Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

I used to watch the fighting going off in the grounds as a young lad in the 70s thinking this is what happens at football and be scared shitless. Little did I know I would be one of them in the years that followed.
I lived in a pit village and after the strikes the future looked grim for most lads leaving school as it did for many around the country. Fighting was common in the local, pit men on pit men and their familes who went on strike and who didn't, we fought with kids from the next villages it tore the comunity apart for several years. I grew up with this and football was my outlet in the early 80s.
The last few pages brought back some memories, in paticular the talk of the NF in the city ranks. At 15 I was a fully fledge skinhead, I was young stupid and got tagged along by the older lads I hung around with from my village, I was a big lad looked 20 and tried acting it but like I said stupid. The next couple of years I mixed with a went all over to meetings and concerts with what you would call some hardcore NF members but being honest it was more the being part of something that was my main reason for being there. I was pulled up and questioned many times as one of my mates who lived next door at the time was black and many knew it. At 17 I fucked it off because basically I wasn't a rasict **** and just wanted to scrap with punks,mods or rockers.
To say there wasn't a rascist element at City is wrong, they were there and 100% leafleting went on outisde and inside the ground. I saw city fans at the same meetings and concerts that I went to a few years earlier handing out leaflets . The truth is we had NF members who stood toe to toe with black and asian going fans but hid their NF activities and these were not a young teenager like me but men in their 20s 30s and 40s. There is no doubt they tried to garner support among match going fans but couldn't do it at City to any real degree.

By then I had come to my senses and didn't care about calling them out which caused me a bit of trouble at the ground and much more back in my village were I was called the associated names for having black mates by NF members and had some serious threats. It ended with a visit to my house but luckily I was warned beforehand and was waiting with a few mates, sadly I lost it a bit with a bat on some legs and ended up doing a little bit of time at our Queens finest. Not ashamed though as time was well spent chatting with fellow football lads from all over enjoying free bed and breakfast..
Anyway the open leafleting came to an end when they were eventually warned off, it took a few times before they got the message. One of the most active and leading members at the time was a bloke called Dave Greaves, I knew him quite well as he is my second cousin.It all came on top for him when a group of us walked over to him and his mates. He was all smiles to me until I told him in no uncertain terms if he and his mate didn't fuck off for good not only would they get a good kick in, his house in Cotmanhay and his mates houses stood with him would get some visits as well. As we all know there was some decent rough looking lads around at the time and about 30 were stood behind me as the message was passed on, it kind of made their mind up. Hopefully some of you on here may have joined in with this as well as it was a regular thing the following months until all the out in open leafleting stuff came to a near end.

I have to say a few times I was fronted up by a few lads when they first found out if someone mentioned it when the NF came up in talks going to games or in the pub, I desereved to be pulled up on it and didn't back down or hide the truth about it. But I was also backed up more sternly by some well know black lads who knew me well enough by then and also knew like most us at that age we were all young and daft and did some real stupid things.I know there is a couple who read this forum and I still can't thank you enough. Am I ashamed, a little for not being bright enough at the time, but like I said all I really wanted a good scrap with anyone and those smelly punks. Embarrassed ? most definatly, I had to have the talk about it with a nervous young black lad. I can tell you, it is not an easy subject when he's asked to marry your daughter, he agreed we call it even as he's a dipper.
I rambled on, but they were very troubled times for a lot of us both at and away from the football, thankfully we all mostly live, learn and do much nicer and better things now.

On the original subject, Oh the stories of those away days, the memories are coming back.I could do with doing a bit now, not for any trouble but all that running would make me loose a few pounds.

I know there a few here who might have been around at the time. It's not talked about much these days but we all know who we are and recognise each other even after all these years, giving in passing a knowing look.
It's ok, just after you've walked by I sometimes have a smile to myself as well.

Some may doubt it becasue of the violence but that aside we had some great fun times that me and mates still laugh about.
smelly punks? cheeky ****

Just had a flash back about that game I went to match and some of my lot didn’t bother .. they were boozing in the rose and crown Glossop
And a mini-bus of Chelsea from chesterfield walked in so yes it went off ...court day came always on a Tuesday most expecting a fine and a few hours community service at most....
Not to be!! 6 got 18 months served 12 months Inside ended up featuring on panorama.
One of the old bill asked if they got stuck in ?
so they replied yeh big time this was used as evidence in court and down they went.
Yes always on a Tuesday..Up The Town Hall Steps:)

It's not meant to be funny but it just is because the BBC man has probably never been to a football match in his life or had a fight. I don't know what's worse, him narrating it or that fake tough guy Danny Dyer.
Danny Dyer a fake ? nah never....you'll be telling me next Dave Whelan broke his leg you know

smelly punks? cheeky ****
You want some you smelly fucker ?

Hold on, hold on...a few ground rules before you answer
No biting, kicking, and none of that punching elbows or head butting either.
A bit of hair pulling(I'm bald still) is ok.
I've got bad knees can't move that quick now and an aversion to pain but be warned before you fancy your chances I'm still pretty decent at Indian burns.

Actually keep it to youself but I was nailing a punk at the time, Andrea hall. she had marvelous big round breasts and they looked tremendous in her scruffy holed vest, she didn't smell at all.

Just had a flash back about that game I went to match and some of my lot didn’t bother .. they were boozing in the rose and crown Glossop
And a mini-bus of Chelsea from chesterfield walked in so yes it went off ...court day came always on a Tuesday most expecting a fine and a few hours community service at most....
Not to be!! 6 got 18 months served 12 months Inside ended up featuring on panorama.
One of the old bill asked if they got stuck in ?
so they replied yeh big time this was used as evidence in court and down they went.
Those mini buses came from all over and the lads in them were not always as I first assumed from the club area they followed around. They often latched on to the more notorious lads teams, like you said chelsea, millwall and west ham were also quite popular. There was a group I found out that went to most hammers games in a transit mini bus from my village and others nearby. Back in the village you would think butter wouldn't melt monday to friday but come the weekend they were different animals. I got some lifts to the train station a few times if they were passing, "have fun" was the thanks word when getting dropped off. I clocked them once and they had that look of dread as they clocked me, was near the ground with a large group of rum looking lads hoping to welcome any hammers so it wasn't a friendly situation. The instinct to call them out nearly kicked in but gave them a pass. Obviously I would have paid for it later at some point so even though it's still up for debate I wasn't totall reckless.

Absolutely bang on re the merkeyside police, not forgetting the sergeants with those big sticks who must have been on bonuses based on the number of innocent, and not so innocent, Blues that they hit
It has been said repeatedly for years by all opposition football fans that Merseyside Police are a joke. I lived and worked there for seven years and can confirm they are absolutely the worst at controlling crowds. Both football stadiums, especially Goodison, are unsafe (can't believe Woodison even has a safety certificate). The police there couldn't even manage the Tall Ships event FFS.
The League Cup game at Anfield in 1981 was the worst public disorder I have seen. Worse even than full-scale riots I have been caught up in elsewhere. The police in Liverpool are, and always have been, a disgrace.

I used to watch the fighting going off in the grounds as a young lad in the 70s thinking this is what happens at football and be scared shitless. Little did I know I would be one of them in the years that followed.
I lived in a pit village and after the strikes the future looked grim for most lads leaving school as it did for many around the country. Fighting was common in the local, pit men on pit men and their familes who went on strike and who didn't, we fought with kids from the next villages it tore the comunity apart for several years. I grew up with this and football was my outlet in the early 80s.
The last few pages brought back some memories, in paticular the talk of the NF in the city ranks. At 15 I was a fully fledge skinhead, I was young stupid and got tagged along by the older lads I hung around with from my village, I was a big lad looked 20 and tried acting it but like I said stupid. The next couple of years I mixed with a went all over to meetings and concerts with what you would call some hardcore NF members but being honest it was more the being part of something that was my main reason for being there. I was pulled up and questioned many times as one of my mates who lived next door at the time was black and many knew it. At 17 I fucked it off because basically I wasn't a rasict **** and just wanted to scrap with punks,mods or rockers.
To say there wasn't a rascist element at City is wrong, they were there and 100% leafleting went on outisde and inside the ground. I saw city fans at the same meetings and concerts that I went to a few years earlier handing out leaflets . The truth is we had NF members who stood toe to toe with black and asian going fans but hid their NF activities and these were not a young teenager like me but men in their 20s 30s and 40s. There is no doubt they tried to garner support among match going fans but couldn't do it at City to any real degree.

By then I had come to my senses and didn't care about calling them out which caused me a bit of trouble at the ground and much more back in my village were I was called the associated names for having black mates by NF members and had some serious threats. It ended with a visit to my house but luckily I was warned beforehand and was waiting with a few mates, sadly I lost it a bit with a bat on some legs and ended up doing a little bit of time at our Queens finest. Not ashamed though as time was well spent chatting with fellow football lads from all over enjoying free bed and breakfast..
Anyway the open leafleting came to an end when they were eventually warned off, it took a few times before they got the message. One of the most active and leading members at the time was a bloke called Dave Greaves, I knew him quite well as he is my second cousin.It all came on top for him when a group of us walked over to him and his mates. He was all smiles to me until I told him in no uncertain terms if he and his mate didn't fuck off for good not only would they get a good kick in, his house in Cotmanhay and his mates houses stood with him would get some visits as well. As we all know there was some decent rough looking lads around at the time and about 30 were stood behind me as the message was passed on, it kind of made their mind up. Hopefully some of you on here may have joined in with this as well as it was a regular thing the following months until all the out in open leafleting stuff came to a near end.

I have to say a few times I was fronted up by a few lads when they first found out if someone mentioned it when the NF came up in talks going to games or in the pub, I desereved to be pulled up on it and didn't back down or hide the truth about it. But I was also backed up more sternly by some well know black lads who knew me well enough by then and also knew like most us at that age we were all young and daft and did some real stupid things.I know there is a couple who read this forum and I still can't thank you enough. Am I ashamed, a little for not being bright enough at the time, but like I said all I really wanted a good scrap with anyone and those smelly punks. Embarrassed ? most definatly, I had to have the talk about it with a nervous young black lad. I can tell you, it is not an easy subject when he's asked to marry your daughter, he agreed we call it even as he's a dipper.
I rambled on, but they were very troubled times for a lot of us both at and away from the football, thankfully we all mostly live, learn and do much nicer and better things now.

On the original subject, Oh the stories of those away days, the memories are coming back.I could do with doing a bit now, not for any trouble but all that running would make me loose a few pounds.

I know there a few here who might have been around at the time. It's not talked about much these days but we all know who we are and recognise each other even after all these years, giving in passing a knowing look.
It's ok, just after you've walked by I sometimes have a smile to myself as well.

Some may doubt it becasue of the violence but that aside we had some great fun times that me and mates still laugh about.
That is a fantastic post.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.