though, that we simply don't know about. I've realised that not a few get really, really tanked alcohol-wise while they're posting. Never good for some people's temper. There's also the possibility of lurkers who are more or less ill intentioned towards City, and see an opportunity to stir shit. It's a sad way of getting your fun, but hey. Then there are just people with anger management problems. It's possible that they post things that they wouldn't think of shouting out at the Etihad. On the other hand, it might be a carry over on the keyboard from what they do in real life.
As someone who looks in on other clubs's forums from time to time I do think this place goes over the top sometimes in being personally insulting to players and coach when things don't go our way. I'll criticise a performance. More rarely, I'll criticise a player, as a player and only as a player, when I think it's merited. Everybody on here's got to be able to do that. I don't know them as human beings, I never will, and I'll never criticise them as human beings, damningly and for all time.
But since this thread seems to have been indirectly stimulated by what happened last night, I'll just say this: I emphatically don't think City are ‘entitled’ to win against Brighton, Cheltenham or any other team that can field 11 players who earn their living professionally, by playing football. What I do think City are entitled to is reasonably fair refereeing, and not being clogged all over the park in a game that means nothing to either side. Incidentally, all other sides are entitled to the same. Yes, even United. Yes, even Liverpool.
Excellent post.

I don't feel more "entitled" but I do expect more.
I'm getting used to our highly trained squad achieving unbelievable feats , I expect this to continue for some time.
Our professionalism has been staggering and light years ahead of our competitors both on and off the field.
When the focus is on the 90 mins on the pitch I am now conditioned to see WWWW ......
this last month has been quite a new experience and has taken time to get used to. It's clear we have had a plan and all that matters is the coming final. Games like last night are irrelevant and if it suits Pep to play the u12s then so be it.
I'm not a happy clapper ,Walker can be brain dead at times , Raz well what can I say and that twat at right back soon to be at Barca can fuck off now!.
It's difficult to get used to the dizzy heights of serial winners when you were brought up on the scoreboard end watching Cliff Sear et al.
Entitled ? No.
Oi, Ciff Sear was ok. So were Roy Cheetham and Barry Conlon. :-)
P.s. dont forget Alan Ogley.

Last edited:
I’ve never liked to generalise all our fans, because at the end of the day we’re all people and we’re all different

Even when we played at Maine road, there were some right nobheads in the kippax. Players got shit, managers got shit, fans got shit. A lot of the time for no reason. BBC MCR phone ins filled with moaning shite. The only reason why they weren’t seen as “entitled” was because we weren’t successful then. Success has a funny way of making that criticism look smug and raggy now, when it’s been going on for years

On the bright side, most city fans are absolutely chuffed, and the moaners are a *very* small proportion of our fanbase. But you might still spot them in their natural habitat, the match day thread

Now wait a minute, not sending an email is rotter behaviour. (cf. Derek and Clive).

Actually, I distinctly remember that it was in the post match thread after West Brom at home that someone called Pep a ****. I was deeply shocked. I just thought, these fans do not deserve the club that they've got. That thread absolutely was the pits. The one the week before, against United, had been bad enough. I thought it couldn't go lower. I took a sabbatical from here.
I admit, it only lasted about two or three weeks. I like the community of this place in general, and it's been a help through the Covid period in which I, for one, have been totally isolated.
There's quite a few things going on, though, that we simply don't know about. I've realised that not a few get really, really tanked alcohol-wise while they're posting. Never good for some people's temper. There's also the possibility of lurkers who are more or less ill intentioned towards City, and see an opportunity to stir shit. It's a sad way of getting your fun, but hey. Then there are just people with anger management problems. It's possible that they post things that they wouldn't think of shouting out at the Etihad. On the other hand, it might be a carry over on the keyboard from what they do in real life.
As someone who looks in on other clubs's forums from time to time I do think this place goes over the top sometimes in being personally insulting to players and coach when things don't go our way. I'll criticise a performance. More rarely, I'll criticise a player, as a player and only as a player, when I think it's merited. Everybody on here's got to be able to do that. I don't know them as human beings, I never will, and I'll never criticise them as human beings, damningly and for all time.
But since this thread seems to have been indirectly stimulated by what happened last night, I'll just say this: I emphatically don't think City are ‘entitled’ to win against Brighton, Cheltenham or any other team that can field 11 players who earn their living professionally, by playing football. What I do think City are entitled to is reasonably fair refereeing, and not being clogged all over the park in a game that means nothing to either side. Incidentally, all other sides are entitled to the same. Yes, even United. Yes, even Liverpool.
I was totally with you until you blew it right at the death... :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.