Hoffenheim (A) Post Match Thread

Walker red? Meh. Not unless you are giving the red for the “tackle” (frustrated foot up at knee height) on David Silva, which was far more dangerous.

What makes Walkers look bad initially is the speed of the challenge, because that kind of challenge has been outlawed everywhere in the world except Britain. However, in super slomo, it is clear that his studs are raised and he catches the player, which elevates it. On first viewing, I thought it was good, hard challenge. I’m second viewing, with the benefit of the slomo, it was a definite yellow. In the UCL, with the quality of some of the refs, it could have been worse. Then again, after the throw in incident and the lack of penalty for Sané, I’ll take the yellow!

Ref made some strange calls, but we need to stop worrying about them and beat teams in a manner that the refs can almost do nothing about it.

That performance would have come with a 3-0 scoreline at Anfield. Pep needs to fix the defense and midfield for Sunday. Far too much passing for passing sake at the back. With Stones and zlaporte in the middle, it seems like we are constantly on the front foot. With a Kompany and zeta, we fanny about waaaaay too slowly and we just give the opposition the chance to sit with 11 behind the ball, trying to find a non-existent space to exploit.

We are top of the League and our CL Group is wide open due to draws in our favor, but we appear to be (tin hat at the ready!) struggling with our movement and penetration at times, often running out of ideas and the impetus needed to breakdown the stalwart defence of even the most average of teams. We have made bad teams look good for 70 minutes, then grab a couple of late goals and the 3-0 scoreline makes it look like we strolled it. Would like to FEEL like we strolled it a bit more than we have been doing recently.

When we were pinning them back in the later stages (before the last few mins) we looked in good nick with a back 3 and Stones and Dinho in front of them. Mahrez didn’t have much impact, and is a step down from the performances Sterling has been putting in. However, Bernardo is a game changing substitute and appears a shoo in for a start at Anfield.

The only reason I can think of to create that decision, is that there was another ball on the pitch, out of sight of the camera, the ref does point at something too.

Yeah, I just watched it about 20 times and I'm still scratching my head. I thought he was pointing that it was our throw in.
No idea what he was up to there. I had to listen to it on the radio at work and the commentators were stunned.

I think the referee blew for it to be retaken from where the ball actually went over the touch line. silva took it about a yard in front. Pedantic but that is the rule of the game.

I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he's not a moron. Perhaps he is.

Yeah, I just watched it about 20 times and I'm still scratching my head. I thought he was pointing that it was our throw in.
No idea what he was up to there. I had to listen to it on the radio at work and the commentators were stunned.
He points twice, once to give the throw in, then again with the other arm at something else, if it was another ball he's correct. You can't restart with 2 balls on the pitch, so that is the only thing I can think of, unless he's making up a new rule that we have to wait till everyone is ready, but that is bollocks because you can take quick free kicks, corners, and throw ins, unless he has directed you to wait (for a sub etc, or to arrange a wall).

He points twice, once to give the throw in, then again with the other arm at something else, if it was another ball he's correct. You can't restart with 2 balls on the pitch, so that is the only thing I can think of, unless he's making up a new rule that we have to wait till everyone is ready, but that is bollocks because you can take quick free kicks, corners, and throw ins, unless he has directed you to wait (for a sub etc, or to arrange a wall).

I'm going to watch the match and see if there's a wider shot.

@cleavers
I don't see anything on this clip mate. Pep And Dave are not to happy though. 33min.

https://www.fullmatchesandshows.com...m-vs-manchester-city-highlights-full-match/#1

Last edited:
There is no reason why the referee should have held up play. No object enters the field and play should have continued.

However, the referee is probably unsure who had the last touch, partly because a Hoffenheim player is in his ear. (The ball is cleanly intercepted by a Hoffenheim player’s foot, it’s not deflected against Sane on the way out).
Now, he could have been making his own mind up or checking with the Lino, who doesn’t have a great view on the half way line, but he can’t overturn a decision that he makes once play has restarted, which is the crux of the matter.

So, the answer to the mystery is that he stopped play because David Silva was too quick for him when deciding who last touched the ball.

Now, go back and read 1st paragraph, that’s what should have happened.
Seems legit but very annoying

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.