Hong Kong and British Guarantees

Realistically, what can we even do?

We're not the superpower anymore.

China is hardly going to be shitting bricks are they? We have a PM who's word cannot be trusted, who's short stint dabbling in foreign policy was a disaster and when the watch this bungling fiasco that is going on at the moment they must be pissing themselves laughing and just preparing to do whatever they want.

China is hardly going to be shitting bricks are they? We have a PM who's word cannot be trusted, who's short stint dabbling in foreign policy was a disaster and when the watch this bungling fiasco that is going on at the moment they must be pissing themselves laughing and just preparing to do whatever they want.
Tbh even if we had batman as a pm the Chinese would hardly shit bricks. If it comes to fisticuffs even a basic knowledge of military strategy and supply lines mean there is nothing we can do. Better appealing to china's greed and the usefulness of Hk as a back door to the benefits of capitalism.

Tbh even if we had batman as a pm the Chinese would hardly shit bricks. If it comes to fisticuffs even a basic knowledge of military strategy and supply lines mean there is nothing we can do. Better appealing to china's greed and the usefulness of Hk as a back door to the benefits of capitalism.
From that post you’d think that China needs a back door to capitalism. It might have escaped your notice but China is probably amongst the most capitalist countries in the world with or without HK, in spite of being ruled by the Chinese Communist Party.

From that post you’d think that China needs a back door to capitalism. It might have escaped your notice but China is probably amongst the most capitalist countries in the world with or without HK, in spite of being ruled by the Chinese Communist Party.
Absolutely, like most of us I sit surrounded by cheap Chinese goods, but I'm sure Hk's position in financial markets and geographicaly has benefits. I'm not pretending I'm an expert btw. Possibly just that China sees Hk as part of its territory in geographical terms and realises there isn't much we can/will do to stop it?

I am surprised China would kill the HK goose that's laying such golden eggs. On the other hand they've never forgotten or forgiven the humiliation heaped on them by the West in the 1800s, so the 1997 promise to respect HK's freedom was always likely to get broken when China thought the time was right.
As for Britain objecting, back in the 1850s there was a guy named Don Pacifico, a Portuguese Jew living in Greece but born of British parents and therefore a British subject. His house got destroyed in a riot and British P.M. Lord Palmerston sent the Royal Navy to bombard Athens until the Greek gov't paid compensation. Them days are gone.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.