Helen Turner at the 1969 FA Cup Final

KentBlue said:
I watched highlights from the following year's final a little while ago, Chelsea v Leeds. Seems incredbile to see what fouls the players got away with in those days. If those games happened today I think you'd average about 7 or 8 players per side sent off.
Also the pass back to the keeper. Every time it happened I kept thinking 'Don't be a c**t. You can't pass it to your keeper!'

The Chelsea v Leeds replay at Old Trafford in 1970 was an infamously bad tempered game. That's probably the one you watched, I guess. They got a modern ref to watch it fairly recently and I think he reckoned there'd have been seven or eight sent of and everyone else bar two players booked if that happened today.

The backpass rule does make old football look strange when the keeper picks up the ball. I also find myself thinking what the hell did he think he was doing when he took the ball into his hands.

Another thing you used to get that doesn't happen now are the tactical reorganisations when there was only one sub. If, say, the left back got injured and the sub was a striker, the team would be rejigged and often you'd have several players playing in un accustomed positions.

Dyed Petya said:
KentBlue said:
I watched highlights from the following year's final a little while ago, Chelsea v Leeds. Seems incredbile to see what fouls the players got away with in those days. If those games happened today I think you'd average about 7 or 8 players per side sent off.
Also the pass back to the keeper. Every time it happened I kept thinking 'Don't be a c**t. You can't pass it to your keeper!'

The Chelsea v Leeds replay at Old Trafford in 1970 was an infamously bad tempered game. That's probably the one you watched, I guess. They got a modern ref to watch it fairly recently and I think he reckoned there'd have been seven or eight sent of and everyone else bar two players booked if that happened today.

The backpass rule does make old football look strange when the keeper picks up the ball. I also find myself thinking what the hell did he think he was doing when he took the ball into his hands.

Another thing you used to get that doesn't happen now are the tactical reorganisations when there was only one sub. If, say, the left back got injured and the sub was a striker, the team would be rejigged and often you'd have several players playing in un accustomed positions.

david elleray sort of re-refereed the match a few years ago. sat in front of the telly he pulled out yellow and red cards whenever there was an incident that would warrant them nowadays. i remember he 'booked' 21 players but can't remember how many he red carded.

From Gary's original link I went on to find clip of the '56 final. Before my time but I've heard a lot about it - Berts broken neck etc and seen clips of the goals numerous times but never realised that the referee only had one arm.

bighelen.jpg

rassclot said:
Dyed Petya said:

david elleray sort of re-refereed the match a few years ago. sat in front of the telly he pulled out yellow and red cards whenever there was an incident that would warrant them nowadays. i remember he 'booked' 21 players but can't remember how many he red carded.

That's what I'm thinking of. I've found a Sunday Times article from 2008 looking back on the 1970 final that says this:

Former referee David Elleray, recently assessing the match, says he would have handed out six red cards and 20 yellows.

I thought he'd have sent off a couple more, actually, but it still goes to show how different things used to be.

Full article here if anyone wants it: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/article3559840.ece.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Lovely lady, heart in right place, used to look after lads on A coach during 80s 90s.

But a lot of people will probably be shocked to learn she was in actual fact a Man United fan until mid 1960s.

I had the misfortune to be on that coach a couple of times to away games in the late 80s. Sorry to say she was a right woman and acted like a Mrs Hitler.

Fully appreciate the charity work she did and the way she is favourably portrayed as a City icon, but she was hard work running the coaches.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.