How good was last season's City?

Liverpool were better than us ,they just had a leaky defence.
Chelsea were also better, they just had no strikers (apart from Torres,Ba and Eto)
As Hugh McIlvanney said (the 'voice of sport' in the Sunday Times) - we are the most spectacular under-achievers in the history of the Premier League and our late title push had plenty of help from others.

adrianr said:
jimharri said:
Didn't you read the papers/watch the telly/listen to Talksport? Liverpool were better.

This is what the sidebar in Wikipedia will say from now on..

nkxtqdd.png

It's only fair.

ken_barnes said:
The thing is will next season live up to this season. As in, winning games by 4,5,6,even 7 goals.
Hopefully it will carry on, but it will be a hard act to follow.
But there again, if we win every game, win the League & the Champs League, who cares what the score is!

Teams will be strengthen their obvious weaknesses and the rags will return back into the frame. Like you say its going to be tough but I have no doubt we will be one of the title contenders although I can see us really going for the Champs league next season.

comparing seasons is a bit of fun, no more, So many variables it ends up being an exchange of opinons.
City have played some dazzling stuff this year, despite the injuries, probably do it more often next seaon, all being well. A partner for VK, and a midfield maestro, perhaps so no more unexpected defeats. The desperation of the media for rag/dipper success will abate slowly with the odd hysterical headline, let them get on with it, we've heard it all before.

Chelsea 2004/05 are still the most consistent team I have seen.

Corky said:
Chelsea 2004/05 are still the most consistent team I have seen.

Well they set a points record so that's not too surprising. Definitely the level we should be aiming though. Would love to take that record and the goals scored one at the same time.

Overall I'd give it 9/10.

1st quarter of the season was at best a 7/10 as we got used to Pellegrini's style particularly away from home.

The next phase following the loss at Sunderland to the home defeat by Chelsea was a 10/10. I can't think of a poor game except possibly Southampton away so maybe 9 and a half out of 10.

The the next 10 games or so we dropped off again and the loss to Wigan was poor although in hindsight making progress in the Cup may have cost us the league, we'll never know. Overall for that period 7/10 and I kow we won the League Cup then too but that was only one game in that periodn..

And then the final set of games from Hull away onwards I'd have to give it 9/10. The only poor game was Sunderland at home. The first 30 minutes against Liverpool were poor but most of the next 60 we were fantastic (again).

Overall then 9/10 and that's being tough because we played some of the best football I've ever seen but there were too many games when we just didn't quite make it. Hope these will be corrected for 2014-15.

Last season was the best I've ever seen from us.

Had we not had the pretty horrendous early season away form, suffered injuries to key men (and important squad players) and had our proper spine out there more often I think we'd have beaten Chelsea's 95 point record and won the league by 7 or more points.

Next season if we strengthen in defensive midfield, at centre back, get reliable cover for Zab and keep Aguero injury free we'll be a truly remarkable side and could with a bit of luck and a level playing field from the officials win the CL. If this season's Chelsea can get to the semis I see no reason at all why we couldn't go at least that far.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.