Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

Just been reading a piece on the Ex football referee Jeff Winter, who apparently only got into refereeing after a near death experience at Maine Road in the 70s, when (along with 500 Boro fans) he tried to storm the Kippax and was confronted by a City fan with a knife.
Even allowing for the usual football hooligan exaggeration I'm struggling to recall a game at Maine Road in the 70s when Boro brought more than 300
He was born in 1955 So I suppose he could be referring to one of the cup matches in 72 or 76.

Anyone remember violence at those games?
Just been reading a piece on the Ex football referee Jeff Winter, who apparently only got into refereeing after a near death experience at Maine Road in the 70s, when (along with 500 Boro fans) he tried to storm the Kippax and was confronted by a City fan with a knife.
Even allowing for the usual football hooligan exaggeration I'm struggling to recall a game at Maine Road in the 70s when Boro brought more than 300
He was born in 1955 So I suppose he could be referring to one of the cup matches in 72 or 76.

He got his own back he was one of the magistrates in Boro when we had to appear in court after the 8-1 , our brief warned us he was on duty thankfully we avoided him. My case was dismissed, many who appeared in front him received 3 year banning orders I didn’t meet anyone who didn’t get one from him.

I (think) I remember an afternoon game (so not league cup) around 1975 when quite a few hundred of them appeared in the Kippax corner near the North Stand really early when hardly anyone else was in the ground. Stood there chanting enthusiastically for about half an hour while the Kippax filled up. It didn’t end well for them, seem to remember a number desperately scrambling (defo not “storming”) up the wall of the North Stand to get away…..
Yep me and my dad walked in on that and just stood in the middle at the back watching.

He got his own back he was one of the magistrates in Boro when we had to appear in court after the 8-1 , our brief warned us he was on duty thankfully we avoided him. My case was dismissed, many who appeared in front him received 3 year banning orders I didn’t meet anyone who didn’t get one from him.
Apparently he hated City for some reason. A mate of mine said he went to a talk that he gave and he openly said it; he said the only good thing about Manchester City was that we sang Graham Poll is a fucking arsehole, cos he hated him as well

Apparently he hated City for some reason. A mate of mine said he went to a talk that he gave and he openly said it; he said the only good thing about Manchester City was that we sang Graham Poll is a fucking arsehole, cos he hated him as well
Not hooligan related but I remember going the GMex to watch the finals day of the Sky/Guinness soccer 6's.

Three quarters of the crowd were City fans lots of which were little kids. It was a straight knockout on the day and the **** managed to send off 2 City players in the first half.....ruined the whole night.

This is the total n utter **** that ruled a Danny Tiatto wonder goal from his own box for..wait for it..offside!. Why the fuck he was ever able to ref a game in which his beloved Boro were playing in is yet another mystery.

This is the total n utter **** that ruled a Danny Tiatto wonder goal from his own box for..wait for it..offside!. Why the fuck he was ever able to ref a game in which his beloved Boro were playing in is yet another mystery.

You sure about that? I’m pretty sure he never refereed a Middlesbrough game.

I’m surprised I don’t remember somebody hitting the net from inside their own box aswell.

My god, I never realised he was the ref that day, I still have a scar on my leg from going over about 3 rows of seats when Thatto scored , shall we talk about that offside ?
The fact that the **** openly tells a large gathering that he hated us and was biased against us tells us all we need to know about the fairness of English referees. Whether he was the ref or not that say I can’t recall, the fake tanned ****.

Edit the ref was Alan Wiley

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.