Holidays

I was in Alanya last month £1.00 was 30TL and bars outside of my all inclusive resort were charging 200TL plus for a pint of lager so £6+.
Turkey is no longer cheap a can of coke was 4 euro.
They have inflation at 70% and the tourist is copping for it. The Russians can go there but they are jumping ship and going to Egypt and Cyprus instead.
Fellow holiday makers who I spoke to while away said they would not be returning and neither will I.

Solid shout. And anyone with an ounce of a brain wants to be avoiding where the Russians are going. They have always been scummy cunts to reside alongside. They don't do the civilised thing of a few beers in the local taverna. They buy their own brand wodka from the Russian owned off-licence and drink well into the night inside the accomodation then smash the bottles on the pavements for everyone else to walk in. Scummy cunts. They have ruined Cyprus and parts of Greece buying up all the business, which is happening in Ukraine too. They swarm in like rats during crisis.

Some idiot I work with keeps going to Egypt with his wife and young kids. Baffles me how you'd ever take a woman or blonde kids to a Muslim country. He said he's never been the pyramids, they just sit in a resort in Sharm El Sheikh but there's loads of snorkeling you can do apparently. Yeah in shark infested waters you fucking plank. This fella is on a good screw as well, you are talking £60k+, he could take his family anywhere and chooses there. Yorkshireman though so explains a lot, tight ****.

Solid shout. And anyone with an ounce of a brain wants to be avoiding where the Russians are going. They have always been scummy cunts to reside alongside. They don't do the civilised thing of a few beers in the local taverna. They buy their own brand wodka from the Russian owned off-licence and drink well into the night inside the accomodation then smash the bottles on the pavements for everyone else to walk in. Scummy cunts. They have ruined Cyprus and parts of Greece buying up all the business, which is happening in Ukraine too. They swarm in like rats during crisis.

Some idiot I work with keeps going to Egypt with his wife and young kids. Baffles me how you'd ever take a woman or blonde kids to a Muslim country. He said he's never been the pyramids, they just sit in a resort in Sharm El Sheikh but there's loads of snorkeling you can do apparently. Yeah in shark infested waters you fucking plank. This fella is on a good screw as well, you are talking £60k+, he could take his family anywhere and chooses there. Yorkshireman though so explains a lot, tight ****.
First paragraph, yes okay
Second paragraph WTF ???

Quick question:

Awful month and a planned break had to be put on hold as my mother was very ill (and sadly passed away).

I want to book a week away somewhere. My daughter wants to go back to Cornwall as we missed it this year (and we love going) but no chance I'm going in October so will wait till May next year for that.

However, she's not keen on travelling to Europe (she's autistic and has given no reason for not wanting to go) but my son (13) will.

So it's a uk break somewhere, or a trip to somewhere abroad (I do fancy Palma - a mix of a rare pool holiday but with a cultural addition in Palma).

Was told to steer clear of booking.com but where else do I go (I'm hoping for next week, or the week after at the latest). Package holiday (with little time to research how decent the hotels may be) or find a deal on a hotel then find a flight?

Jump on the traditional high street Travel Agents? Use Sky Scanner?

I have a budget of around £1.5k tops and it's been so long since I've left the UK I've lost touch in holiday booking.

Any advice would be (as ever) greatly appreciated.
Never had a problem with Booking. Just done Sicily and Italy with it. Now they were expensive !! I always look at Booking for reviews and ideas and then check the hotel’s own website which can be cheaper. Never less than a 9/10 is my rule.

Palma is nice except for a graffiti overdose. Have you been before? Get the vintage train to Soller. It’s a thing of beauty and a nice ride through the country and Soller is a nice place. You can stay in the town or get the vintage tram to the port/beach from the centre. Nice day out.

Your second para went up a notch there didn't it!

I don't think Muslims have a particular taste for women and blondes. I took my wife and kids to Jordan and two of my kids are blonde. Didn't have an issue. It's also worth noting it's about 5hrs to drive from Sharm to the pyramids so quite possibly the reason he hasn't been. It's also much safer in a resort than taking the kids out to the carnage of the pyramids! Although I hear the Russians have invaded Egypt too.

Never had a problem with Booking. Just done Sicily and Italy with it. Now they were expensive !! I always look at Booking for reviews and ideas and then check the hotel’s own website which can be cheaper. Never less than a 9/10 is my rule.

Palma is nice except for a graffiti overdose. Have you been before? Get the vintage train to Soller. It’s a thing of beauty and a nice ride through the country and Soller is a nice place. You can stay in the town or get the vintage tram to the port/beach from the centre. Nice day out.
Cheers - I may jump on booking.com
Was speaking to a colleague about Online Booking sites and I STILL believe they're not as user friendly as they could be.
As much as I love tech/websites/apps (and indeed work in that field) I'm actually contemplating trying a 'bricks and mortar' agent. The experience isn't at all sharp.

Never been to Palma but ticks all the boxes atm. Love Barcelona (and Ibiza) and I think this would be ideal for me and my boy.
Centrally for the better hotels (HM Palma Blanca was recommended to me) is a bit pricy, further out (7 miles ish) look ok but I'd have to factor in travel into Palma (I want a mix of relax/beach and a vibrant town).

Think I'm going to struggle to book for this Saturday (I've a lot on atm - the irony being I absolutely need a holiday), so may look for the week later. Weather should still be dandy. then right?

Train ride sounds amazing - did I read that as Soller may be an alternate place to stay (but with a train ride into central Palma?).

Thanks!!

I’ve witnessed many Russians (and Germans) firsthand in Turkey, rude, arrogant, obnoxious, disrespectful and discourteous twats, and I hate saying that because of Petrusha on here who is anything but, oddly though, there was a huge Russian lad there last week, over 6’6” and about 20 stone, really good nick, shaved head, tattoos all over his face, looked rough as, yet he was the most polite and courteous person you could wish to meet, but one he was an exception.

Second, certainly not the case in Turkey ( may feel different in the more Northern parts, I don’t know), I say that having spoken to many ex-pats/wives (with blonde hair) and kids (with blond(e) hair) they may get the odd look but it’s more in a ‘oh there’s someone with blond(e) hair, we don’t often see that’, but that’s it can’t speak for Egypt as never been, but Marrakesh certainly felt a bit iffy, 6 weeks or so after getting back those two young girls were found in the ‘Atlas Mountains’.

Muslims I’ve worked with and know here in the UK have always been smashing, so would say it was more of a ‘wrong un’ thing than anything religious.

I’ve witnessed many Russians (and Germans) firsthand in Turkey, rude, arrogant, obnoxious, disrespectful and discourteous twats, and I hate saying that because of Petrusha on here who is anything but, oddly though, there was a huge Russian lad there last week, over 6’6” and about 20 stone, really good nick, shaved head, tattoos all over his face, looked rough as, yet he was the most polite and courteous person you could wish to meet, but one he was an exception.

Second, certainly not the case in Turkey ( may feel different in the more Northern parts, I don’t know), I say that having spoken to many ex-pats/wives (with blonde hair) and kids (with blond(e) hair) they may get the odd look but it’s more in a ‘oh there’s someone with blond(e) hair, we don’t often see that’, but that’s it can’t speak for Egypt as never been, but Marrakesh certainly felt a bit iffy, 6 weeks or so after getting back those two young girls were found in the ‘Atlas Mountains’.

Muslims I’ve worked with and know here in the UK have always been smashing, so would say it was more of a ‘wrong un’ thing than anything religious.

He isn't Russian.

Also, there's an Aquarium in Palma which I know my lad would love.
Some of the hotels coming up are a bit further out from the centre, presumably decent enough transport to get around?

Also, some of the 'Palma' hotels are in Magaluf by the looks of it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.