Headed to Scotland

Embarrassed to say I've never been near 99% of the places named on this thread and haven't heard of quite a good few of them. Off to aviemore at the end of the month for a sex pond break, looking forward to seeing that neck of the world.

Pitlochry/killiecrankie is a lovely area near Loch Tay.

I'm from Ayr myself Ayrshire Blue!

We stayed in Skye last year and stopped on the way to take in the views at Glencoe - incredible

We went on a small fishing boat to the Cuillin Mountains in Skye - no place on Earth like it.
One of the best things about going to Skye is the journey .
I know it’s boring between Manchester and Carlisle but once on the A74 the views pick up a bit until you get into Glasgow . Once through there and up to Loch Lomond , you’ve got literally 4 or 5 hours of jaw dropping views . Glencoe is amazing and the road is built for numerous passing opportunities if you’re stuck behind a crawler . Then onto and past Ben Nevis right up to Kyle of Loch Alsh .
Pining for going back now

Loch Ness last year. Captivating place, especially from the waterside pub at Dores.

smacap-Bright.jpg

Seems the Mrs was a bit further on with planning.

We’re spending just shy of a week at Loch Ken in Galloway, a few days camping at Loch Lomond and then a few days with friends in Fife (with hopefully some golf in St Andrews thrown in).

Really looking forward to it now.

Reddish lad who came to Ayrshire 25+ years ago via Leeds and Surrey - have travelled around Scotland a lot - on the mainland only Applecross of the places mentioned is still on my must visit list, a few islands still to explore.

Most Autumns we make a couple of visits to Dumfries and Galloway one to Portpatrick (a pretty village centred around the harbour) and alternate years a late Autumn visit to stay in a lighthouse keepers cottage at the Mull of Galloway (on a clear day can see Snowdonia, the Lake District Mountains, Southern Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Mountains of Mourne).
Kirkudbright (Kir ku brie) is an artist's town with a decent art gallery, Wigtown is a mini Hay-0n-Wye book town, there a nice gardens at Port Logan, Castle Kennedy and Threave plus the Wetland and Wildfowl Trust at Caerlaverock (with its triangular castle). Gatehouse of Fleet is not bad and you could visit Cream of Galloway which I helped when they were diversifying and persuaded them to go into ice-cream manufacture - they now have a visitor centre. Dumfries has some interest particularly Burns related, personally not attracted by Stranraer. Galloway Forest is a "dark sky area"

Depending on which way you choose to travel to Loch Lomond and whether you will have time to stop on the way there are options.
If you were to travel up the A76 there is Ellisland Farm (Robert Burns interest), Wanlockhead (turn off just South of Sanquhar - Scotlands highest village, Lowther Hills Ski Lopdge nearby!) The Multiverse at Crawick just north of Sanquhar (weird in a nice sort of way) and Dumfries House (just to the West of Cumnock).

The easier, but twistier, drive is probably right up the A713 through St John's Town of Dalry to Ayr and then up the A77/M77. Not very much to stop for on this route but attractive scenery. Loch Doon might be a pleasant distraction, it now has an observatory which I've yet to visit. Into Ayr, if you've any interest in Robert Burns then a detour to Alloway brings you to Burns Cottage, Burns Birthplace Museum and the "haunted" Auld Kirk Alloway and Brig o' Doon from "Tam O Shanter".

I've no idea how many of these will be open or what conditions there may be to visiting and they are only my own thoughts - it depends on what sort of a holiday you want. Hope it helps and have a great time when you come whatever you choose to do.

Reddish lad who came to Ayrshire 25+ years ago via Leeds and Surrey - have travelled around Scotland a lot - on the mainland only Applecross of the places mentioned is still on my must visit list, a few islands still to explore.

Most Autumns we make a couple of visits to Dumfries and Galloway one to Portpatrick (a pretty village centred around the harbour) and alternate years a late Autumn visit to stay in a lighthouse keepers cottage at the Mull of Galloway (on a clear day can see Snowdonia, the Lake District Mountains, Southern Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Mountains of Mourne).
Kirkudbright (Kir ku brie) is an artist's town with a decent art gallery, Wigtown is a mini Hay-0n-Wye book town, there a nice gardens at Port Logan, Castle Kennedy and Threave plus the Wetland and Wildfowl Trust at Caerlaverock (with its triangular castle). Gatehouse of Fleet is not bad and you could visit Cream of Galloway which I helped when they were diversifying and persuaded them to go into ice-cream manufacture - they now have a visitor centre. Dumfries has some interest particularly Burns related, personally not attracted by Stranraer. Galloway Forest is a "dark sky area"

Depending on which way you choose to travel to Loch Lomond and whether you will have time to stop on the way there are options.
If you were to travel up the A76 there is Ellisland Farm (Robert Burns interest), Wanlockhead (turn off just South of Sanquhar - Scotlands highest village, Lowther Hills Ski Lopdge nearby!) The Multiverse at Crawick just north of Sanquhar (weird in a nice sort of way) and Dumfries House (just to the West of Cumnock).

The easier, but twistier, drive is probably right up the A713 through St John's Town of Dalry to Ayr and then up the A77/M77. Not very much to stop for on this route but attractive scenery. Loch Doon might be a pleasant distraction, it now has an observatory which I've yet to visit. Into Ayr, if you've any interest in Robert Burns then a detour to Alloway brings you to Burns Cottage, Burns Birthplace Museum and the "haunted" Auld Kirk Alloway and Brig o' Doon from "Tam O Shanter".

I've no idea how many of these will be open or what conditions there may be to visiting and they are only my own thoughts - it depends on what sort of a holiday you want. Hope it helps and have a great time when you come whatever you choose to do.
That’s awesome.

Thanks a lot

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.