Honestly who is/was better?

Usual short memories by Blues. I know Silva is good, but he is surrounded by a decent team. Put him in the team that Kinkladze was in and you'll see a different player.

I would absolutely never compare players from different eras, as so much has changed. Kinky was awesome for the time he played, and the shite he played with, but don't compare him to anyone in today's team - it's just fucking rubbish.

Oh, and i'm fucking bored with 'World Cup Winner' stuff. How the fuck can you put that in a discussion about Kinkladze? Silva is in one of the most talented international teams ever to be fielded. It's a lazy comparison....not even worthy of Paul Merson.

Silva for me too, but its a very difficult comparison.....to paraphrase the famous quote at the time having Gio in that City side was like having a Ferrari engine in a Lada chasis.
Silva is like a Ferrari engine in a Ferrari chasis (.....and we own the Ferrari company too)

I'm sorry to say this but Kinkladze has got to be one of, if not, the most over rated City players of all time. Silva could leave us and pretty much walk into any team in the world, like somebody has already said Kinkladze couldn't get game time at Derby fucking County. Memories of what know appear to be a nostalgic period of our history seriously cloud some peoples opinions on former players. Silva is up there with the very best players in the world, Kinkladze was a decent player surrounded by lets be honest, garbage!

Bilboblue said:
bluesmith said:
Anyone who says Gio should stop watching football! Gio was a really good player but not in the same league as Silva

You have to remember the different times they both played in.

I think Kinky would have been brilliant in this team, the one he played in were two moves behind him 90% of the time.

I do think Silva is better, though your comment about 'should stop watching football' is arrogant to say the least, people are entitled to voice opinions, doesn't make yours better than theirs.

spot on Billy.... In those days Kinky was 'the shining light' by a mile. He was the one we came to see. Now we have many superstars... that is the difference.

Its tempting to make comparisons, each in their own right made/make an indelible impression. I just wonder do fans make these comparisons based on how they felt about respective players having an emotional effect as opposed to their footballing skills per se. If its the former Im sorry David but not just yet mate.

malg said:
Usual short memories by Blues. I know Silva is good, but he is surrounded by a decent team. Put him in the team that Kinkladze was in and you'll see a different player.

I would absolutely never compare players from different eras, as so much has changed. Kinky was awesome for the time he played, and the shite he played with, but don't compare him to anyone in today's team - it's just fucking rubbish.

Oh, and i'm fucking bored with 'World Cup Winner' stuff. How the fuck can you put that in a discussion about Kinkladze? Silva is in one of the most talented international teams ever to be fielded. It's a lazy comparison....not even worthy of Paul Merson.
Actually, I believe that if you put Silva in any team, his quality would show up. This is because his talent is backed up by application and workrate. So that even when he's not playing particularly well, as against QPR, he can still come up with a moment like his goal.

But I broadly agree with your point that it's invidious to compare players in different situations. I feel this about the oft-repeated assertion that Messi is on an altogether different level/planet/universe to all other players. Messi plays in possibly the most skilful, talented team of all time. He is generally much less effective when he plays for Argentina.

Which doesn't mean that he (Messi) isn't still a supreme, sublime talent. I suspect that Silva might be one too. He needs to show it over a couple of seasons. [Let's pray that he isn't ever badly injured. I remember watching the late Peter Osgood (Chelsea and England) playing. He was one of the most supremely skilful strikers I have ever seen. He broke a leg - and was never as good afterwards.]

colourmeblue said:
Its tempting to make comparisons, each in their own right made/make an indelible impression. I just wonder do fans make these comparisons based on how they felt about respective players having an emotional effect as opposed to their footballing skills per se. If its the former Im sorry David but not just yet mate.
You're right about "emotional effect" having a major part to play.

But would anyone claim that Goater was a better striker/player than Aguero, Balotelli, or Dzeko? From what I read in this forum, I suspect that his "emotional effect" was greater than any of these.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.