Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

It was mentioned in the match programme because a number of dad's and lads were forced to run from the scene. Not sure if it was premeditated or just a spontaneous incident.

West Ham was a strange one, essentially because we'd never previously witnessed this type of ingenuity from away fans at Maine Road.

In 81-82 they filled a whole block of Main Stand seats nearest to the Platt Lane, but the following season they filled the whole block nearest to the North Stand
I don't recall much aggro. It was more of a WE'LL SIT WHERE WE WANT AND THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT with gangs of frustrated blues in other stands
Yeah West Ham were all doing that funny thing with their arms

I might have dreamt this:

Chelsea banned but a small mob of punk type Chelsea turn up pogoing about near the ticket office / main stand forecourt. Chanting Chelsea - Utd will never be defeated/ cam on u cants.

City just looking on rolling around laughing.

Was it a mad dream? too many drugs?
We lost 3-2. Think Clive Walker got their winner. Peter Osgood was their manager.
It was all ticket in the Platt Lane due to their ban. Remember more about that than any game this season!

We lost 3-2. Think Clive Walker got their winner. Peter Osgood was their manager.
It was all ticket in the Platt Lane due to their ban. Remember more about that than any game this season!
There were three games that season where away fans were banned I think. Chelsea, Wolves and Leeds maybe. Or if they weren't all banned, the club had introduced some kind of voucher system. You got vouchers for all three as you entered the stadium a few weeks before. They looked like match tickets but you needed to show the voucher to buy a ticket. To show you how efficient Swales's securiy system was, my mate just picked upa bunch of about 200 and was trying to sell tham at school. Around 86ish.

There were three games that season where away fans were banned I think. Chelsea, Wolves and Leeds maybe. Or if they weren't all banned, the club had introduced some kind of voucher system. You got vouchers for all three as you entered the stadium a few weeks before. They looked like match tickets but you needed to show the voucher to buy a ticket. To show you how efficient Swales's securiy system was, my mate just picked upa bunch of about 200 and was trying to sell tham at school. Around 86ish.
Chelsea had supposedly been banned for all their away games in 85-86, but regularly turned up regardless. The Maine Road fixture was an early kick off (possibly 11:30) but around 400 were allowed into the Platt Lane.

Wolves was a LC fixture in 87-88 after they had rioted at Scarborough on the opening day. However, I remember City fans helping them buy tickets, and from memory it was quite a small crowd with Wolves fans dotted all over the ground, and particularly visible when Eric Nixon dropped a late clanger.
The away leg was quite eventful as well.

81-82 Was in the Platt Lane for WHU home. The whole ICF firm was in the main stand by the platt lane I would say 300 ish, doing the okay cokey etc. Crap game they won 1 nil, Paul Goddard scored I think. Anyway they were ignored in the ground, except a few (one or two) moss side boye chatting with them. Outside the ground it kicked off and had to walk through and dodge a few back to the car. Shirters and scarfers in the away end were less numbers

Chelsea came in huge numbers to the 1971 ECWC semi final in 1971. I was 14 at the time and shitting myself. Lots of Chelsea got in Kippax but were chased out and finished jn the partially built North Stand. Uniteds boys out in force as well as they weren't letting cockneys take liberty's in Manchester. Don't know how any Chelsea got back to Piccadilly Station in one piece mad as f**k outside. Pre match saw a scots Chelsea fan on crutches from a beating at the first leg getting battered again on the Kippax car park. Thankfully had a lift back to Fleetwood Fleetwood off my dad that night so spared the walk back to town. Crazy times

I might have dreamt this:

Chelsea banned but a small mob of punk type Chelsea turn up pogoing about near the ticket office / main stand forecourt. Chanting Chelsea - Utd will never be defeated/ cam on u cants.

City just looking on rolling around laughing.

Was it a mad dream? too many drugs?

I've mentioned it in this thread, I was there. I don't remember punks these were hardcore hooligans. They were in black reefer jackets and docs. About fifty, marching in perfect formation like the fucking army. That's what they were chanting though. Once we recovered from our surprise we started to get together to attack them but the old bill quickly surrounded them and took them off.

Chelsea came in huge numbers to the 1971 ECWC semi final in 1971. I was 14 at the time and shitting myself. Lots of Chelsea got in Kippax but were chased out and finished jn the partially built North Stand. Uniteds boys out in force as well as they weren't letting cockneys take liberty's in Manchester. Don't know how any Chelsea got back to Piccadilly Station in one piece mad as f**k outside. Pre match saw a scots Chelsea fan on crutches from a beating at the first leg getting battered again on the Kippax car park. Thankfully had a lift back to Fleetwood Fleetwood off my dad that night so spared the walk back to town. Crazy times

I was at that game in the Kippax near the front it was rammed. Kicked off royally at the back for ages. You're right they ended up on n the North stand. I remember them singing that song, "Na na na Chelsea FC!"

81-82 Was in the Platt Lane for WHU home. The whole ICF firm was in the main stand by the platt lane I would say 300 ish, doing the okay cokey etc. Crap game they won 1 nil, Paul Goddard scored I think. Anyway they were ignored in the ground, except a few (one or two) moss side boye chatting with them. Outside the ground it kicked off and had to walk through and dodge a few back to the car. Shirters and scarfers in the away end were less numbers
Was in the North Stand that night wondered what the f**k was going on. Great respect over years between the two fan bases, in England probably only the Irons and Mackems show us any friendship.

I've mentioned it in this thread, I was there. I don't remember punks these were hardcore hooligans. They were in black reefer jackets and docs. About fifty, marching in perfect formation like the fucking army. That's what they were chanting though. Once we recovered from our surprise we started to get together to attack them but the old bill quickly surrounded them and took them off.
It was fucking freezing - fairly certain the orange ball was used. Think it was snowing. Micky Droy probably played in short sleeves though!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.