Honestly who is/was better?

levets said:
Bilboblue said:
bluesmith said:
Anyone who says Gio should stop watching football! Gio was a really good player but not in the same league as Silva

You have to remember the different times they both played in.

I think Kinky would have been brilliant in this team, the one he played in were two moves behind him 90% of the time.

I do think Silva is better, though your comment about 'should stop watching football' is arrogant to say the least, people are entitled to voice opinions, doesn't make yours better than theirs.

spot on Billy.... In those days Kinky was 'the shining light' by a mile. He was the one we came to see. Now we have many superstars... that is the difference.

The difference is that Silva plays football & works his bollox off, Gio had a bit of fun to entertain himself with a football & strolled around the pitch doing sweet f.a. the rest of the time.

Gio was signed by Ajax & not good enough for them so they flogged him off to Derby cheap. Silva would have been their best player by 100% & been worth much more money than when they signed him.

The is no comparison.

Yes David Silva is the better player but if you asked me which player I would prefer to watch it would be Kinkladze for me. Thats not a criticism of Silva just an appreciation of a footballer , whos drop of the shoulder, low centre of gravity, burst of speed, control of a football is only comparable in my eyes to Messi and Maradona.

I'll never forget Kinky, I was in my late teens when he was at City & I loved him. Silva is so much better its unture, but it doesnt stop me replaying the goal v Southampton in my head every now and again...

Its like a bird I used to see who was a right knobhead, but she gave the best blowies in the world! My Mrs now is the best thing to ever happen to me apart from City, but I still daydream about those blowies.....

Neville Kneville said:
levets said:
Bilboblue said:
You have to remember the different times they both played in.

I think Kinky would have been brilliant in this team, the one he played in were two moves behind him 90% of the time.

I do think Silva is better, though your comment about 'should stop watching football' is arrogant to say the least, people are entitled to voice opinions, doesn't make yours better than theirs.

spot on Billy.... In those days Kinky was 'the shining light' by a mile. He was the one we came to see. Now we have many superstars... that is the difference.

The difference is that Silva plays football & works his bollox off, Gio had a bit of fun to entertain himself with a football & strolled around the pitch doing sweet f.a. the rest of the time.

Gio was signed by Ajax & not good enough for them so they flogged him off to Derby cheap. Silva would have been their best player by 100% & been worth much more money than when they signed him.

The is no comparison.

Absolute load of rubbish, I will never forget Kinkladze walking of the pitch crying after the Liverpool match, he was the shining light in one the worst team in our history. He put everything in that season.

Did his performances suffer the following two years, in a side struggling in the first division ...Yes. We will not be able to make the comparison with Silva, because I doubt any player would show us such loyalty.

Wingsofasparrow said:
I'll never forget Kinky, I was in my late teens when he was at City & I loved him. Silva is so much better its unture, but it doesnt stop me replaying the goal v Southampton in my head every now and again...

Its like a bird I used to see who was a right knobhead, but she gave the best blowies in the world! My Mrs now is the best thing to ever happen to me apart from City, but I still daydream about those blowies.....

Take it your Mrs doesnt come on here then??!!!

Silva all day long. I remember Kinky very fondly but think over time I've over romanticised how good he actually was..........just a shining light in an otherwise awful era

Blumers Bloomers said:
Wingsofasparrow said:

Silva all day long. I remember Kinky very fondly but think over time I've over romanticised how good he actually was..........just a shining light in an otherwise awful era

I dont think you have in the first season in english football, he walked into the premier lge and took it by storm. A fantastic debut season in a struggling side. Will never forget the game against Newcastle the 3-3, when he single handedly destroyed them. Alan Hansen described his performance as "Incredible".

We never got to see the best out of him over a long period and he wont have the lasting impact of a Davis Silva unfortunately. The circumstances of the club were different.

An ultimately disappointing career says everything about Gio's lack of application...but is not relevant to the skill + quality that he showed whilst playing for City.

Unlike Ali B + Berkovic...who were towards the end of their playing careers...Gio was at the peak of his game when he played for City...and bringing him to the club was one of the few positive things Frannie Lee achieved whilst in charge.

If you actually watch the whole clip of Gio's play...it is very difficult to come up with a list of players that can match that skill / burst of pace / dribbling ability / close control: Messi / Maradona / ?? / ??.

Of course Silva is a better team player / has a better work ethic / and is destined to have a far more memorable career than Gio...but Silva is also lucky to be surrounded by very talented players both with City + Spain.

p.s. on a different point, can someone explain to me why so many of the most "naturally" talented players (especially dribbling / close control etc) are left-footed: Maradona / Messi / Robben / Silva / Gio etc
(I think its something to do with the way the right-hand side of the brain..which controls the left-side of the body...works)

I assume this thread is some kind of wind up?

Kinkladze was a penny in a sea of shite, whereas Silva is a genuine world class player who would make the starting line up of any club side in the world. It's like debating whether Goater is a better player than Aguero.

franksinatra said:
Blumers Bloomers said:
Wingsofasparrow said:

I dont think you have in the first season in english football, he walked into the premier lge and took it by storm. A fantastic debut season in a struggling side. Will never forget the game against Newcastle the 3-3, when he single handedly destroyed them. Alan Hansen described his performance as "Incredible".

We never got to see the best out of him over a long period and he wont have the lasting impact of a Davis Silva unfortunately. The circumstances of the club were different.
That's why I would never judge a player just on one season, let alone on one match. The more I hear some City fans comments on KInkladze, the more my mind goes to George Best.

I remember watching George Best - almost certainly a better player than Kinkladze - "single-handedly" destroy Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough in the space of 15 minutes (and Man.U. won that game 3-1, all goals by Best - did City only draw 3-3 against Newcastle, despite Kinkladze?).

But was George Best really one of the greatest? Not in my book, even though he had more than one effective season - because he wasted the tremendous talent he had. A few years after the Hillsborough game, I saw Best playing for Fulham - alongside Rodney Marsh - and aside from a few tricks, he wasn't that effective.

Ajax clearly didn't in the end rate Kinkladze very highly.

franksinatra said:
Yes David Silva is the better player but if you asked me which player I would prefer to watch it would be Kinkladze for me. Thats not a criticism of Silva just an appreciation of a footballer , whos drop of the shoulder, low centre of gravity, burst of speed, control of a football is only comparable in my eyes to Messi and Maradona.
You my friend, have talked the most sense on this debate. Almost word for word exactly what I was about to post. Some posters on here forget the magic that the "Dancer" could conjure up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.