Headed to Scotland

drive in-between Arisaig and Mallaig is outrageous, it's up there. The drive to and stay at Applecross is wonderful. Go to Sulvein. If you're going right up top, Sandwood Bay is great

Seems the Mrs was a bit further on with planning.

We’re spending just shy of a week at Loch Ken in Galloway, a few days camping at Loch Lomond and then a few days with friends in Fife (with hopefully some golf in St Andrews thrown in).

Really looking forward to it now.

Seems the Mrs was a bit further on with planning.

We’re spending just shy of a week at Loch Ken in Galloway, a few days camping at Loch Lomond and then a few days with friends in Fife (with hopefully some golf in St Andrews thrown in).

Really looking forward to it now.
Probably because she looked at proper web sites and guides and stuff, instead of relying on some blokes on a football forum :)

That is pretty much the exact route we did last August. The weather was awful though so we didnt do Sandwood bay as it was a long walk and we didn't fancy it. We drove to the top Balach Na Ba on the way to Applecross and you couldnt see 10 yards it was that bad. Would love to do it again in good weather and appreciate the beaches a bit more. Achmelvich beach was one that we loved, like being on a tropical beach i bet on a good day.
That's a shame, the view from the top of that pass is the best view I've ever seen, you could see about 100 miles, though we stayed several nights in Applecross so went over the pass several times.

Sandwood Bay is well worth the effort, the day we went it was raining as we set off, but by the time we got there it was nearly solid blue sky, but there are so many great beaches along that coast and you are invariable there pretty much on your own.

That's a shame, the view from the top of that pass is the best view I've ever seen, you could see about 100 miles, though we stayed several nights in Applecross so went over the pass several times.

Sandwood Bay is well worth the effort, the day we went it was raining as we set off, but by the time we got there it was nearly solid blue sky, but there are so many great beaches along that coast and you are invariable there pretty much on your own.
That was one thing i hadn't expected, the sheer remoteness of it all and actually lack of people. I envisaged it a bit like the lakes but on a grander scale, but at times we drove for 20/30 miles without seeing another car, house or village. We had a picnic on the stone beach in front of that pub as you come down into Applecross and the views across the bay were stunning. We didnt really stick around there much as we were driving up to Ullapool and it was getting late. Think we spent 12 hours driving that day (day 1 of our tour) and it was an unbelievable drive.

Embarrassed to say I've never been near 99% of the places named on this thread and haven't heard of quite a good few of them. Off to aviemore at the end of the month for a sex pond break, looking forward to seeing that neck of the world.

Pitlochry/killiecrankie is a lovely area near Loch Tay.

Embarrassed to say I've never been near 99% of the places named on this thread and haven't heard of quite a good few of them. Off to aviemore at the end of the month for a sex pond break, looking forward to seeing that neck of the world.

Skiing break?

Or is that a thing in Scotland I didn't know about?

Pitlochry is lovely but rammed with tourists, certainly on the High Street.

Dunkeld just further down is also worth a visit.

I take my family each year up to Scotland - not this year though :(

You can keep New Zealand when you have Scotland right on the doorstep.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.