How Excited are you for this Coming Season?

I am insanely excited but a bit nervous too.

I feel like we might not win a major title ( BPL or UCL ) and yet play the best football we've ever seen.

Simply because the loss of Vincent, Fernandinho slowly stepping down makes our defense look pretty shaky. Rodri is a great signing but it might take him time to adapt to the Prem and the style we play. I don't know if Mendy, Zin or Angelino are really up to defend properly.

Can’t wait. Means winter is coming. Dark nights and more rain.

I’m ready to enjoy the football ride, but fear the media agenda will be to pounce on anything that can be made negative to try to tear us down. It’s the English way!

The narrative will be about whether “European Champions” Liverpool can knock us off our perch and whether there will be a surprise challenger (the PL normally throws one up early) that can break into the Top Six.

There will be intense pressure, because after winning all three domestic trophies, anything less than that is a “downturn in fortunes.”

Meanwhile, our “European failures at the hands of domestic rivals” will be the lazy narrative in the CL, where anything less than domination of our Group will be seen as weakness. This season, the CL MUST be targeted, because the aging/turnover that is coming (Silva, Fernandinho, Aguero) can only hurt us. That said, our ONLY weakness in Europe is our ability to give away goals. If we can tighten up at the back, especially away from home (where we always seem to be going gangbusters to win by 4 instead of the steady “keep it tight at the back” 2-0), then I fear no-one in Europe, even though this year is seeing MASSIVE CHANGES at all the big clubs.

I would take NOT winning the League, as long as it was not Liverpool winning it. If not us, then Chelsea, for Lampard. However, when I think of the Top Six, I simply can’t fathom another team beating us over 38 games! Not winning the PL, though, is conditioned on winning the CL.

I would trade 3 on the bounce (even though it is a United record) for our first CL....just to shut every fucker up and ram it up UEFA’s arse! Last year should have been our year, and I can’t believe how the Spurs game at the Etihad panned out, but that’s the new Typical City...not winning the best competitions versus a relegation struggle or a Cup exit to a giant killing minnow.

This season is definitely the season to play the kids. We have a ridiculous Second XI, which, when you throw in the kids, is tailor-made to keep players fit, active and engaged. I think we can win the League Cup in a canter with those players, unless someone plays balls out for that piece of silverware. And, while I appreciate the significance of the FA Cup, I’d just as soon go out in the 3rd Round versus anything other than winning it. The games come at a very bad time for the PL and CL, and not being in it would give the squad a breather, because the Intl calendar this year is mental, too.

Squad management will be a key component this year, and Pep may have to forgo his desire for a very tight 16 man “squad,” in favor of strategically utilizing the entire 25+ group of experienced players, plus 4-5 of the youngsters who are showing promise. Foden is assured FT squad, but players like Harwood-Bellis, Doyle, Bernabe, Garcia and Nmecha need to regularly feature on the bench. TBH, I’m disappointed that the PL hasn’t designated a requirement for at least two U21s on the bench for every game.

So, all in all, very excited for the season to start, but I’m leery that a Community Shield loss might create a very negative narrative around the team, while elevating some of the media darlings before we even kick a ball in anger. A solid display and victory at WHU should help restore natural balance to the universe and would definitely help shut people up for a bit. Any slips, though, will lead to media crucifixion, second guessing Pep, wondering if we have been found out, etc, etc, etc...They just can’t help themselves!!!

The future is Blue. The future is here. Now. Let’s win the CL and shut everyone the fuck up about who is the best team in Europe, and has been for the last two seasons!!!

Last edited:
If you guys aren't excited (and maybe a little nervous) then there's something wrong with you.

Beyond the fact that the start of every season is thrilling; after having no meaningful matches to attend for a couple of months, I'm always chomping at the bit to get to watch footy again. You guys however, are coming off probably the best domestic season by any club in the history of English football; playing a brand of beautiful, attacking footy; and have a chance to become only the 5th English club to win 3 titles in a row. How can you not be excited?

I’m ready to enjoy the football ride, but fear the media agenda will be to pounce on anything that can be made negative to try to tear us down. It’s the English way!

The narrative will be about whether “European Champions” Liverpool can knock us off our perch and whether there will be a surprise challenger (the PL normally throws one up early) that can break into the Top Six.

There will be intense pressure, because after winning all three domestic trophies, anything less than that is a “downturn in fortunes.”

Meanwhile, our “European failures at the hands of domestic rivals” will be the lazy narrative in the CL, where anything less than domination of our Group will be seen as weakness. This season, the CL MUST be targeted, because the aging/turnover that is coming (Silva, Fernandinho, Aguero) can only hurt us. That said, our ONLY weakness in Europe is our ability to give away goals. If we can tighten up at the back, especially away from home (where we always seem to be going gangbusters to win by 4 instead of the steady “keep it tight at the back” 2-0), then I fear no-one in Europe, even though this year is seeing MASSIVE CHANGES at all the big clubs.

I would take NOT winning the League, as long as it was not Liverpool winning it. If not us, then Chelsea, for Lampard. However, when I think of the Top Six, I simply can’t fathom another team beating us over 38 games! Not winning the PL, though, is conditioned on winning the CL.

I would trade 3 on the bounce (even though it is a United record) for our first CL....just to shut every fucker up and ram it up UEFA’s arse! Last year should have been our year, and I can’t believe how the Spurs game at the Etihad panned out, but that’s the new Typical City...not winning the best competitions versus a relegation struggle or a Cup exit to a giant killing minnow.

This season is definitely the season to play the kids. We have a ridiculous Second XI, which, when you throw in the kids, is tailor-made to keep players fit, active and engaged. I think we can win the League Cup in a canter with those players, unless someone plays balls out for that piece of silverware. And, while I appreciate the significance of the FA Cup, I’d just as soon go out in the 3rd Round versus anything other than winning it. The games come at a very bad time for the PL and CL, and not being in it would give the squad a breather, because the Intl calendar this year is mental, too.

Squad management will be a key component this year, and Pep may have to forgo his desire for a very tight 16 man “squad,” in favor of strategically utilizing the entire 25+ group of experienced players, plus 4-5 of the youngsters who are showing promise. Foden is assured FT squad, but players like Harwood-Bellis, Doyle, Bernabe, Garcia and Nmecha need to regularly feature on the bench. TBH, I’m disappointed that the PL hasn’t designated a requirement for at least two U21s on the bench for every game.

So, all in all, very excited for the season to start, but I’m leery that a Community Shield loss might create a very negative narrative around the team, while elevating some of the media darlings before we even kick a ball in anger. A solid display and victory at WHU should help restore natural balance to the universe and would definitely help shut people up for a bit. Any slips, though, will lead to media crucifixion, second guessing Pep, wondering if we have been found out, etc, etc, etc...They just can’t help themselves!!!

The future is Blue. The future is here. Now. Let’s win the CL and shut everyone the fuck up about who is the best team in Europe, and has been for the last two seasons!!!

Rather do the same again as last season. I have no interest in winning the UCL

Rather do the same again as last season. I have no interest in winning the UCL

David Silva desperately wants to win the CL and this is his last chance.

I don't care who you are, what your gripe is with UEFA etc., every City fan should be equally desperate to win it this year so possibly the greatest player we've ever had gets to retire on his terms, having achieved what he wants.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.