Helen the bell ringer

I never met her but I remember it in the latter days at Maine Rd when I was a kid, I used to find it annoying at the time but now I find I miss it. Perhaps one of Helens relatives should take up the role!

helen01.jpg

helen02.jpg

I recall that she had 2 bells, this is confirmed in the pictures in this and the last page. The one above must have been the first one and the one in the museum the 2nd. Anyway I remember at one game Helen was ringing her bell and it cracked. Undaunted she carried on and you could hear the thing clacking away with a terrible dull noise.

It didn't take her long to get the 2nd bell, though the 1st one had a deeper, more resonant sound.

Anyone remember the game this happened?

Also remember a few opposition players in pre-match interviews saying, we've got Manchester City on Saturday, I don't like going there 'cos there's that woman with the bell.

i used to always ring her bell before games outside the northstand near that programme stall ting :)

and she told me off when i was in the platt lane n we score and i ran to the front hahaha

rip x

My Dad always used to call her Nelly Bell...Was that his own -ism or was this a nick name she had??

Anyone else call her by this or did my dad make this up.

To be fair he had other names for City celebs over the years...Keith Curle went many years by the name "twat" in our house.
(I think he must have nicked my Dads pencil case at school or something he hated him!)

biffa said:
I remember on one occasion the Kippax singing "Helen, Helen ring yer bell, Helen ring yer bell" there was no response. The chant went up again "Helen..." but still no response. The Kippax soon realised she wasn't there (she was actually ill and was missing a game for the first time in years) the Kippax starting singing...
"Part time supporter"
A bit harsh, but still makes me smile.
I remember as well as big Joe Corrigan going up to her before every match, some of the opposition goalies did too. Bruce Grobelar being one - he was a star with her.

Nice one Biffa. I remember that and its had me sat here giggling for a good few minutes. Part-time supporter!!!!! LOL

Anyway great thread and wow wouldn't it be great to hear the bell going again. I always thought of it as a sound of encouragement rather than a victory thing so it would be great to hear it at Wembley for the final if we get there.

Balti said:
biffa said:
I remember on one occasion the Kippax singing "Helen, Helen ring yer bell, Helen ring yer bell" there was no response. The chant went up again "Helen..." but still no response. The Kippax soon realised she wasn't there (she was actually ill and was missing a game for the first time in years) the Kippax starting singing...
"Part time supporter"
A bit harsh, but still makes me smile.
I remember as well as big Joe Corrigan going up to her before every match, some of the opposition goalies did too. Bruce Grobelar being one - he was a star with her.

Nice one Biffa. I remember that and its had me sat here giggling for a good few minutes. Part-time supporter!!!!! LOL

Anyway great thread and wow wouldn't it be great to hear the bell going again. I always thought of it as a sound of encouragement rather than a victory thing so it would be great to hear it at Wembley for the final if we get there.
Someone actually posted a thread about Helen ringing her bell as we go on the attack. Can't remember which thread, and it was a while ago but it was like a dream the poster was portraying. Gave me goosebumps when I read it.

She used to sell flowers outside the MRI..always in the Social club at maine road & she always went to the away games with Finglands... she helped us out a couple of times at away game jibbing us on the coach..

She used to run some coaches from the club with bullocks, I remember her saying no v or o to the other fans, would wake you up for whip round for driver

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

bluesince1969 said:
She used to run some coaches from the club with bullocks, I remember her saying no v or o to the other fans, would wake you up for whip round for driver

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

ARE YOU SURE???

its a HTC??

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.