Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

I was in court giving defence evidence of a sort. Ken Dodd was next door.
Remember that, QE2 Liverpool crown, Dodd were up on a tax evasion charge, we had him crackin up in no time telling him how we wanted to go back by the dockside to chuck that Fred the weatherman in the water off of that floating dingy UK thingy he were stood on while filming live.

Anyone at The Thirsty Scholar on Oxford Rd the Saturday England played Greece at Old Trafford.
United were in The Walkabout on Peter St, City in The Scholar.
They thought they would be sneaky, went round the back and came up the side street at the side of The Viaduct.
Got well and truly smashed back down the street, my mate picked a well know Red from Oldham up of the floor and saved him from further damage.
Lots of firms in Town that day, Police captured Stoke ( I think after they had it with United on Deansgate, not sure ) Police rounded them up and put them on a train back home.
Burnley also had number's, Boro, not sure about Leeds think the OB captured them.

This was a snidey attack on innocents. The police are considering reopening the case. 12 shit houses were jailed for this. Can they be re tried for manslaughter?

I'm hoping so it was bang out of order. The poor bloke's life was totally ruined after it, now he's dead.

Been thinking of starting an Operation Omega thread for a while but may as well put it in here.
Mid to late 80s was the era for me. Went home and away. There was some form of trouble at most games. Had moved to Blackpool in early 80s and a group of us travelled together from there. Knew most of the Govenors and Young Governors. Home game was a meet in Bruswick or Merchants depending on who we were playing.
For big matches (Utd, Scouser. WH, Chelsea etc) we'd meet up with City's firm. Safety in numbers. Otherwise we would just go on the piss.
Around this time a few clubs were having early morning raids. We sensed City may be soon after a few large scale incidents and numerous smaller ones. Sure enough it did in 1988. 26 arrested for various offences. There is been a lot said about how the police infiltrated The Governors.
From comments in this thread I suspect a few people on here were either arrested or knew ones who were. Would be interested to hear how they think DS "Henri" and his fellow officers did infiltrate City's mob. Have my own theories but would like to hear others too.
Can't believe it's over 30 years ago!!!
Although Operation Omega was heralded as success for the police, it was pretty much a dire failure. The morning of the dawn raids over 100 houses were raided, which culminated in only about 20 arrests. This pretty much says it all.

i was told about the proposed raids probably a good 6 months prior to them happening, whilst waiting outside Huddersfield train station for the train home after our saturday game with them. This really dodgy looking City fan off his tits, came up to me and my mate and asked 'do you battle lads'.
After a few nervous glances between us, he says 'its alright lads, just letting you know theres gonna be dawn raids soon, so if you battle, get rid of any scrapbooks or photos of yourselves battling, ....my scrapbook is hid in my grandads shed!!!'

The thing was, me and my mate were 16 at the time, and i was probably 9st wet through and probably looked less like any type of 'hooligan' or belonging to a firm.

So I'm pretty sure that if i knew about the raids, then all the main players, and nearly every man and his dog knew the raids were coming.

I also think the majority of those arrested & charged, were those that were identifiable from CCTV footage, and without the scrapbooks & photos the police expected to find during the raids to use as evidence, a lot of lads got away with it.

Can’t charge anyone with a death if someone dies a year after the attack never mind 5.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.