How good was Nig tonight (again)?!

dref619 said:
whys zabba not getting in on this wankfest, he was incredible last night

I thought he gave the ball away too much in the final third and gave Bale far too much space to run at him. And we know whos the quickest out of those two!!
Tackling was solid but distribution was poor IMHO.

I'm definitely not his biggest fan, but I thought last night he was very good for 75 mins. Unfortunately though, I still maintain that we are better without him in the team. Look at tottenham, in the last few weeks they have beaten us, chels and arsenal and lost to utd. Palacios didn't play against us, chels or arsenal but played against utd. He also played against utd chels arsenal earlier in season. I don't think its a coincidence. Last night, de jong made some great tackles, but how many did huddlestone or modric make, and ultimately they ran the midfield. I feel that to progress, sadly we have to leave these players behind.

He did pretty well but I wouldn't say it was his best performance. Mainly because he left Zabaleta on his own with Bale and Ekotto just before they scored. If he would have helped out and came across then Zabaleta might have been able to make a challenge instead of backing off.

Think we should buy midfielders for next season that can work around him. i.e

Winger Att-Mid De Jong Att-Mid Winger

Maybe if M.Johnson gets fit then he can take up one spot but someone like Lampard would be superb.

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
What is probably quantified on some site or other is the number of opposition attacks Nige has eradicated. But breaking down an attack and setting up the first pass of your own attack does light the blue touch paper for a lot of people.

He is not the total player but it is a team game. He does what he does better than most and that makes him world class. He admits that that is his game, and he gets greater satisfaction from blunting an attack than smacking in a thirty yarder.

One of the reasons why England won the World Cup in 66 was the inclusion of the tackling machine Gobby Nobby. He might be RedShite but he added an immeasurable part to the England whole and I think that is what Nige does. Give him partnership with a working Stevie Ireland, Michael Johnson or a 25 year old PaddyWhack and you will have a formidable pairing.

Excellent post 'back 'eader' Very good assesment of DJ's ability and potential. Oh for a fit Stevie Ireland.

Dunno about that 66 thing though, a bit before my time......

Looks great doesn't he? However, it's the things that he doesn't do that cost us. I maintain that if we had had Vieira and Barry on for ninety minutes then we'd have created a sight more chances than we did. We may even have been sitting pretty in fourth now.

Times change and there is no point in winning the ball if you are too slow in your release of it. Midfielders in a great side need more than one facet to their game. He hasn't got that.

He is a great ball winner, one of the best I have seen but, if we stick with him as integral part of the team, especially a team that plays with wide players, then we won't move on to the next level.

Mr Rich said:
He produces it at the top level.

I wouldn't blame any player for the loss, we were a bit unlucky but the future is bright the future is blue...

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEbYoiy6Wi8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEbYoiy6Wi8</a>

That was perhaps the gayest song ever created...ah well I'll stand by my comments, Nige always give 110% for the big matches.

De Jong is too restricted in his play to ever become a world class midfielder. He's a great player and I would never critise him but we're at a level now that requires more than just effort and commitment, we need quality. We need someone who can dictate the tempo of a game, someone who can put their foot on the ball, someone who can drive forward into space and draw defenders out of position when we have the ball. It's great that he can tackle and break up attacks but it's just not enough for a modern day midfielder with Champions League ambitions, we can get Michael Brown back to win a few tackles if that's all we want.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.