Helen the bell ringer

Maintainin said:
Helen the bells grandson said:
Kenny Helen had 2 Bells the one Joe has is the big bell and the one doing the ringing is the smaller bell she used after she became ill and could not lift the big one. I as a member of her family did not know she had given the other to Joe she never told me but i was always under the impression she wanted it in the museum
Have you ever thought about bringin it back to the match as a regular feature ? ...to hear it again each week would make for a great tribute in her memory, it's part of our fabric, we don't need friggin drums, get the Bell back at match !

Welcome to the board btw.

Yes, please do, would be great if it were rung at every home game. Forgot myself at the Villa game, heard the bell and I was back at Maine Road again in 1981! It sounds as though it belongs at the Etihad now.

It always got a cheer at Maine Road when Helen rang the big bell five or six minutes into the match amid the quiet that usually descended after the post kick off noise had died down (to be fair, there was a lot to be quiet about in those days.) Even other teams' fans came to expect it and rather like it, I think. So keeping this going at every home match would be a real link to that tradition and a reminder of the soul in this grand old football club.

Ali Benarbia said:
It always got a cheer at Maine Road when Helen rang the big bell five or six minutes into the match amid the quiet that usually descended after the post kick off noise had died down (to be fair, there was a lot to be quiet about in those days.) Even other teams' fans came to expect it and rather like it, I think. So keeping this going at every home match would be a real link to that tradition and a reminder of the soul in this grand old football club.

oh yea oh yea oh yea ;-)

Helen the bells grandson said:
Kenny Helen had 2 Bells the one Joe has is the big bell and the one doing the ringing is the smaller bell she used after she became ill and could not lift the big one. I as a member of her family did not know she had given the other to Joe she never told me but i was always under the impression she wanted it in the museum

I interviewed your gran in 2002 at her flat for my book on Maine Rd and she brought out her bells. If memory serves me right she talked of an earlier bell that had become damaged in some way and I think she said she'd given it away. I can't remember who she said he'd given it to but that may be the one Joe had? She did still have a large and small bell with her (and you kindly loaned one and other material for a display when I was at the museum which was later brought out for special occasions).

Hope this helps, but I guess it just adds more confusion. My impression was that there'd been at least 3 bells over the years. Whatever the true number it's just great that Helen is remembered with so much affection by so many of us. She was a passionate Blue who was never afraid to fight City's corner when needed.

Gary James said:
Whatever the true number it's just great that Helen is remembered with so much affection by so many of us. She was a passionate Blue who was never afraid to fight City's corner when needed.

Hear, hear! I suppose most of us never actually saw the bell at the games and only heard it, so this is the important thing. Looking forward to (hearing) it in future seasons.

Helen has a place in our history and the ringing of her bell should be a regular sound once again.

Helen was once my saviour as a 12 year old boy my dad could only get one ticket for the 1981 FA cup final v Spurs and took me to Maine Road and put me a coach. My instructions were simple " the coach will take you directly to the stadium, stick with the City fans and I will be here waiting for you at Maine Road" my dad had got the ticket through the FA from the amateur team he played for.

Our coach arrived at the grand old stadium amid scenes of chaos as thousands of Spurs fans were setting upon anything in Sky Blue ( our coach was one of the first to arrive ). I was dressed in the new City sky blue Umbro track suit , sky blue and white Wembley cap, flag, the lot .

I sought refuge sat at the top of a grass banking and watched as the two sets of fans traded blows.

The gates opened and I followed the large letters to each entrance to find that my ticket was in the Spurs end ( standing ). I wasn't going in and gazed up at the hundreds of Spurs fans decked in white butchers coats .

I went back to my grass banking and sat wondering what to do.

A large group of City fans marched past and among them was Helen who approached me and asked if I had lost my dad ? I told her my situation and she walked me round to the City end and got my ticket swapped with a Spurs fan.

I will never forget her for that and it is a memory that I will hold forever, she saved my bacon that day and I saw both the Tommy Hutch goals from behind the goal.

Years later as a man I approached her as she sat in her wheelchair outside the North stand and thanked her for that day. She was very old and frail but smiled and remembered the story.

Helen is a part of our folklore and the fabric of our great club !

kinkyafro66 said:
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCIXDuas7xg[/video]

Helen is on this!!
There are moments in this clip that sum up what's wonderful about our club: Demichelis running like a mad thing with the trophy, the happy togetherness of the players tossing Pellegrini in the air, the humor of the supporters with the "Ooops" banner, and Helen's family ringing the bell. Lovely stuff.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.