help! I want to stop smoking thread.

bluezi said:
bluegirl74 said:
toffee balls said:
I am brilliant at stopping smoking.

I have done it hundreds of times.

I'm laughing but this is me too!

bluezi, I'm happy to be your quitting buddy if you'd like.

Cheers bluegirl74. My aim is that this thread could help anyone of us to quit smoking. We can all be quit buddies. Appreciated. :-)
Don't tell jimharri about this:)

3 years since i packed up , smoked for 30 + years and never really believed that id kick the habit but then i tried champix , cant recommend it enough , ill be honest i wasnt really that bothered , my missus badgered me but the tablets really do take away the cravings , coming off them is the toughest bit but by then you ve gone 3 - 6 months without one , which gives you the impetus to keep on , before i gave up fags i was using an inhaler every 2 to 3 weeks now i hardly use it at all , the younger you are when you pack up the more your bodies ability to heal itself and the benefits are enormous .

bluezi said:
Can we use this as our own thread for people who want to stop smoking.
We can try and help each other when the erge takes hold.
Other ex smokers with advice and support would be excellent and very welcomed.
Maybe the mods can make this a sticky so we dont have to search for it.
Please post your suggestions and stats.

13 days not smoked from a 30yr 15 a day habit.

Don't believe the hype.

It is easy.<br /><br />-- Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:34 am --<br /><br />
bobmcfc said:
Damocles is right, you do need things that distract you from your urges like books, music and films. Treat every day as a mountain climbed and reward your hard work at the end of the week. If you want to set a goal like a holiday or something you can spend all that saved cash on then it's motivator

He is totally wrong. Concentrate on that "craving" , analyse it and come to the conclusion you don't need them.

Step:
1) buy pack of cigarettes
2) rub poo on the mouth end of each cig
3) try and not smoke for as long as possible
4) when you give into your craving, have a smoke.
5) be disgusted by taste of poo on your lips
6) put cigarette down
7) every time you get a craving from now on, have a smoke
8) continually be disgusted by taste of poo

You'll slowly learn that each craving will result in poo on your lips. I guarantee you'll quit in no time...unless you like poo. Don't knock the logic till you've tried it.

denislawsbackheel said:
First do not underestimate how long it is going to take. Physical addiction is gone quickly but psychological addiction takes months to get rid of.
The biggest incentive was a letter my 10 year old daughter wrote to me begging me to stop.
I did it by using highest strength Nicorette tabs for 6 months. A further 6 months was spent gradually weaning off them. I saved my ciggy money in a jar and treated the mrs with it. I haven't touched tobacco now for over 9 years. I hate the smell of them now but occasionally still think I could murder one.

My challenge now is getting off the tramadol prescribed for my arthritis. When I try I get terrible cramping in my legs and "restless leg" keeping me up most of the night.

I feel your pain regarding the restless leg, it has a proper name now, Willis Ekbom disease, I was prescribed some tablets but they messed with my mind big time, they are also for Parkinson's disease, can't remember the name, I sacked them off after a month or so, decided to live with it, I get a couple of hours proper sleep, usually after about 4am.

Started on the ecig this time last year after 41yrs of 50/60 a day, suffered a brainbleed in 2010, had 7hrs surgery and made a full recovery, even then it took me 3yrs and a stern letter from the consultant to bring me to my senses, best letter I ever received.
Can now feel the benefits of giving up, breathing, stamina etc etc, hopefully the biggest benefit will be that I don't have to have surgery again this year, was touch and go last year following my scan, they did an angiogram and decided to leave it for a year to see if my efforts will pay dividend, here's hoping.

Even though it was so serious I don't think I could have managed it without the ecig, it's been a godsend.

I don't think there is any set rule for giving up fags, other than, as others have said, you have to want it, really want it.

My mrs still smokes, I wish she didn't, but I'll never give her grief over it, it's personal choice, she's just not ready to give up yet.

|Good luck to anyone trying, it's definitely worth the effort.

glyncity said:
3 years since i packed up , smoked for 30 + years and never really believed that id kick the habit but then i tried champix , cant recommend it enough , ill be honest i wasnt really that bothered , my missus badgered me but the tablets really do take away the cravings , coming off them is the toughest bit but by then you ve gone 3 - 6 months without one , which gives you the impetus to keep on , before i gave up fags i was using an inhaler every 2 to 3 weeks now i hardly use it at all , the younger you are when you pack up the more your bodies ability to heal itself and the benefits are enormous .

Glad they worked for you as they didn't for me. I smoked 25+ a day for 40+ years, I gave up just over 5 years ago by reading Alan Carrs book "The only

permanent way to stop smoking", with this book you realise what a con ciggies are, you don't have to stop before you start reading, but as you read

you find that your ciggies start tasting really bad. Using patches are just another way of taking nicotine into your body. Hope you succeed as the benefits

are really great

blue rebel said:
glyncity said:

Glad they worked for you as they didn't for me. I smoked 25+ a day for 40+ years, I gave up just over 5 years ago by reading Alan Carrs book "The only

permanent way to stop smoking", with this book you realise what a con ciggies are, you don't have to stop before you start reading, but as you read

you find that your ciggies start tasting really bad. Using patches are just another way of taking nicotine into your body. Hope you succeed as the benefits

are really great

I've heard about Alan Carrs book I'll definitely give it a lot of thought. Cheers.

There's some brilliant success stories so far. I'm hoping others wanting to quit will get the same inspiration from them as me.

bluezi said:
blue rebel said:
glyncity said:

are really great

I've heard about Alan Carrs book I'll definitely give it a lot of thought. Cheers.

There's some brilliant success stories so far. I'm hoping others wanting to quit will get the same inspiration from them as me.

You just stick with what's working pal, I also read the Carr book, did Champix, patches, gum, none of them were any good for me, it's such an individual thing, maybe for you it is making your statement on here and feeling like you now have to succeed, that's fair enough. For me it was to sit and read that consultants letter repeatedly until it sunk in.

Not saying don't try the book but you seem to have a grip on things even though it's early days, there's no shame in failing, just get back on it again using a different method, you will crack it if you really want to.

Actually, the ecig thread on here got me to try them instead and I weaned myself off and gave up in July. Not had one since, or an ecig.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.