Helen the bell ringer

pardoe said:
A great woman. Think she passed away before we moved to CoMS, fitting in a way, she was a real icon of Maine Road. Probably the most high-profile City fan of all time. Did a lot of fundraising, by all accounts. I'll be honest, her bell bloody annoyed me at times, but a real symbol of the club, would love to hear it ringing out at Eastlands now she's gone. She had a flower stall at one of the hospitals for years, may've been St Mary's, i forget now. There's a great photo of her on the pitch with the team after one of our cup final wins (before we became allergic to silverware!). RIP Hells. A true legend.

The Bell never annoyed me. On cold misty / rainy afternoons at Maine Road when it was quiet that bell ringing made me smile. When she died and her daughter came out on the pitch at the CoMS and rung the bell I went cold.

And to the poster she was on the pitch with the team after the 1976 League Cup Final win.

Immaculate Pasta said:
0,,5972560,00.jpg

Why the hell have you put a picture of this prick up in a thread about Helen?

Dickhead.

Blue Lloyd said:
Immaculate Pasta said:

Why the hell have you put a picture of this prick up in a thread about Helen?

Dickhead.

Touchy.

Hellen was a bell ringer, so is he, there should be more of them, not enough premier league bell ringers.

Yeah I am a bit sensitive when people try and make out that knob from pompey is anything like Helen actually.

Blue Lloyd said:
Yeah I am a bit sensitive when people try and make out that knob from pompey is anything like Helen actually.

To be fair to him, that 'knob' is actually a very decent guy. He runs an antique bookstore, i believe, is very bright, quite well-spoken, follows his club through thin and thinner. Though it was probably a cheapshot by the person who originally posted it, i think him & Hel's would've had a lot in common actually.

Blue Lloyd said:

She rang a bell, so does he, it's annoying, you find it annoying when he comes to Eastlands, i found Helen's bell annoying at Maine Road.

Met her towards the end, she gave me a drumstick lolly, she's allrite in my books for that apart from that bloody bell!

I used to work at the MRI and Helen would always ask for a wheelchair to sit in near to the old A&E to sell her flowers. She was very respected by all that knew her and although I never really got to know her on a personal level, apart from to say good morning to she was always decent and I had alot of time for her and would always make sure she got her chair.

I believe she was a good character at City that didn't suffer fools gladly, sadly missed as they don't make them like Helen anymore.

R.I.P Helen.

Ps I'm sure Helen's grandson comes on Bluemoon?

Immaculate Pasta said:
Blue Lloyd said:

She rang a bell, so does he, it's annoying, you find it annoying when he comes to Eastlands, i found Helen's bell annoying at Maine Road.
Met her towards the end, she gave me a drumstick lolly, she's allrite in my books for that apart from that bloody bell!

He's not annoying just a knob and many Pompey fans feel the same.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.