Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

People now forget what happened at the time was normal. So 40 years, 30 years later, people can't say that wasn't normal. (unfortunately) It was how it was at the time. Not only at football matches, but across society in general

And let's be honest, Thatcher, the establishment, and (racist) Police were worse than the fans.

It was a free for all on Saturday afternoons, just as much for the Police as it was for the fans.

I witness loads of police charges, including horse charges, down Claremont Road after the matches. Police brutality, unwarranted arrests, etc.

Football fans in general were treated like shi* by the Police no matter where they went. Not only did you have to dodge and fight opposing fans, they had to do the same with the Police.

Thatcher was Prime Minister from 1979 to 1980. She facilitated and oversaw mass (youth) unemployment, deprivation, poverty, etc, which eventually culminating in the national riots, and national civil disobedience.

Crazy times!
Great post couldn’t of put it any better.

I remember Oldham at Maine Rd 89/90 ish and there was no sign of them in Town after the game so a bus full of us decided to go and find them in Oldham on the 82.
A few stops from Oldham their lot were waiting at the bus stop so we all ducked down until the bus pulled up and then the roar went up!
Fuck me they didn’t know what hit them and soon disappeared.
Most of City got back on the bus but a few of us were left stranded and then the cunts reappear and chased us all over some estate!
I was glad to get back to Town in one piece tbh!
We carried on into Oldham and later on ended up ambushing the FYC as they crossed the gravel-like car park opposite Mumps station, like rabbits caught in headlights most of em!

People now forget what happened at the time was normal. So 40 years, 30 years later, people can't say that wasn't normal. (unfortunately) It was how it was at the time. Not only at football matches, but across society in general

And let's be honest, Thatcher, the establishment, and (racist) Police were worse than the fans.

It was a free for all on Saturday afternoons, just as much for the Police as it was for the fans.

I witness loads of police charges, including horse charges, down Claremont Road after the matches. Police brutality, unwarranted arrests, etc.

Football fans in general were treated like shi* by the Police no matter where they went. Not only did you have to dodge and fight opposing fans, they had to do the same with the Police.

Thatcher was Prime Minister from 1979 to 1980. She facilitated and oversaw mass (youth) unemployment, deprivation, poverty, etc, which eventually culminating in the national riots, and national civil disobedience.

Crazy times!
Very true, her reign was the time of inner city riots, the miners’ and printworkers’ strikes and even Acid house raves. Working class people gathering in large numbers were seen as the enemy within and targeted by various new legislation and a police force which was turned on the people and became almost a paramilitary wing of the Conservative government

Was surprised and horrified on a visit to Everton in the seventies by the attitude of Merseyside police to ordinary football fans. They had no interest in keeping ordinary footy fans safe their attitude was if your not prepared to fight you shouldn't have come. Found this attitude prevelant on all subsequent visits to Goodison and Anfield. At the 81 league cup semi was very grateful to City's boys for keeping the Scouse scum occupied while we got away. Friends who followed Blackpool reported similar experience at Tranmere a couple of them where attacked in front of a copper who shrugged his shoulders and said what do you expect me to do. For all their faults think GMP had a better attitude to the ordinary football fan.

Very true, her reign was the time of inner city riots, the miners’ and printworkers’ strikes and even Acid house raves. Working class people gathering in large numbers were seen as the enemy within and targeted by various new legislation and a police force which was turned on the people and became almost a paramilitary wing of the Conservative government

Looking back, it was state brutality. Today's dictators would have been proud of Thatcher and the establishment machine she controlled.

Just because She gave people the right to buy their council houses didn't make everything else she did acceptable.

At least she looked after the rich and upper middle classes. Arf!

There was also some sort of Hibs connection with the rags iirc, Scottish James as he was imaginatively known, fairly sure he was Hibs.
Yeah, last heard he was living in Thailand,. A few United lads went to live in Thailand, Powell another one in Thailand.

Was surprised and horrified on a visit to Everton in the seventies by the attitude of Merseyside police to ordinary football fans. They had no interest in keeping ordinary footy fans safe their attitude was if your not prepared to fight you shouldn't have come. Found this attitude prevelant on all subsequent visits to Goodison and Anfield. At the 81 league cup semi was very grateful to City's boys for keeping the Scouse scum occupied while we got away. Friends who followed Blackpool reported similar experience at Tranmere a couple of them where attacked in front of a copper who shrugged his shoulders and said what do you expect me to do. For all their faults think GMP had a better attitude to the ordinary football fan.

Merseyside Police were bad, but they were nothing compared to South Yorkshire Police. They used football fans as training exercises, and used what they'd learned against the miners, with the blessing of Thatcher and the Conservative Government. Saying that, I still don't have time for Arthur Scargill(RIP).He was as left as the Conservatives were right.

Even a posho Arsenal fan like Nick Hornby recounted a similar experience at Anfield

Merseyside Police were bad, but they were nothing compared to South Yorkshire Police. They used football fans as training exercises, and used what they'd learned against the miners, with the blessing of Thatcher and the Conservative Government. Saying that, I still don't have time for Arthur Scargill(RIP).He was as left as the Conservatives were right.
Scargill was an idiot, but the miners were lions led by a donkey. Joe Gormley showed what the miners could in the seventies getting the miners their best ever terms and conditions and bringing down Heath's Tory government, of course he was a Lancastrian. At the 1985 RL challenge cup final was smashed on the arm by a police baton at Wembley central station by one of the Mets finest who didn't like my " coal not dole" badge.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.